5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

so ya.. i totalled the max last weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 08:53 PM

so ya.. i totalled the max last weekend...

Just found out this morning that its "totalled" my insurance co wont spend the $$ to fix it.. over 12k in damage.. i hit a freeway median at like 60mph and ripped up the front end then the back end slammed into the median too and ****ed up the rear axle and both rims on the left of the car.. so now im looking for a new car.. have no clue what to get.. The only thing im gonna pull from the car is my hid's and most of the stereo and the strut bar.. so make some offers u vultures..
im out

Adam
Old 04-19-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2000MaximaSE
Just found out this morning that its "totalled" my insurance co wont spend the $$ to fix it.. over 12k in damage.. i hit a freeway median at like 60mph and ripped up the front end then the back end slammed into the median too and ****ed up the rear axle and both rims on the left of the car.. so now im looking for a new car.. have no clue what to get.. The only thing im gonna pull from the car is my hid's and most of the stereo and the strut bar.. so make some offers u vultures..
im out

Adam
You still have the SE tail lights? I will give you 150$. What the hell were you doing sleeping??. I think your next car should be a g35 coupe!
Old 04-19-2004, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dee Dibease
You still have the SE tail lights? I will give you 150$. What the hell were you doing sleeping??. I think your next car should be a g35 coupe!
nah.. they are in pieces on the I17 i didnt fall asleep... i had to swerve and the car went way out of control..
Old 04-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nah.. they are in pieces on the I17 i didnt fall asleep... i had to swerve and the car went way out of control..
Sorry to hear that man. It sounds like what happened to my 2000. Both walls of the 17 me..
Old 04-19-2004, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
Sorry to hear that man. It sounds like what happened to my 2000. Both walls of the 17 me..
ha ha.. that road is slick as **** when your going sideways
Old 04-19-2004, 10:29 PM

POST Pics of the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trance Artur
POST Pics of the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
looks like your alittle too eager to see the pics of his totalled car.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by FusionAcid
looks like your alittle too eager to see the pics of his totalled car.
ill take a bunch of pics when i go to pull parts from it on wed
Old 04-20-2004, 05:06 AM
Reported

ill take a bunch of pics when i go to pull parts from it on wed
your taking out the hids? how much do u want for them and how badly were they damaged?
Old 04-20-2004, 06:12 AM

Sorry to hear. It really concerns me to hear yet another example of someone with a RSB losing control of their car. It appears to be a common problem for RSB owners. The rear end get loose very easily and accidents occur. This is the second instance I've seen this month on the org...
Old 04-20-2004, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by housecor
Sorry to hear. It really concerns me to hear yet another example of someone with a RSB losing control of their car. It appears to be a common problem for RSB owners. The rear end get loose very easily and accidents occur. This is the second instance I've seen this month on the org...
That's a good point. The RSB might be compressing the off-loaded side too much. You can see cars do this in auto cross, they call it a "fire hydrant" or "walking the dog" I think. That's when the rear tire on the offloaded side actually comes off the ground, like a male dog taking a leak. The RSB compresses that side so hard in a turn, it brings the tire off the ground.

Here's a pic of one doing just that. What to notice here is that the tire is off the ground, but the suspension is compressed. You'd expect with the tire off the ground that the suspension would be unloaded (there would be a lot of air between the tire and the wheel well like when you jack it up). The suspension is compressed because the RSB is doing its job, too well. IMHO, that's an indication the front and rear suspensions are not well balanced. In other words, beefing up the rear suspension more than the front, like when someone throws only a RSB on a maxima. The front can sway a ton, but the rear wants to stay tight, things end up not sqaure. Look how much this VW leaned up front.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:05 AM

Whoa whoa whoa WAIT A SECOND...

I totalled my maxima on 3-18 after swerving and losing control of the vehicle. I too had a RSB, I also had a FSTB as well... Are these sway bars doing more harm than help? Someone with insight, please make aware the dangers of these bars!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by PHATMAN5050

I totalled my maxima on 3-18 after swerving and losing control of the vehicle. I too had a RSB, I also had a FSTB as well... Are these sway bars doing more harm than help? Someone with insight, please make aware the dangers of these bars!
Now I am getting scared. Did you notice it handled different when you got both on? I want to get both, but now im scared to.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Damn Adam...sorry to hear that, but you know you're getting the G35 now.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by PHATMAN5050

I started a poll at http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=304265 to gauge how common this issue is.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by housecor
I started a poll at http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=304265 to gauge how common this issue is.
For the most part people dont seem to be having a problem with this. I understand how if the bar were too stiff you would get some pretty nasty effects, but I would hope a lot of R&D went into producing these RSBs.

Maybe we could find out what kind of suspension set-ups the people in the pole have. Maybe it is a combination of cretain aftermarket shocks and springs and RSBs that are causing problems.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
For the most part people dont seem to be having a problem with this. I understand how if the bar were too stiff you would get some pretty nasty effects, but I would hope a lot of R&D went into producing these RSBs.

Maybe we could find out what kind of suspension set-ups the people in the pole have. Maybe it is a combination of cretain aftermarket shocks and springs and RSBs that are causing problems.
HEY GUYS I DIDNT HAVE AN RSB! I did have a fstb though.. the back end was alllll over the place when i lost control.. i almost recovered but i was already kissing the wall by then.. The hids are an aftermarket h4 kit.. they are f'n awesome.. best kit that there ever was.. i have had them for like 2 years and they still look amazing.. if whatever car i get next doesnt have h4 bulbs then i will sell the kit on here
Old 04-20-2004, 10:40 AM

Adam,

What condition were your front compared to rear tires in?

Also, what psi front/rear do you normally run?
Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Adam,

What condition were your front compared to rear tires in?

Also, what psi front/rear do you normally run?

all 4 were fairly new with the fronts being more worn than the back.. they were nitto 450s all round.. i keep it at stock psi.. 35 i think
Old 04-20-2004, 10:47 AM

Damn...that eliminates that Motor Trend article as a possibility. JOo just don't know how to drive.

Pick out what color G35 you're getting yet?

all 4 were fairly new with the fronts being more worn than the back.. they were nitto 450s all round.. i keep it at stock psi.. 35 i think
Old 04-20-2004, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Damn...that eliminates that Motor Trend article as a possibility. JOo just don't know how to drive.

Pick out what color G35 you're getting yet?
ha ha.. the fact i kept this car in one piece for almost 4 yrs is amazing to me

i dont think im gonna get a g35.. im cheap now and dont care as much about cars.. ill probably get like a 2001 passat.. they are cheap and the 1.8t can be fun
Old 04-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Look guys, there are many different factors that could cause you to lose control. Let's not jump on a bandwagon and blame the RSB. First of all, the tires are what actually makes contact with the road. What were the condition of those. Apparently they were brand new. Do you know if the brand you put on have a good amount of friction to keep them from slipping? What were the road conditions at the time? Was there any amount of water? Just a damp road surface, not standing water, can dramatically reduce the friction coefficient between your tires and the road. Did you have stock suspension? Possibly the softness of the stock suspension with an RSB will actually set the critical point of having a tire lift off of the ground lower than with a stiffer suspension.

My point is that it was probably a combination of many things that caused these accidents.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by schmatt
Did you have stock suspension? Possibly the softness of the stock suspension with an RSB will actually set the critical point of having a tire lift off of the ground lower than with a stiffer suspension.

My point is that it was probably a combination of many things that caused these accidents.

ok here is how the accident happened.. i was in the far left lane and swerved hard.. when i did this the back end came out to the left and im now like 3 lanes over heading towards the right wall.. i corrected and the back end came out to the right and im heading to the left wall.. i correct again and im now pointing forward but still slam into the left median.. Im running semi new nitto 450 tires on HR springs with stock struts and a FSTB.. this is the first time i had the back end come out on me and once it did it was impossible to get it straitened out in the amount of space i had..
Old 04-20-2004, 12:23 PM

ok here is how the accident happened.. i was in the far left lane and swerved hard.. when i did this the back end came out to the left and im now like 3 lanes over heading towards the right wall.. i corrected and the back end came out to the right and im heading to the left wall.. i correct again and im now pointing forward but still slam into the left median.. Im running semi new nitto 450 tires on HR springs with stock struts and a FSTB.. this is the first time i had the back end come out on me and once it did it was impossible to get it straitened out in the amount of space i had..
FSTB doesn't really mess with geomerty or spring rates, I wouldn't even consider it a factor.

I've gotten the rear loose on all sorts of cars from trying to quickly avoid something at highway speeds, always managed to get straight again (luck).

They teach you in race driving school that if you get the rear loose at fast speeds to: "when in a spin, with two step in". In other words, if you can't straighten it out and it's coming around, LOCK UP THE BRAKES (both feet on the brakes as hard as you can)!!! Gives you somewhat of a chance to keep off the walls. If you don't lock 'em up, the car will just shoot in the direction it's pointed (usually a wall) when enough speed scrubs off and the tires hook again. If the tires are locked, it will just keep skidding in the direction of momentun which hopefully is straight down the road. I'm not sure if that will work with ABS.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:33 PM

.. i was in the far left lane and swerved hard.. when i did this the back end came out to the left

This was not caused by your suspension set up, this accident has to do with weight transfer just keep in mind that our cars are very front heavy. Picture this; something happened to make 2000MaximaSE swerve, I'm sure he braked at the same time. What this does is transfers all the weight to the front left tire, so this tire has a ton of grip, and that’s why the car turns so tight, but also the rear tires now have little or no traction. So the car will then pivot around the left front tire. Now 2000MaximaSE is heading for the right wall and continues to break hard, then turns causing the same thing to happen in the opposite direction.

The nice thing about sports cars are that they are balanced, front to back, so when your in situations like this the car handles like it's supposed to. We are not blessed with this equation we have nothing but an empty back seat and an empty trunk (in my situation) over the rear wheels.

I know from experience that when I hit the breaks and turn the back end gets very slippery and again that’s because there is no weight over the rear when you are hitting the brakes.

The thing that I have learned about handling our car is to break in a straight line, then turn only if absolutely necessary and come off the brake when turning.

I don't want to sound like a know it all, and I have gotten into my share of car accidents, but if you really want to protect yourself and your car and become a safe driver try autocross. Mazda has one where you can use their car, or you can do SCCAII and use your own. There is no way to plan for emergency maneuvers but you can get practice at it.

2000MaximaSE sorry to hear about your loss but glad to hear your ok.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Ben

Hey 2000MaximaSe, what color is your interior?
My sunglass holder is broken, if yours matches, I would try to make it worth your while to ship yours.

Tough luck on the accident.
Thanks!!
Old 04-20-2004, 01:42 PM

Sorry to hear man. Glad you made it out ok and good luck with your next car.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:06 PM

Wow. that sucks. Maybe you can move up to a gth gen.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:19 PM

ha ha.. the fact i kept this car in one piece for almost 4 yrs is amazing to me

i dont think im gonna get a g35.. im cheap now and dont care as much about cars.. ill probably get like a 2001 passat.. they are cheap and the 1.8t can be fun
If you're feeling cheap, stay away from VW at all costs.

A site you might want to check out:

http://www.myvwlemon.com/

Good luck with your next car.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:24 PM

what kind of HID do you have? and do yous till have the spoiler?

thx
Old 04-20-2004, 03:16 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 6spmax
If you're feeling cheap, stay away from VW at all costs.

A site you might want to check out:

http://www.myvwlemon.com/

Good luck with your next car.
I second that....we just got rid of my wife's 2k Jetta because it was t total POS in terms of reliability. She threw down 16K+ and got a loaded Mazda 3s.
That car is FUN to drive, though it doesn't have the torque of the max...and it's nice and roomy inside for a smaller car (much larger than the Jetta inside)...
Old 04-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

People crash because they push their car further than it can go. I spun out going 90mph on an on ramp and spun into the 405 North (here in Cali) at 3PM in the afternoon, luckily it wasn't too busy and everyone on the freeway was able to avoid me and brake in time. I spun 2 1/2 times. Yes, I do have a RSB and it was my fault, not the sway bar's fault. I was being an idiot.

If you guys are worried about the RSB being too stiff then loosen it so that the mounting points are furthest out. Most people here, including myself have the thing adjusted for maximum stiffness which feels great for "spirited" street driving.

Just use your common sense and you'll stay out of trouble.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:34 AM

Skid recovery in a FWD car is an unnatural act - braking is exactly the opposite of what's needed, you have to stand on the gas. I had to learn this when I switched from racing RWD to FWD, an FWD car set up to handle well will rotate in a turn just with a throttle lift because of the weight transfer. This is a problem because your natural instinct when in trouble is to lift or brake.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by wdave
Skid recovery in a FWD car is an unnatural act - braking is exactly the opposite of what's needed, you have to stand on the gas. I had to learn this when I switched from racing RWD to FWD, an FWD car set up to handle well will rotate in a turn just with a throttle lift because of the weight transfer. This is a problem because your natural instinct when in trouble is to lift or brake.
ya.. in hind sight i should have just held the car strait and gassed it instead of trying to recover and hitting the brakes.. oh well.. shiit happens
Old 04-22-2004, 11:31 AM

I had about $9,800 worth of dammage on my 01 SE bastards did'nt tottal it.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:17 PM

sorry to hear that man... just before the summer tooo
Old 04-22-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nyc2kMax
sorry to hear that man... just before the summer tooo
thanks.. im really starting to miss the max.. looking at everyones car on here is making me realize i dont want another car.. i want my max back
Old 04-22-2004, 06:54 PM

This is how I totalled my 1991 Maxima With an RSB and FSTB. That was a scary day. Sounds like my damage was a little worse though, I hit the wall head on and hit it 3 times while spinning. Glad to hear you are OK though! Thats the most important thing.