5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2/2k3 remote starter on M/T - wiring help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2k2/2k3 remote starter on M/T - wiring help!

Hey guys,

Quick question, i have the Compustar installed on my 2k3, on a 6 speed manual. I don't have serach access.

Can anybody confirm which wire it is on the ECU that provides ground when in neutral and + when in gear? It was mentioned several times on the org (Studman??)

I have the ESM, and i want to confirm,

Is it terminal 44 wire colour G/W <=== Green/white?

I don't wanna fry anythng.

For those who have done this, did you use a relay?

Thanks

ED
Old 05-03-2004, 05:42 PM

I thought compustars didn't use neutral safety switch...
My wiring diagram for the AS controller doesn't even show an input where you would hook neutral safety switch up. Instead it uses the "reservation'" where you hook up the e-brake switch and set the e-brake before leaving the car and that keeps it running until you arm it. after that it knows that it is safe to re-start.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
Hey guys,

Quick question, i have the Compustar installed on my 2k3, on a 6 speed manual. I don't have serach access.

Can anybody confirm which wire it is on the ECU that provides ground when in neutral and + when in gear? It was mentioned several times on the org (Studman??)

I have the ESM, and i want to confirm,

Is it terminal 44 wire colour G/W <=== Green/white?

I don't wanna fry anythng.

For those who have done this, did you use a relay?

Thanks

ED
On the 2k2 it is the Green/White wire on pin 44.
I had to use 2 relays.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:35 PM

Hey thanks..

Did you use the HOOD PIN SWITCH to disable the remote starter...

Where did you attach the relays to?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
Hey thanks..

Did you use the HOOD PIN SWITCH to disable the remote starter...

Where did you attach the relays to?
No, just to the clutch wire. It basically acts as if the clutch is not pressed if the gear is not in neutral.
I can send you the diagram I made if you want. Let me know...
Old 05-03-2004, 07:00 PM

I used pin #44 g/w wire.

Max6spd - Please send me your clutch diagram igor911@comcast.net

thanks
Old 05-03-2004, 07:10 PM

Please send to me too!

edward.byon@ca.pwc.com

thanks
Old 05-03-2004, 07:28 PM

Depending on the alarm module, you should connect the wires as follows:

Brake pedal wire. There are 2 brake pedal wire harnesses. One shows ground when the pedal is pressed and the other shows +12v. Using a multimeter, test the 2 brake pedal wires to find out which one is the correct wire for your alarm. Be sure to tap the wire on the side that isn't constantly connected to ground or +12v.

For the M/T bypass, use pin 44 of the ECM. A diagram of the ECU connector is on my web-site in the ECU Information section.

For the clutch bypass, hook up the "-200mA output" wire to a relay. Have that relay send power to the clutch wire that changes when the clutch is pressed. I forget which one of the clutch wires it is, so test it as well.

For those who care, I'm planning to install a new alarm into a 2002-2003 Maxima in about 2 weeks. I plan on doing a full write-up including pictures and diagrams, which will take about 1/2 week to actually post online after the install is done. I'll be sure to post a thread up when it's available for viewing.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I installed mine myself. I also know that the sheets from DEI aren't 100% correct. I have my notes here from my previous install, and am planning to verify/update them during the write-up install.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:59 PM

Studman,

I understand the M/T bypass, and i will check your website. My only question is, with my COMPUSTAR, the only way to disable the remote starter is via the HOOD PIN SWITCH.. IF this receives a negative, it prevents remote start but also sets off the alarm, the momemnt it gets negative.

One word of advice, with the 2k2/2k3 if you have auto headlights, and you use MANUAL reservation mode, there may be a chance that your when you shut your door, your headlights will never turn off. because the ECU requires a pinswitch signal, and its not receiving the first on/off becuase it goes to the alarm (thats what happened to mine), so i had to get a relay installed that blips the pinswitch a second time to shut off the lamps.

ED
Old 05-04-2004, 05:21 AM

I understand the M/T bypass, and i will check your website. My only question is, with my COMPUSTAR, the only way to disable the remote starter is via the HOOD PIN SWITCH.. IF this receives a negative, it prevents remote start but also sets off the alarm, the momemnt it gets negative.
T-Tap a wire to the ECU pin #44 and another to the hood wire at the SECU. In the wires that you added, insert a diode to isolate the wires the signals from each other. Then connect both the ECU pin #44 wire and the hood wire together after the diode. Connect that to the hood pin wire of the alarm.

This would allow the remote start to be disabled when the car is in gear. It will also tell the alarm that the hood is open, even when it's not, because you are using the same wire as the hood. So I guess that you could say that if someone got in the car without setting off the alarm (?) and tried to put it in gear with the alarm still armed, the alarm would go off (the same way as if the hood was opened).

Be sure to insert the diodes in the correct position. http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp has a diagram that you can use. You should be fine with a 1 amp 50v diode - 1N4001 I believe is the diode number.

Maybe this would help.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:22 PM

Studman..

I was going to do this, but here is the confusion.

on ECU PIN #44, if the ignition is not on, then does this pin still see negative for neutral, and positive for other gears?

My curiousity is this. Lets say you have the car in gear. Then you apply remote start. So the alarm suplies ignition which at this point, the ECU now receives a positive signal saying that the tranny is in gear. Is this enough time for the remote starter NOT to apply the start or in other words, be disabled?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:24 PM

Max6spd,

thanks for the email. Unfortnately this would not work in my application. Your diagram basically disables the clutch if the car is in gear. Therefore it uses the CARS safety swtich. In my case, my alarm would not know that it can't start because of the clutch rigged up, and will attempt to apply juice to the starter wire, although the car will not start because of the relay to the clutch. At this point, it will continuously apply this start 3 times, and then fail.

If you just hook it to the hood pin switch, upon application of the remote start, not only will the car not start, but the alarm will go offf as the car thinks taht the hood opened!! LOL
Old 05-04-2004, 02:26 PM

How about glow plug inputs? Compustar is not goign to start if it sees ground on negative or + on positive (it is goign to delay starting untill the voltage disappears).
Old 05-04-2004, 03:08 PM

My curiousity is this. Lets say you have the car in gear. Then you apply remote start. So the alarm suplies ignition which at this point, the ECU now receives a positive signal saying that the tranny is in gear. Is this enough time for the remote starter NOT to apply the start or in other words, be disabled?
Yes, it is enough time. The accessory and ignition relays get powered 3-4 seconds before the starter relay does. At any point in time that the remote start sees the circuit broken, it will shut down.

If you just hook it to the hood pin switch, upon application of the remote start, not only will the car not start, but the alarm will go offf as the car thinks taht the hood opened!! LOL
That is a true statement. You could use the "wait to start" Glow-plug as suggested as well, but that will keep the Ignition and Accessory wires powered for the entire run duration, which will drain the battery.

I'll keep thinking about this one a little more.

BTW... What's the model number of your Compustar? This way I can see what options are available for use. A link to an online install guide would be nice.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:38 PM

FM2AS or something or other.

Found on : www.compustar.org

The thing is, the only way to disable the remote starter on my alarm is just the hood pin switch.