5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Warranty work coming / take Berk off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Warranty work coming / take Berk off?

I have an appointment on May 3rd to have my tranny looked at by Nissan for slipping issues between 1st and 2nd gear (auto). I currently have 46k miles on the car and also have an extended warranty as well, so I don't have to worry about the expense coming from my pocket. My question is, should I take off my Berk Intake prior to taking the car in for the work?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:37 PM

If you still have your air box I would put it back on. It depends on the dealer, but I wouldn't risk it. You could try to call the dealer annoymous and ask if that voids a warranty.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Yeah, I still have the factory air box assembly. Might be a good idea anyways as I didn't clean the throttle body prior to installing the Berk a few months back. This would give me a chance to do so now. Calling them might be a good idea as well.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:27 PM
scopium

i dont think it matters...
the intake is not causing slippage so it shouldnt void the warranty...
unless they can specifically prove that is soley your intake that is the direct cause of the slippage

Old 04-17-2004, 09:32 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Yeah, I still have the factory air box assembly. Might be a good idea anyways as I didn't clean the throttle body prior to installing the Berk a few months back. This would give me a chance to do so now. Calling them might be a good idea as well.
if you have a good relationship with the dealer then i would not worry about it. i have never taken any of my mods off which are bolt on but i have a great relationship with my dealer. i have had a ton of warranty work and have had nothing said about any mods including the tsb for tranny slipping which included replacing tranny solenoids and the tcm. if you are questioning it at all, then i would just put the stock box back on.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Cool...thanks for the input guys. I think I'll just pull it off prior. I have only taken my car in for two items period, so I don't have a strong relationship with my nearest dealership; Germain.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:52 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Appointment is tomorrow and I just spoke with my dealer's service manager. He said that "if the intake was installed correctly, you shouldn't have any warranty issues" He mentioned something about if there was any damage to the MAF during/after installatoin, that would be the reason for the warranty being voided. I didn't damage anything when I installed it and in over 3 months, I haven't had a single SES. Also, not exactly sure how to prove whether or not it was installed properly, so I'm going out to the garage to take it off now. *sigh*
Old 05-04-2004, 01:17 PM

Appointment is tomorrow and I just spoke with my dealer's service manager. He said that "if the intake was installed correctly, you shouldn't have any warranty issues" He mentioned something about if there was any damage to the MAF during/after installatoin, that would be the reason for the warranty being voided. I didn't damage anything when I installed it and in over 3 months, I haven't had a single SES. Also, not exactly sure how to prove whether or not it was installed properly, so I'm going out to the garage to take it off now. *sigh*
Give me your impressions of power down low with stock airbox back on please.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:12 PM

Even if you did damage your MAF, that has nothing to do with the tranny. The mod would have to be directly associated with the tranny to void warrantee on that part... Like if you had the VB mod done.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not to ruin your thread, but my question is if I should take off my frankencar intake before going to the dealer for an oil change and window motor problem? i don't thinkj I should. I'm just worried that they might put some info in their computer that I have an intake and I won't be able to get my MAF replaced if it goes bad. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:56 PM
scopium

^^^ even if they do put in on the computer you can always take it to another dealer.. but i doubt they willl.....
and they can only void your MAF warranty if you take the car in with the after market intake whne your maf blows... if you maf blows put on the stock air box and take it in.. and deny everything they say

Old 05-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Ferbs02SMMax
Give me your impressions of power down low with stock airbox back on please.
After removing the Berk, I did push it a few times on the 3 mile drive to the dealership and noticed a couple things.

1. I remember why I love this car so much; even without the intake, this car moves.

2. After 3 months with the intake, I now remember how quiet this car is.

But to answer your question, the power in the lower rpm range is still very strong, but with the slipping tranny, I feel that it may be lacking its actual performance possibilities. The Berk obviously adds the whole sound factor, but after driving it again with the factory air box (dirty filter too) its still very strong. I currently have 47k miles on my car, and I don't really drive it all that hard normally, so if they do find something wrong with the tranny and repair it, hopefully it will improve upon an already great ride.

Was hard for me to just park it in their lot and drive off. Luckily, I am riding in style tonight driving my brother-in-law's Escalade.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:26 AM
CJ7

I take it off. On another board I visit a guy was declined warrenty on his engine(dead oil pump) because he had a K&N filter on it and they said that it increased the HP causing more stress on the engine. He fought them and ended up splitting the deductable only because he was able to show them that even with the K&N at 6k feet it made less HP then it was rated from the factory.

I have a extended warrenty and just took my Max in because of the SES light and a noise from the front right wheel. I need 6 new coils(not covered) and a new strut(covered). I think I'm going to cancel my extended warrenty.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Car is still at the dealer. The service manager called today stating some silenoid in the tranny was bad and that they had to order one. Should have it back tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Well after 4 days without the Maxima, I picked it up today and the car is shifting 100x's better. The service tech stated that there was a faulty silenoid in the valve body causing the issue. They replaced the faulty parts under the powertrain warranty and I got the car back with $0 out of my pocket. However, I was a bit curious as to why my car had 12 miles racked up since I turned it in to them and I purposely turned off my CD player and had it set to track #2 on Robert Randall and the Family Band CD, and the CD player was on track 4 and the volume was cranked way up above the listening level when I dropped it off to them. Guess the service tech liked my audio setup as much as me? Anyways, believe it or not, without the tranny slipping between 1st and 2nd gears, the car actually seems quite a bit quicker. Currently, the Berk is still off the car and once I put that back on, I think I'll have a BIG SMILE on my face. Can't wait for the Cattman muffler to get here Monday and get that installed as well. Will take pics and do a write-up on the install of the Cattman muffler at that time.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:46 PM

i had my 2k3 with 14000 miles in for the slipping tranny tsb last week.

i too have a intake (injen) to be safe then sorry i took it off before taking it in.

the new selenoid assembly is now installed and my tranny shifts like new.

i guess it's saf to put back on my injen now.

i did notice alot more low end torque with the stock airbox. but it doesnt pull nearly

as hard up top.

i think for day to day driving the stock air box is better.

for racing definately the cai, but since i already have it, i'll put it back on.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:34 AM

Well after 4 days without the Maxima, I picked it up today and the car is shifting 100x's better. The service tech stated that there was a faulty silenoid in the valve body causing the issue. They replaced the faulty parts under the powertrain warranty and I got the car back with $0 out of my pocket. However, I was a bit curious as to why my car had 12 miles racked up since I turned it in to them and I purposely turned off my CD player and had it set to track #2 on Robert Randall and the Family Band CD, and the CD player was on track 4 and the volume was cranked way up above the listening level when I dropped it off to them. Guess the service tech liked my audio setup as much as me? Anyways, believe it or not, without the tranny slipping between 1st and 2nd gears, the car actually seems quite a bit quicker. Currently, the Berk is still off the car and once I put that back on, I think I'll have a BIG SMILE on my face. Can't wait for the Cattman muffler to get here Monday and get that installed as well. Will take pics and do a write-up on the install of the Cattman muffler at that time.

Good to know dealer took care of your problem promptly. I think the reason your Max feels quicker is because of the crisper shifts. When my trans was acting up (I didn't realize until the problem was too far gone ) it felt sluggish during shifts, now with the new trans it is seamless, quickly glides into best gear when I get on it.

Tell me about the Berk, anytime I go through tunnels, I gotta goose it a bit to hear it echo.

I would like to hear your intake/exhaust combo. Do you have a Cattman ypipe too? Also, compare the weights and quality of the Cattman exhaust vs oem exhaust.

Fernando.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Ferbs02SMMax
Good to know dealer took care of your problem promptly. I think the reason your Max feels quicker is because of the crisper shifts. When my trans was acting up (I didn't realize until the problem was too far gone ) it felt sluggish during shifts, now with the new trans it is seamless, quickly glides into best gear when I get on it.

Tell me about the Berk, anytime I go through tunnels, I gotta goose it a bit to hear it echo.

I would like to hear your intake/exhaust combo. Do you have a Cattman ypipe too? Also, compare the weights and quality of the Cattman exhaust vs oem exhaust.

Fernando.
Yeah, Germain Nissan of Columbus has taken care of my car very well since I've owned it. They do quality work and they don't put up any hesitation (i.e. "unable to duplicate the problem") I am glad I found a dealership I am happy to work with and one that I trust to work on my car. I have an extended 7yr 100k mile warranty, so if anymore issues arrise I can hopefully get away with those like this one with no money out of my pocket.

In regards to the Cattman setup, I currently do not have any exhaust modifications and the Cattman SS muffler will be my first. I will most likely end up adding the Cattman B pipe as well. I will begin a new thread in regards to the Cattman setup and link it to this one as well. I'll also take some measurements and weights of the two mufflers, Cattman and OEM.
Thanks,
-Tim