5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about HID Theft Detterent Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:42 AM

Question about HID Theft Detterent Kit

I brought my '02 down on Friday to have some service done. I asked them to install the HID theft kit. They didn't seem to have a problem with that. So I picked up the car Friday night after service closed. Now I figured the kit was installed since there were now those datadot stickers on the headlights and windows. Yesterday, I popped the hood to take a look at the work. Now, from reading the TSB about the kit I was expecting to see the tamper-resistant torx bolts holding the headlight housing in. Well, they're not there. And neither is the hood lock or cable protector. Looking at the receipt from the dealer it says "Install datadots"....datadot kit....bracket kit....1.5 labor hours. Is this a new version of the kit or did they just attempt to dupe me. I specifically requested the "HID theft detterent kit on the key drop envelope and to the service rep I spoke to when I made the appointment.

Am I missing something? You guys who have had the kit installed, can you tell me what they did or the parts that went in. Also, those who have purchased the kit, how much was it? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:14 AM

CT, I am sure they installed it. You won't be able to see it from opening the hood. The brackets are attached from below connected to the bumper mounts. As for the data dots, look at the lower portion of the driver's door to see if they sprayed it on.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the reply 810, but how do you explain the lack of the tamper-resistant torx bolts which can easily be seen when simply opening the hood. Thats why I'm wondering if there is a newer kit then the one I was familiar with.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by CT MAXOUT
Thanks for the reply 810, but how do you explain the lack of the tamper-resistant torx bolts which can easily be seen when simply opening the hood. Thats why I'm wondering if there is a newer kit then the one I was familiar with.

Don't waste yer energy over the torx bolts. The theives always break the tabs off anyway, throwing anything at the tab area would be a joke.

You need to make sure the data dots were sprayed onto the headlights, the rear bracket was installed (which you can't see w/o removing some things which I won't go into), and ballast relocated.

As for the torx bolt and cable kit, I think you have data dots confused with the other theft deterent kit which isn't worth smack.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by itdood
Don't waste yer energy over the torx bolts. The theives always break the tabs off anyway, throwing anything at the tab area would be a joke.

You need to make sure the data dots were sprayed onto the headlights, the rear bracket was installed (which you can't see w/o removing some things which I won't go into), and ballast relocated.

As for the torx bolt and cable kit, I think you have data dots confused with the other theft deterent kit which isn't worth smack.
OK, thanks itdood. Thats what I was trying to find out. So there are two different kits. I'll check it out again. Where does the ballast get moved to and what does it look like?

Also, what exactly am I looking for with the datadots spray?
Old 05-17-2004, 07:30 AM

Easiest way to check is to get under the car, remove the splash shields and see if your ballast is there, connected to a black bracket which is connected to a solid part of the car.

If it looks like this, then it's installed:
http://s93163678.onlinehome.us/Lights/l11.jpg
http://s93163678.onlinehome.us/Lights/l5.jpg

(note the silver screw, there are 3 of them, attaching the bracket to the bottom of headlight)
Old 05-17-2004, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by nissan5788
Easiest way to check is to get under the car, remove the splash shields and see if your ballast is there, connected to a black bracket which is connected to a solid part of the car.

If it looks like this, then it's installed:
http://s93163678.onlinehome.us/Lights/l11.jpg
http://s93163678.onlinehome.us/Lights/l5.jpg

(note the silver screw, there are 3 of them, attaching the bracket to the bottom of headlight)

Thanks man. Check your PM's.