5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stolen HID's on EBay? Anything we can do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 06:41 PM

Stolen HID's on EBay? Anything we can do?

1st off, I don't know if the following 02-03 HID's on Ebay are stolen or not (yes, I'm covering my a$$), but the broken brackets sure makes you wonder, even if there are Nissan parts boxes in the picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710

My question is, is there anything that we can do, or the police (better) to meet w/ these people at the time of transaction and determine if the units are stolen or not, and if they are, take them to jail? I saw a set a couple months ago that appeared to clearly be ripped from a car, and when I sent an email to the local police for the town the seller said was home base for them, and I never even got so much as a "thanks for the tip" from the police.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Reported

Originally Posted by 3Pedals_6Speeds
1st off, I don't know if the following 02-03 HID's on Ebay are stolen or not (yes, I'm covering my a$$), but the broken brackets sure makes you wonder, even if there are Nissan parts boxes in the picture.

My question is, is there anything that we can do, or the police (better) to meet w/ these people at the time of transaction and determine if the units are stolen or not, and if they are, take them to jail? I saw a set a couple months ago that appeared to clearly be ripped from a car, and when I sent an email to the local police for the town the seller said was home base for them, and I never even got so much as a "thanks for the tip" from the police.
well the best way to stop the problem would be to eliminate the demand. thats not going to happen so Nissan is trying to fix it by having dealers install brackets and data dots. police could use the data dots to trace the headlights if they were stolen. i would ask that seller for a proof of purchase on those xenons before i would bid (he does live in one of areas plagued by thefts)
Old 04-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Banned

Broken Tabs indicate them being stolen. In order to steal them, unless you have stolen the car and can open the hood, you need to break the tabs. I doubt he bought them, the boxes are definitly there for show.

about doing anything about this, theres nothing you can do besides the recall

brandon
Old 04-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the thing that sucks is that this could have also be an unsuspecting buyer that didnt know he/she was buying stolen goods & trying to wash the blood off his/her hands... & put it on someone elses. for all we know, those HIDs may have been drifting from buyer to buyer on ebay

the cops more than likely wont do sh*t about it unless ppl start making a big stink about it. they would much rather fill out a police report, have ur insurance cover the damages, and call it a day.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:31 AM

unfortunately, thats just the way it is.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:08 AM
Mauja He Mauja

i e-mailed the seller. said the pic is not actual. that pic is from another auction. i say they are fishy
Old 04-24-2004, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by dba1999us
i e-mailed the seller. said the pic is not actual. that pic is from another auction. i say they are fishy
I just emailed him and asked to see receipts or some proof of ownership. Maybe we can at least send a message that if they're stolen they're no good. Over time the scumbag might decide they're not worth the trouble. I'm probably waaaay to optomistic though.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:49 AM

I just emailed EBay. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:44 AM

For all we know the data dots could have been applied to these lights. Anyone who emails the seller should mention this that the lights can be traced now. Just a thought.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:53 PM
DAP

Originally Posted by 3Pedals_6Speeds

If you go here you can report him to ebay and select Report a listing policy violation, then stolen property and finally you suspect stolen property is for sale on e-bay.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/index.html
Old 04-24-2004, 06:19 PM

Well,
A smart thing to do would be to screw the bolt on accessories which just make them mess up your car more when they steal the lights and put VIN stamps on them so you can match stolen ones with a car. Or see if there is a carfax to guarantee that the car was in an accident and they were removed and not stolen.
Also nissan just needs to build a better bracket. BMW, Audi, Lincoln, cadillac, Infinity, acura, lexus, benz, porsche, and more all have HID and you don't see them stolen as much as maximas. Its because they take too long to remove. DOesn't mean that they aren't stolen, just means that they aren't as big a target because people know it is more difficult to open the hood and move the fender. Unlike on the max where it takes 2 seconds.

Seth
Old 04-24-2004, 06:25 PM

I bought my hids of e-bay But they weren't stolen.