5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MAF replacement = ECM reprogram? Yes REPROGRAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 04:17 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

MAF replacement = ECM reprogram? Yes REPROGRAM

OK,

My car is in for service (P0140) and several TSB have floated around for it. I was reading the step by step instructions when I came across a stipulation about ECM programs to put on the ECU.

It is para-phrased as:
Standard reprogramming procedure (if vehicle has a standard airflow meter, P/N 22680-AD200 or 22680-6N201- see Chart A-1 orn page 3), or

Special reprogramming procedure using ECM ID code (if vehicle has an updated airflow meter, P/N 22680-2Y001 or 22680-AM600- See Chart A-2 on page 3).
Full TSB located here, referenced section page 1 bottom 1/3 of page

Soooo, this brings up the question: Is there "different" code being used or are they having to drop the code onto the ECU in a different manner?

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Colonel
Is there "different" code being used or are they having to drop the code onto the ECU in a different manner?
Can you re-phrase that?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:19 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by nailz420
Can you re-phrase that?
Thats kinda the point...I am not sure myself. I want to know if they put the program (code) on the ECU differently OR is the actual code that is being put on different?

One is a process change, the other is a code change.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:25 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Probably a different "patch" depending on what MAF you currently have, ie old or new.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:26 AM

both. There are 2 ways to program the ecu. TSB says choose choose the appropriate way and reprogram.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:27 AM

follow up question, I have an updated ECU, but I checked with OBD2 scanner, my ECU calibration ID put it into the un-updated ECU chart in the TSB. Does that mean the ****ing stealership did not update my ECU?
Old 05-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Probably a different "patch" depending on what MAF you currently have, ie old or new.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Well, I kinda want to know. I have the old MAF in the car now but I have a NEW MAF on my garage shelf....If they are reprogramming the ECU to accept the new MAF...I want to put it on before they reprogram. Not like Ill be able to...but you get my drift.

But if these guys are good, I just might pay them to have my timing advanced.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:00 AM

Why wont you be able to?
Old 05-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Why wont you be able to?
I am not so sure, if the whole thing is covered under warranty, that I am going to be able to say "hey wait a sec...stop working on it..I have to come over and install a new MAF..." I might get one of these -->

RIght now I would settle for a complete repair (ECU reprogram and 2 new o2's) with out a seconds hesitation (under warranty of course).

But Mr. Murphy has a way of making me his...well...you know...
Old 05-26-2004, 10:48 AM

You can install it and drive with the un-updated ECU(apparently thats what is happening to me...). I heard that it makes MAF fail soon, which makes me think of at least one reason why they didnt update it.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:54 PM

You can install it and drive with the un-updated ECU(apparently thats what is happening to me...). I heard that it makes MAF fail soon, which makes me think of at least one reason why they didnt update it.

What are you saying. If you install the new (updated) MAF and don't update the ECU the new MAF will fail??
Old 05-26-2004, 05:25 PM

thats what i read somewhere on the .org
Old 05-27-2004, 05:19 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by sascuderi
What are you saying. If you install the new (updated) MAF and don't update the ECU the new MAF will fail??
This is INCORRECT. The new MAF's will work under the old code. BUT, it "MIGHT" not be taking full effect. Its really a mystery as nobody I know of has access to the fuel maps and such to reference either program.

As for proof that the new works with the old, phone Dave Burnett.

I am updating the ECU because I want the latest and greatest ECU code so I dont throw another o2 check light due to Nissans inability to test properly for long term effects.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Colonel
This is INCORRECT. The new MAF's will work under the old code. BUT, it "MIGHT" not be taking full effect. Its really a mystery as nobody I know of has access to the fuel maps and such to reference either program.

As for proof that the new works with the old, phone Dave Burnett.

I am updating the ECU because I want the latest and greatest ECU code so I dont throw another o2 check light due to Nissans inability to test properly for long term effects.

I know the new MAF will work without flashing the ECU since I am running the new MAF in my 2000 I30 now and did not have the ECU updated. (Installed the new MAF myself)

I would really like to know what is changed in the ECU program when they flash it when the new MAF is installed at the dealership. Does anyone on this board work for Nissan and can give us a hint???????
Old 05-27-2004, 07:01 PM
ABS

Originally Posted by sascuderi
I know the new MAF will work without flashing the ECU since I am running the new MAF in my 2000 I30 now and did not have the ECU updated. (Installed the new MAF myself)

I would really like to know what is changed in the ECU program when they flash it when the new MAF is installed at the dealership. Does anyone on this board work for Nissan and can give us a hint???????
\

I don't work for Nissan, but I can tell you I felt a definite difference from the original code on my '02 to the code I have now which was flashed to the ECM with the new MAF. To be honest, I think I've lost power since the new flash. It feels like the timing advance is not as aggressive as when the car was new. Also, the way the throttle comes on is different. Just a little movement of the pedal gives a lot of response at the engine and flooring it is not as much. In other words, the throttle used to be more linear but now it gives a big "bump" at the start and flattens out after . . . I'd be interested in driving a 6spd with the new MAF and the old code . . . it could be better.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ABS
\

I don't work for Nissan, but I can tell you I felt a definite difference from the original code on my '02 to the code I have now which was flashed to the ECM with the new MAF. To be honest, I think I've lost power since the new flash. It feels like the timing advance is not as aggressive as when the car was new. Also, the way the throttle comes on is different. Just a little movement of the pedal gives a lot of response at the engine and flooring it is not as much. In other words, the throttle used to be more linear but now it gives a big "bump" at the start and flattens out after . . . I'd be interested in driving a 6spd with the new MAF and the old code . . . it could be better.
I noticed some of that with the new MAF and the "old" code since my ECU wasn't flashed.The throttle is much more sensative, but no loss of power, just the opposite. However, around the same time the MAF was changed I also replace the coils, the AFT fluid, and installed the Berk intake. So whats done what is hard to say. All I know the car runs better now than when it was new! So, I'm reluctant to flash the ECU at this time.