5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3 month review on my new '02 SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 07:19 AM

3 month review on my new '02 SE

OK, just wanted to see what others also think. I've been into cars since I was 15. Mostly hot rods and the like. Mustangs, Camaros, etc. I have a young son and needed to ditch the two door daily driver I had and have liked the style of the 5th gens since they came out. And with the VQ35, it was a no-brainer. I needed the power as much as the four doors.

So far the engine has completely lived up to the expectations. GREAT power! GREAT acceleration! Execept of course for the horrendous torque steer problem! Christ, the first time I laid into it from a stop, I nearly drove off the road. The car handles pretty good, but the ride is terrible. I realize having both may be a bit much to ask, but still. Every manhole cover I hit is an adventure. The driver's cockpit(this is my worst complaint about the car) is SO uncomfortable! I am very average in size. 5'10" 180lbs. When I have the seat at a comfortable distance from the pedals, I have to reach for the wheel. When I move the seat up a little my right leg is uncomfortable. Tried many different seat positions. Cannot rest arm on door and hold wheel at same time. E-brake poorly located. Factory stereo sucks *** and no power button on steering wheel. The automatic tranny SUCKS. I should have waited for a 6 speed. The shifter sucks worse then the tranny does. I have an appointment tommorrow to have the crank/cam sensor recall work done. Gonna have them install the HID anti-theft kit and I also want them to fix the cold start-up rattle issue from one of the TSB's. I guess its the valve timing sprockets? Anyway, my guess is that considering it doesn't happen 100% of the time, that won't get fixed and I'll have to worry about the engine longevity the whole time I own the car. The tires suck in the wet. The majestic blue paint color is nice and not the most common color seen on the MANY max's on the roads.

Now look, these are just my opinions so don't go flaming me. I realize this is a fairly average priced car, so I don't expect miracles. I put a lot of miles on my car every year and most of all would just have liked the cockpit to be a little more comfortable. Not whining, just wondering if anyone else feels the same about any of this?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:32 AM

I have driven SE's before (I bought the GLE), ya the ride is stiff, its do to the 50 series tires and the suspension. If you want to spend the money you can soften the ride up. Start with some Illuminas and go from there.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:41 AM

As far as worrying about engine longevity, trust in the VQ it will not let you down. I started to laugh when you made this statement.
I agree with your assessment of the torque steer problem (FWD ) and factory stereo, more reasons to upgrade to a nice MP3 headunit.

Also first modification should be to pickup a front strut bar (under $50), should relieve some of the jolts you feel when driving over those manholes.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:49 AM

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about the engine longevity. Nissan has a pretty good track record with the V6's they make. I just hope that rattle happens tomorrow AM when the tech starts it, so they'll fix it. My guess is they'll say they didn't hear anything. I'll check into that strut bar, thanks.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by CT MAXOUT
OK, just wanted to see what others also think. I've been into cars since I was 15. Mostly hot rods and the like. Mustangs, Camaros, etc. I have a young son and needed to ditch the two door daily driver I had and have liked the style of the 5th gens since they came out. And with the VQ35, it was a no-brainer. I needed the power as much as the four doors.

So far the engine has completely lived up to the expectations. GREAT power! GREAT acceleration! Execept of course for the horrendous torque steer problem! Christ, the first time I laid into it from a stop, I nearly drove off the road. The car handles pretty good, but the ride is terrible. I realize having both may be a bit much to ask, but still. Every manhole cover I hit is an adventure. The driver's cockpit(this is my worst complaint about the car) is SO uncomfortable! I am very average in size. 5'10" 180lbs. When I have the seat at a comfortable distance from the pedals, I have to reach for the wheel. When I move the seat up a little my right leg is uncomfortable. Tried many different seat positions. Cannot rest arm on door and hold wheel at same time. E-brake poorly located. Factory stereo sucks *** and no power button on steering wheel. The automatic tranny SUCKS. I should have waited for a 6 speed. The shifter sucks worse then the tranny does. I have an appointment tommorrow to have the crank/cam sensor recall work done. Gonna have them install the HID anti-theft kit and I also want them to fix the cold start-up rattle issue from one of the TSB's. I guess its the valve timing sprockets? Anyway, my guess is that considering it doesn't happen 100% of the time, that won't get fixed and I'll have to worry about the engine longevity the whole time I own the car. The tires suck in the wet. The majestic blue paint color is nice and not the most common color seen on the MANY max's on the roads.

Now look, these are just my opinions so don't go flaming me. I realize this is a fairly average priced car, so I don't expect miracles. I put a lot of miles on my car every year and most of all would just have liked the cockpit to be a little more comfortable. Not whining, just wondering if anyone else feels the same about any of this?
Sounds like you bought the wrong car.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by 6spmax
Sounds like you bought the wrong car.
Could be.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:48 PM

You and I are about the same size(5'11,175 here) and I dont find the drivers cockpit area to be a problem at all. Torque steer you could have read on this before you purchased it its a known prob on the 02-04 Maximas. Most people love the gated shifter, ride is good on the highway to me. Good luck with it
Old 05-13-2004, 01:52 PM

No $25,000 car is going to be perfect for everyone, and most of these complaints are probably shared by many other Maxima owners. The complaints about comfort don't make much sense; however, because one can easily determine if a vehicle is not comfortable for him with a test drive. There is no reason why one needs to purchase a vehicle that is uncomfortable for him.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Qmax03

yea i find the Se ride a bit stiff you should go get the GLE suspension itll soften up the ride

Old 05-13-2004, 02:04 PM

I never really thought the torque steer was that bad. I have never had the "oh crap I am going off the road" torque steer. Its never seemed like more than a little tug to me which is not a problem if you have any arm strength at all. I thought the car was very comfortable (5'10" 175lbs), but I like sitting close to the wheel. I do have some trouble sometimes with my knee hitting the steering wheel getting off the clutch though. You want to feel an uncomfortable car? Sit in a newer grand am. I like the stiff(ish) suspension but it really isnt stiff enough for me. If my kidneys arent feeling a little sore after a long ride its not stiff enough. My main complaint about the car is the ****ty paint. Even thinking about it irritates me. I have miniscule rust spots from chips in the paint and the car isnt even 2 years old.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:51 PM

I agree with bgates1654 on everything. Only difference is I had a clearcoat added to the car to take care the paint.

Mike

Originally Posted by bgates1654
I never really thought the torque steer was that bad. I have never had the "oh crap I am going off the road" torque steer. Its never seemed like more than a little tug to me which is not a problem if you have any arm strength at all. I thought the car was very comfortable (5'10" 175lbs), but I like sitting close to the wheel. I do have some trouble sometimes with my knee hitting the steering wheel getting off the clutch though. You want to feel an uncomfortable car? Sit in a newer grand am. I like the stiff(ish) suspension but it really isnt stiff enough for me. If my kidneys arent feeling a little sore after a long ride its not stiff enough. My main complaint about the car is the ****ty paint. Even thinking about it irritates me. I have miniscule rust spots from chips in the paint and the car isnt even 2 years old.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:14 PM

Hmm thats a good idea. I should get it detailed then put a nice tough clear coat on it. I wish the pain was a nice dark green color though... oh well I would not be able to justify the cost of a good paint job to myself.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:41 PM
retired moderator

well I have a 2k so not as much torque steer (though I noticed it when I bought it) but I don't notice it at all anymore. As to terrible ride...well, I have an SE as well, and in the DC area with our bad roads I occasionally get a little p1ssed about the ride...but I've owned cars with worse rides...if ride is a problem, you should consider getting some 16" rims with higher-profile rubber, and get some Illumina struts and put them on the softer settings, that should do the trick....

Not sure what you mean about a power button on the steering wheel (you mean for adjustment?) but I'm very happy with the many-way-adjustable power seats, you can get them in pretty much any position you need, IMO. I actually love the seating of the car...have put in LONG road trips and feel great after I'm done (unlike my Acura and Honda, where the seats got real uncomfortable)....I'm 6', 170 or so.

As to the tranny - well, that's why I got a stick, but they're harder to come by. There are a few things you can do to help out your auto tranny, if you look around the org some.

Tires -
well, I think most or all of us here will agree that the Potenzas blow big time, which is why most of us have replaced them with various other rubber.

just my 2cents, obviously everyone is not going toagree with me or you on all these points. Good luck!@
Old 05-13-2004, 08:34 PM

CT MAXOUT,
Sounds like you and I are 2 of a kind!! I too have an 02 Majestic Blue, but with the 6sp. It is pretty well loaded except for navi and no LSD (big mistake!!!, but will be rectifing that SOON!) My first car was a 69 firebird, and I've had my share of other Hot Rods including my 85 GT with 351w and 5sp in the garage. I have a nerwborn daughter and knew I needed a four door "family car". I previously traded in my 90 5.0 mustang for an 01 Acura CL-S, but that is a 2 door and my wife has a 94 Integra 2 dr, and we realized we need something bigger. I looked for about 4-5 months before I found a 6sp with the meridian package. I wanted the LSD but couldn't find one. At 6'1" 250lbs I find the room in the Max quite good, especially the head room. In both our other Acura's I'm tilting or tipping my head and reclining my seat just to get some head room. Not in the Max however! I agree the Bose stereo is the biggest piece of crap around, but since I have a similar one in the CL-S I knew what I was in store for. (no highs, no lows, most be BOSE!) Since I can't leave anything stock for long, I have already started moding with a Cattman titanium strut bar and rear sway bar. I got them from one of the group deals here. They did a good job of tightening the front end and keeping the rear planted around the twisties. I personally feel the stock springs are too soft and the struts are junk. I plan on purchasing a set of JIC coilovers at some point. My mustang had 750lb spring in the front and 300 lb in the rear, so these are "soft" in comparison. I do love the motor though!! Torquey and still able to rev. So much nicer than the 4 banger Integra I had been relegated to! Maybe next year I'll go for the Jim Wolf cams and Cattman exhaust system.
Sorry for getting so long winded. Enjoy your ride and let me know if I can be of any assistance. Since you live in Southington (my old stomping grounds) maybe I'll see you at the next gathering!

Tommy Boy
Old 05-17-2004, 03:54 AM

Update...

Thanks for the replies.

Well, got the service done. Sensors replaced no problem. HID theft kit got screwed on...pretty much just got a couple stickers thrown on my car(subject for another thread). Of Course the technician didn't hear the cold start-up rattle! Who woulda thunk it!? Well, hopefully the VTC sprockets don't come back to haunt me down the road.

Took the car for a couple rides this weekend and remembered why I bought the car. The engine. What a great motor! Just gobs of power and torque. I wanted a family car with plenty of power. I'll deal with the other short-comings. Again, don't want everyone to think I'm bashing Maximas. Thats not the case. I love the car. Definitely gonna keep it.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:56 AM

I have the stock non-bose stereo and it sucked but I got some new speakers for my birthday and its alot better. I didn't even put an amp in cause I don't have the money right now. So my advice with the stereo just get some decent aftermarket speakers and you are good to go. The suspension I feel also isn't stiff enough if you wanted a comfy ride you should have gotten the softer suspension, it is a sport suspension. Torque steer I don't have problems with really and I have a 6sp, I just have problems with traction
Old 05-17-2004, 08:46 AM

hanks for the tip about the speakers man. May just have to do that. Gets crazy distortion at anything more than moderate volumes.