5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Which do u like better? H&Rs or Eibach springs?
H&R
47.37%
Eibach
52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Which springs? H&R or eibachs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 03:18 PM

i dunno which springs to get? I am not changing my struts yet... what do you think is the better spring and why? the H&Rs offer a little lower drop but i heard that they feel like stock as opposed to the eibachs which are stiffer... are the H&Rs softer than stock? like stock? or stiffer than stock? i have the SE so it should be stiffer than the GXE/GLE... when they compare them to stock are they talking about SE or the GXE/GLE? please lemme know which u like better? and the H&Rs are a little bit cheaper as well. thanks a lot
-danny
Old 03-26-2001, 04:23 PM

Springs are supposed to be the same on all Maxes... the stiffer suspension on SE is from polyurethane bushings (at least that's what I've heard).

Anyway.. Eibachs are supposed to do wonders for your handling while H&R are more just for looks. I'd go eibach.
Old 03-26-2001, 06:33 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by punkdork
Springs are supposed to be the same on all Maxes... the stiffer suspension on SE is from polyurethane bushings (at least that's what I've heard).

Anyway.. Eibachs are supposed to do wonders for your handling while H&R are more just for looks. I'd go eibach.
Nah, I dont' think so..the struts on SE are stiffer than any other models..it definitely feels stiffer and only struts or spring would contribute that feeling..polyurethane stiffens up the suspension..not those rough ride you get on the SEs!!!

Tim

Old 03-26-2001, 07:20 PM

i've heard that the eibachs are the way to go all the way. the h&r's are cheaper and give a slightly lower drop but true performance is from the eibachs. don't know for certain since I don't have either, but I've been "shopping" for awhile now and that's the conclusion I've been led to.
Old 03-26-2001, 07:47 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I too have this dilema! H&R or Prokits?

I just wish Eibach would offer a Sportline Kit for the Max like they do for so many other cars.

Eibachs' website says you ONLY get a 1" drop Front/Rear. I thought the Max got a 1.2" drop in front and 1.7" drop in rear?
Old 03-26-2001, 08:08 PM

get eibachs...eibach is known as one of the best names in the springs business...basically h&r's will give you a good look (2 inch drop all around) but really don't add much if any performance...i have heard they perform very similar to stock and they are fairly soft springs...eibachs offer a very nice look and very good performance...they stiffen it up a ton so you have to go over speedbumps very slow (i have to go a lot slower because of the kit) but it is worth it because of the speed you are able to take turns at...it eliminates a lot of body roll...alex, i'll take you for a ride in my car friday...i probably won't have a fstb or rsb on yet but i plan on doing some exhaust work this week (y pipe and maybe a new muffler and piping)...eibachs also drop it a little more in the front than they do in the rear which is a good thing because stock, the car comes a little lower in the back....the eibach drop now makes the back and front even which gives it a much cleaner look...with the h&r's, it looks like you have a body in the trunk at all times
Old 03-26-2001, 10:05 PM
RBa

I have Eibachs and they sure can handle sharp turns. Don't forget to get struts and an rsb.
Old 03-26-2001, 10:10 PM

rba, whats a scrate?
Old 03-26-2001, 10:28 PM
RBa

Originally posted by MrBurner
rba, whats a scrate?
dam!!!! didn't notice it...
Old 03-26-2001, 10:54 PM

Point well taken between h&r's and eibachs

What about Sprints? Any reviews that can be helpful? They have a 2" drop which gets the edge on looks but how's the performance? reliability? It'll be great if somebody can compare them to h&r's and eibachs.
Old 03-27-2001, 04:00 AM

Spring Comparison

I would take a look at the testing that the TireRack has performed. They did the same tests on the Eibach Pro-kit and H&R Sport Springs. The TireRack compared the srings with a stock BMW 328i. Hope this helps!

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/t...bach_hr_rd.htm
Old 03-27-2001, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by MrBurner
get eibachs...eibach is known as one of the best names in the springs business...basically h&r's will give you a good look (2 inch drop all around) but really don't add much if any performance...i have heard they perform very similar to stock and they are fairly soft springs...eibachs offer a very nice look and very good performance...they stiffen it up a ton so you have to go over speedbumps very slow (i have to go a lot slower because of the kit) but it is worth it because of the speed you are able to take turns at...it eliminates a lot of body roll...alex, i'll take you for a ride in my car friday...i probably won't have a fstb or rsb on yet but i plan on doing some exhaust work this week (y pipe and maybe a new muffler and piping)...eibachs also drop it a little more in the front than they do in the rear which is a good thing because stock, the car comes a little lower in the back....the eibach drop now makes the back and front even which gives it a much cleaner look...with the h&r's, it looks like you have a body in the trunk at all times

I thought H&R 's only gave you a 1.75 drop all around

Hey Psing I already told you what to get
Old 03-27-2001, 05:25 AM

H&R's are 1.4/1.3 (f/r)
Old 03-27-2001, 07:51 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Go with Eibachs.
Old 03-27-2001, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Go with Eibachs.
i heard ride quality is bad on eibachs...true or not true? i though h&r was a better spring because the ride is not as harsh and bumpy but it is a good performance spring..correct me if im wrong

vman
Old 03-27-2001, 04:34 PM

vman...ride is harsher on eibachs but they handle much better than h&rs...h&rs are softer springs which makes them perform similar to stock...basically, the stiffer the spring, the better your car will handle...the better your car handles, the more bumps you feel in the road (this is not always true but is in most cases...including this one)
Old 03-27-2001, 04:59 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by vman

i heard ride quality is bad on eibachs...true or not true? i though h&r was a better spring because the ride is not as harsh and bumpy but it is a good performance spring..correct me if im wrong

vman
The Eibachs will be handle better because their spring rate is probably higher, but the downside to stiffer springs is a stiffer/bumpier ride.
Old 03-27-2001, 09:03 PM
Adam01GXE

I read the comparison at tirerack.com and it actually rates the eibachs better in ride comfort and noise comfort than the h&r's. The handling edge went to the h&r's in a real-world situation type test. The traction and track rating went to the h&r's while the response and handling went to the eibach's in a track type test. Overall the road ratings went to the eibach's by .04 and the track ratings were dead-even. I guess what I'm trying to say is, by these numbers the two sets of springs provide virtually the same performance. It will all boil down to whether you want a ride similar to stock or one that is firmer like a nascar. Also, what kind of drop you are looking for.

Old 03-27-2001, 10:21 PM

I have read the Tirerack article but it was for a BMW and I think each application has differences. It seems from prior posts that the consensus from Maxima owners is that the Eibachs are the stiffer spring. If you want performance, go with the Eibachs. If you are concerned with a stiff ride and want a ride close to stock, go with the H&Rs.

I have the Eibachs and I like the ride characteristics. The ride is stiffer than stock but not too stiff with the stock tires.
Old 03-28-2001, 01:22 AM

H&R have a higher coil rate (stiffer then stock), decently priced and don’t give you a harsh ride, unlike eibachs. Unlike most have said here, the H&Rs due handle equally well. The eibachs will be harsher ride on a max, and more so with stock shocks. One will not give you much greater performance then the other, especially with stock shocks. H&R claims their springs will work well with stock shocks on a SE. These are reasons I picked H&R. You can see the drop with 17" in my sig.

H&R are German made and used on many top German machines. They are common place with Mercedes Touring cars, and used by several tuners over seas if that doesn't say enough. (lived their for a while) In Germany, you can't mod so freely, and add any part. A part has to meet super strict standards, and be cetified by thier Gov, and these are.
Old 03-28-2001, 04:56 AM

I went with the H&R springs.

But, IMO there is not much of a difference between the Eibach and H&R springs. It is like comparing the Stillen and Cattman Y-pipe. Both give you a major improvement over stock and what one you like the best is mostly a personal judgment.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by DNA21
I went with the H&R springs.

But, IMO there is not much of a difference between the Eibach and H&R springs. It is like comparing the Stillen and Cattman Y-pipe. Both give you a major improvement over stock and what one you like the best is mostly a personal judgment.

well i wouldnt buy a stillen y-pipe, its Cattman all the way for me... Cattman uses a superior stainless steal and it doesnt have taht annoying sound like the stillen one has... i heard someone explain it as "bees in a can" i hate that sound... supposedly they fixed it but someone just posted about it again yesterday and said they got it...
Old 03-28-2001, 10:32 AM
Adam01GXE

Originally posted by psing23

Cattman uses a superior stainless steal
what? i work with steel everyday and i understand that there are variances from one mill to another, but they are so minor you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. for the purpose of exhaust, stainless steel is stainless steel. buy whatever you like, but whoever told you that is feeding you a line of crap.

Old 03-28-2001, 11:26 AM

H&R here.

I've got H&R and, I'm very happy with them. From a performance point of view they are great. Exit ramps are a joy. I live in NJ/NY the roads here are not very good. I could not stand a harsher ride. Even with my 15" wheels.

I would say that if you Autocross, go with the Eibachs since they've got a stiffer ride. If you want to maintain some level of comfort and improve handling, go with H&R.

GoodLuck with your decision.
Old 03-28-2001, 12:51 PM

Hrmm.. since we all agree the eibachs have a higher spring rate... can we start calling them "Stiffys"? Think of the possibilities... "Yeah I put four stiffies in my car last weekend"
Old 03-28-2001, 02:42 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by punkdork
Hrmm.. since we all agree the eibachs have a higher spring rate... can we start calling them "Stiffys"? Think of the possibilities... "Yeah I put four stiffies in my car last weekend"
. . . . . .
Old 03-28-2001, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
. . . . . .