5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone test BMW 325i or 325ix before Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 08:54 PM

Just wondering if anyone here tested out any BMW's before jumping into your Maxima? I've been at the BMW site, building a 325i. Sort of regret not having given the bimmers a look.

Anybody know if the owners have a site like ours and how to get to it??

Thanks.

srm
Old 03-25-2001, 09:00 PM

my bro has a 328i.. one thing for sure is, its faster. even tho it has a heavier curb weight, (dunt noe where the weight is coming from, possible the rigid body), its a 5 speed auto and its faster then the auto max. handling.. much tighter. its more stable around high speed turns.. probally credit to its sport suspension and ultra low profile tires, and 50 50 weight balance... Superb handling machine... but... luxury tax, options, not close to fully loaded, was 38000, then after luxury and wutever was around 41000. i wouldnt take a 325. for the engine, thats 2.5 liters pumpin 183hp, doesnt suit me. i would choose 328i over 330i because of the handling... the 330i they loosened the steering wheel for parkin lots.. so it feels like a cadillac (no offense to cadS)
james
"the ultimate driving machine"
Old 03-25-2001, 09:06 PM

325s

I would get a 325i with a few mods: Jim Conforti chip, Bavarian Autosport intake kit, and stainless steel exhaust. After all that, it should produce at least 205 hp.

For Bimmer sites, go to http://www.bmwlinks.com. Bimmer.org is a great forum.
Old 03-25-2001, 10:14 PM

When my lease on my '98 SE was coming to a close, I made an appointment to drive a 325i. When I got there, they only had a 325ix so we took that for a spin. Comparing it to my '98 and now my 01AE, the Beemer certainly is a tighter ride. I liked the "Steptronic" transmission as it had a nice response. Took it on the highway and it did well accelerating and then getting around slower traffic

But I gotta tell ya, the interior was kinda bland (for that kind of $$$), at least for what I was looking for. The front "cabin" felt a little cramped. The big thing for me was rear seat leg room for the occasional taxi duty as well as getting my son's car seat in and out (would have had to have been a contortionist with the lack of room back there). Also, the trunk was smaller than my Max and that's important when you need to take into consideration carting around a stroller and other miscellaneous baby stuff on a road trip (oh... my... God... I've turned into my father!!!) , not to mention going to the mall with my wife and the purchases she makes.

I also couldn't get used to the orange gauges. Yeah, it was a Beemer and I wanted to treat myself but couldn't justify the cost for the reduction in space. In order to get the room I was looking for and a more luxurious feel, I would have had to jump to a 5-Series (my next goal) and that was a little to rich for my cash-flow situation.

The 3-Series does look sweet, though. But I'm happy with my decision at this point (besides the missing parts).
Old 03-26-2001, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by srmtn
Just wondering if anyone here tested out any BMW's before jumping into your Maxima? I've been at the BMW site, building a 325i. Sort of regret not having given the bimmers a look.

Anybody know if the owners have a site like ours and how to get to it??

Thanks.

srm
I'm a bimmer lover. The max is what I could afford though. Besides the 325i isn't a fair comparison cuz it's a smaller car by far and even the 5 series which I love is still a bit smaller (especially in the rear). Yes it does handle better and the 540i (my 1st love) is obscene w/ its speed and 6spd stick, but u'd have to spend twice as much to get into one of those and @ $30 and under there's no sport sedan that can touch the Max. I love mine. You made a good choice, now go and enjoy!
Old 03-26-2001, 03:26 PM

Bimmer

I have own a few BMWs in the past, and I know own a Dinan 540i and 325i sport wagon, in addition to my Maxima. If I had a choice between a 5-series and a Maxima, it would be a 5-series, but it's double the price, and not double the quality. I guess you pay for what you get.

However, if you are interested in a 325i, I would highly reccomend it, especially the 5 speed, manual with sports package. It was rated number one by Car and Driver, and is really safe.

But, 325i vs. Maxima? Apples to Oranges!