5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02/03 Maxima vs. Audi A6 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 12:48 PM

02/03 Maxima vs. Audi A6 2.7T

Auto for auto or 6 speed for 6 speed anybody run with Audi A6 2.7T?

What was the outcome?

These cars seem to have about the exact same power and acceleration times.
The Audi has the advantage with it's AWD, but the Maxima has the advantage in much lighter weight.

The Audi A6 2.7T was one of the cars I considered buying (well leasing) back in 2002, but the payments were about $50 a month more, and Audi would only give me 10K miles a year at that price, compared to my 2002 Maxima as getting 15K.

I was up along side one the other day on the freeway and just wondered from speed (say 60 mph to 100 mph) who would pull on the other? I'm guessing the Maxima would have the advantage there.

And in a 1/4 mile race where the Audi would obviously have the advantage out of the blocks, but could it hold through the entire 1/4?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2004, 01:35 PM
drag racing is for wussies

they have extrememlly slow throttle response. My friends sister just bought a chipped lowered on 18s 2.7L 6spd A6. I drove it around a few times to see how it drives ( I'm audi master certified technician- owned 2 Audis in the past ). And I know for a fact that I wouldn't wanna drive this car on daily basis as it has bout as much power till the turbos kick in as my cousins 1.0L 3 cylinder 5spd Metro ! The throttle response is as sharp as on a diesel powered school bus. I owned a S4 with APR chip, APR turbo back with test pipes exhaust, and while it cost me around 2K bux for all that it ran a 13.9 and it only lasted 15K miles before one turbo gave out and kissed the piston. I know how to treat turbo cars... owned quite a few of em and still do.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What BlackBIRDVQ said. My cousin's friend has a chipped 2.7T and I drove it to see how it ran and it was not too quick. They are too heavy. But they are real nice!
Old 04-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Audi 2.7 has ridiculous turbo lag. It's so bad.

You also would be bringing it to the dealer at least once a month, they have horrible reliability. I was considering an A4 before I bought my Max and was talked out of it because of thier crappy reliability.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:01 PM

Not so horrible...

Originally Posted by SE01
The Audi 2.7 has ridiculous turbo lag. It's so bad.

You also would be bringing it to the dealer at least once a month, they have horrible reliability. I was considering an A4 before I bought my Max and was talked out of it because of thier crappy reliability.

Not to argue with anyone here but this 2.7T engine in the A6 is the same twin-turbo engine that you will find in Any 2003 or older Audi S4.
The max torque(~260) on these twin turbo german engines comes at 1850 rpm only! so Turbo lag or not...this is serious power at low rpm especially if driven right.
Agreed, the A6 is heavier than S4 but it is not sooo bad. Not at all. I've driven '01 S4 for 3 months and '02 A6 2.7T for few days. S4 is FAST even bone stock. Run against one (stock on stock) and you'll see his tails.
A6 is slower but not by a lot. It's just heavy. The 2.7T engine has a lot of potential for upgrades and all just for few $$. This is a HUGE plus!
Is my '03 Maxima faster than the auto A6 2.7T ...yes, it feels like it and it is but it would be close at high speeds. If wet and sliperry - i have no chance with my Maxima off the line. (no quattro) Again, it all depends on who is driving the Audi.

As for reliability ... well, that's why i drive a Maxima and not Audi A4/older S4.
Audis are gorgeous cars. Great interiors, excelent quattro system, smooth engines and surefooted ride at ANY speed. But as the miles get more and more on the odometer, problems begin to build up quickly. I had 2 Audis in my past and even though i was maintaining them myself - they are $$$ cars to have. You pay big $$ for the nice ride and gorgeous materials. I think this is a common "problem" for any high end German sedan....everything comes with a price.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:14 PM

is the 4.2 A6 faster than the 2.7T stock for stock? or stock 4.2 vs. a modded 2.7T?
Old 04-25-2004, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_VQ
is the 4.2 A6 faster than the 2.7T stock for stock? or stock 4.2 vs. a modded 2.7T?
Stock for stock ... the 2.7T and 4.2 A6 are identical "on paper". However, after i drove a larger A8 with 4.2 V8, i would say the 4.2 is a very very capable engine. Highly efficient V8 with a LOT ot power at any rpm range. It feels faster, yet it is soo smooth you don't feel the speed. It just doesn't get tired. I would pick the 4.2L V8 without a doubt.

If you want to mod the 2.7T on A6 ... it would be faster than the stock V8 if the turbo is modded correctly. Audi's 2.7 twin turbo engines are known to produce 350hp+ easily with the right mods.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:28 AM
drag racing is for wussies

I used to work for a shop on the side modifying Audis- since I had the skills needed to know how to work on em. I drove all kinds of S4s and one time on the highway a Stock looking Sentra SE like a 00-01 5spd with a 145HP SR20DE in it was chasing me down. I was driving a totally stock 01 6spd silver S4 home, and I tell ya it was tough to leave that Sentra behind. I was kinda ****ed cause I wanted to show off but instead fought hard to win. On a Audi by 60K miles U going to need, timing belt, water pump ( if it don't leak before 60K miles ) whole lower suspension will creak on the front. Frequent visit to the local dealer with check engine lights. I doubt the computer on the cluster will still even be visible, if U have a Audi TT U will probably need a turbo and a clutch miniumum to make it to 60K miles, and about 5 instrument cluster repleacements. Awesome cars aint they ? I used to work for Audi, I have papers that I'm certified by the factory, yet I wouldn't own one anymore.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:46 AM

they are heavy and slow
Old 04-26-2004, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I drove all kinds of S4s and one time on the highway a Stock looking Sentra SE like a 00-01 5spd with a 145HP SR20DE in it was chasing me down. I was driving a totally stock 01 6spd silver S4 home, and I tell ya it was tough to leave that Sentra behind. I was kinda ****ed cause I wanted to show off
Now, imagine that was an SR20DET motor in that 2.0SE.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nyc2kMax
they are heavy and slow
What are you talking about? They may be heavy, but they are pretty damn quick. I was looking at one a few years ago and the turbo lag isnt really that bad, you guys are probably just missing the "off the line" toruqe of the vq, but when the turbos spool up it is amazing. Gun it from a rolling start, say a highway on-ramp, and the rush of acceleration is increadible!

Only drawbacks -Big drawbacks- are cost of maintenance and reliability. If these wernt issues -Obviously they are- I would take the 2.7T Audi over a Max, or even my I30, any day.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by dansmax2003
The max torque(~260) on these twin turbo german engines comes at 1850 rpm only! so Turbo lag or not...this is serious power at low rpm especially if driven right.

my VR4 makes 307 lb-ft torque at 1850 RPM. trust me. you dont feel that from an off idle punch. when the car was on stock turbos it was a dog to about 25-2700 RPM. granted now its a dog to 3k rpm...but when 3k comes along it will lay down 4 wide strips of rubber.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:46 PM
retired moderator

IBTL. Thanks. Audis are pretty. They come in nice colors. I like their logo it looks like the olympic rings. Audi is german. Audi spelled backwards is Idua. My parents had a brown 1983 Audi. Ran to 290,000 miles and they towed a boat with it. It was not fast. This post is ridiculous. This thread is ridiculous. Where is the moderator?

Aren't there at least 2 other threads about racing Audi 2.7T?

WHAT IS UP with these questions about "which is faster, etc etc etc."

There are 2 easy ways to answer them, that do not waste space here trying to get everyone's individual "opinion" on how fast an Audi is, especially since 95% of those talking in these threads have never driven a 2.7T, only a few have....:

1. Read a freaking road test or pull up the 0-60 and 1/4 times. There are a million internet sources of these specs and reviews. Stock for stock, i think it would be pretty clear from the numbers.

-or-

2. Fukin race one. Then you'll find out.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:49 PM
retired moderator

oh, or let met add a third way:
Go to your local audi dealer. Act like you want to buy one. Test drive it. Make your own opinion.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:11 PM

Or you could just come in here and b!tch about a discussion that others are having.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Z

Originally Posted by irish44j
IBTL. Thanks. Audis are pretty. They come in nice colors. I like their logo it looks like the olympic rings. Audi is german. Audi spelled backwards is Idua. My parents had a brown 1983 Audi. Ran to 290,000 miles and they towed a boat with it. It was not fast. This post is ridiculous. This thread is ridiculous. Where is the moderator?

There are 2 easy ways to answer them, that do not waste space here trying to get everyone's individual "opinion" on how fast an Audi is, especially since 95% of those talking in these threads have never driven a 2.7T, only a few have....:

1. Read a freaking road test or pull up the 0-60 and 1/4 times. There are a million internet sources of these specs and reviews. Stock for stock, i think it would be pretty clear from the numbers.

-or-

Old 04-26-2004, 08:25 PM
VW = 30 MPG

DAMN!!! Don't hate I was enjoying reading how my Max is better that an Audi and did not know half the stuff I know now thanks to this thread... This is a good thread.

A$$

Damn I normaly agree with your points BUT not this 1

-or-

Old 04-26-2004, 08:26 PM
VW = 30 MPG

DAMN!!! Don't hate I was enjoying reading how my Max is better that an Audi and did not know half the stuff I know now thanks to this thread... This is a good thread.

A$$

Damn I normaly agree with your points BUT not this 1

-or-