5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OK, I'm ticked off....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2000, 08:30 PM

tonight I was driving home in the dark, and it begain to rain. I turn on my wipers and hear this swish swish sound as the wipers do their thing. Somethings odd. It doesnt normally make that noise like somethings on my windsheild, plus there was a haze that was hard to see through. I felt the window and there was a film. I pulled into a gas station to try cleaning it but to no avail...then I peered closer to the problem....its ****ing paint overspray from he new office/house in my apartment complex they were painting yesterday. I parked across the lot from the house, so I was a good ways away. My whole car feels like fine grit sand paper. AAAAAAAAGH. Think they will pay for a detail job? Or do you think Im screwed?
Old 09-22-2000, 08:38 PM

Savas I don't know about paying for detail job or not but U can try.. as far as getting the paint off. Use a Scraper with dish washing liquid to scrap the winshield, and use a Clay putty to buff the paint and then put a fresh coat of wax. make sure U put soap on the window.. don't scrape without soap or it'll leave scratches. Good luck..
Old 09-22-2000, 10:54 PM

try

waxin' the car first. i know you can get spray paint of sometimes.
Old 09-23-2000, 04:11 AM

Help

Where do you live? In Texas this is a violation of the environmental laws and your local TNRCC office may be able to help you. If you live in another state, find the state agency that handles environmental issues. If you live in Texas and need a phone number, let me know.

Jim
Old 09-23-2000, 05:53 AM

JJ, I live in North Carolina, so I am not sure about the laws here. I'm going to the office this morning, and I am going to let them know what happened. Its a really nice older apartment community-very well taken care of, so I'm thinking I might get them to help me get this paint on my car, considering had I been warned of the impending spint spray, I would have gladly parked my car a far distance away, and I would not have this problem. If they say there is nothing they can do, then I can definitely pitch a bi*ch if I have to. might not solve anything, but will make me feel better.
On a side note, I am REALLY glad its not a black car, or I would be SEVERELY p***ed off. Maxima owners tend to be meticulous neat freaks when it comes to their cars, I being one of them.
Old 09-23-2000, 06:58 AM
Got Bent?

Try a clay bar first to see if it can remove the overspray. Mothers makes a good one. After the clay bar, use a polish and then finish off with a wax. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2000, 07:35 AM

Paint

I understand, I am the same way about my cars. If they don't help find the environmental agency for NC. I'm sure they have one. It is the state's version of the EPA. I know, I work for the one in Texas and I have had similar cases like these where we conducted an "Investigation" with the company spraying the paint (nobody is allowed to spray paint and have "fugitive emissions" flying all over the place. It is not legal in Texas and probable the same in NC. If you can resolve it yourself fine, but if not, my advice is to call your state environmental agency. Only cost a phone call and they will do the work for you. Get all the information you can for them (date address, company name, etc.). Hope it all works out for you. I was really hopeing you were in Texas as I know someone in every location.

Jim
Old 09-23-2000, 08:37 AM

Re: Paint

Try Zaino.Com for a great clay bar. I had some crap on my max when I picked it up from the dealer and the clay does a GREAT job. Plan on spending ALL day on it, you have to wash it, clay it, polish it, then wax it. I sure wouldn't use a scraper on the glass! Just use the clay on all the windows then wax then as well - just NO WAX on the winsheild.

Good Luck!

Old 09-23-2000, 08:44 AM
TommyBoiSxty9

Originally posted by SaVas
JJ, I live in North Carolina, so I am not sure about the laws here. I'm going to the office this morning, and I am going to let them know what happened. Its a really nice older apartment community-very well taken care of, so I'm thinking I might get them to help me get this paint on my car, considering had I been warned of the impending spint spray, I would have gladly parked my car a far distance away, and I would not have this problem. If they say there is nothing they can do, then I can definitely pitch a bi*ch if I have to. might not solve anything, but will make me feel better.
On a side note, I am REALLY glad its not a black car, or I would be SEVERELY p***ed off. Maxima owners tend to be meticulous neat freaks when it comes to their cars, I being one of them.
U have every right to be pissed and they SHOULD pay for a detail or to get it removed, remember, its THEIR fault ur car has paint on it...not yours

~tom

Old 09-23-2000, 10:53 AM

UPDATE

I talked to the complex manager, and showed her the problem. She then said she would get in contact with the paint foreman with the company they use to paint the apartments. Sure enough within the hour he was knocking on my door. We looked at the car, he even tried to wax it off himself, but to no avail. (All the detail shops were closed today, or did not handle overspray). We did eventually find one that has given me an appointment for 9am Monday morning. The paint foreman rode there with me, and gave me a company check, as its going to cost between $150 to 200 bucks to do the job right. So even though my car is a bit speckled right now, I will once again be happy come Monday.

Another thing, what is an easy wax solvent for the rougher plastic on the car's exterior. He accidentally got some on the area below the winsheild and it doesnt wipe off. I'm not mad at him for trying, but dont like the wax on it either.
Old 09-23-2000, 11:10 AM

Paint-etc

Glan to see it is all working out for you. Any good company knows they can be held responsible and usually bend over backwards to make it right, so you don't cary it further.

Also, I use WD-40 to get most anything off my cars. A little goes a long way and wash real good immediately afterwards. It has cleaned even road tar off my cars, but maybe someone else knows something better these days?

Good Luck,

Jim