5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stealing HID lights AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 08:40 PM

Stealing HID lights AGAIN

Hey people, just to let you know the theft of HID lights are up again, my best friend just got his stolen a 2nd time. Does anybody know how the DATA Dots are working, if they are deterring them from stealing the lights. Any advice would be helpful!!!!=)
Old 05-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

since january my neighbor got his stolen 2 times already. good thing i always garage my car. btw this is in Staten Island NYC
Old 05-30-2004, 09:26 PM
Z

HID theft never really slowed down.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
HID theft never really slowed down.
yeah it def did atleast around here.... i guess because people dont park their 5.5 gens anywheere anymore liek me

ive had mine stolen 4 times by the way
-J
Old 05-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Z

I still see HIDless Maxes all around the city and LI.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:16 AM

Is there any way to stop the HID theft?

I've been lucky so far but I'm moving to another neighborhood soon and I'm starting to worry.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:30 AM

I wanted to know what other measures you can take, and how bout projector lights, they steal those aftermarket lights too?
Old 06-04-2004, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by SKYRockerr
I wanted to know what other measures you can take, and how bout projector lights, they steal those aftermarket lights too?

If they shine blue, expect it.......... Thives are nuts over these damn bulbs!!!

I bet if i walked down the street with a flashlight that shined a blue beam , i bet i will be robbed and stripped of it!!!! F'in fools!!!
Old 06-04-2004, 04:53 AM

2k2whitemaxi,

I'm moving to a town not far from you soon.

Can I expect my HID's stolen?

How much has the replacements cost you in deductibles and increase insurance premiums?

Originally Posted by 2k2whitemaxi
yeah it def did atleast around here.... i guess because people dont park their 5.5 gens anywheere anymore liek me

ive had mine stolen 4 times by the way
-J
Old 06-04-2004, 04:59 AM

If you have a garage to park in, you should be fine. Just don't park your car where there's no light and you should be safe.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:14 AM

how about a driveway with light sensors?

Originally Posted by MacAlert
If you have a garage to park in, you should be fine. Just don't park your car where there's no light and you should be safe.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by mass_chaos
how about a driveway with light sensors?
Even with Data Dots, sensitive alarm AND locked garage, there's never any guarantee mass.

Hey 2k2white, by the 2nd time your HIDs got snatched you probably should have traded up at that point. 4 times makes you an enabler.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:31 AM

I know nothing is guaranteed, just trying to figure out what I have to do to secure my vehicle.

Do I need to expand my driveway into the backyard and keep it behind a gate, etc...

Originally Posted by F23A4
Even with Data Dots, sensitive alarm AND locked garage, there's never any guarantee mass.

Hey 2k2white, by the 2nd time your HIDs got snatched you probably should have traded up at that point. 4 times makes you an enabler.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:42 AM

Did you have the Data Dots/HID Brackets installed yet??
Old 06-04-2004, 05:46 AM

the dealer is going to do the theft deterrent thing next week.

I think that is the Data Dots.

What exactly are ths dots? a way of marking the lights?

Will it make my lights harder to steal ao just cause more damage to my car while they are ripping them out?

Originally Posted by F23A4
Did you have the Data Dots/HID Brackets installed yet??
Old 06-04-2004, 06:00 AM

what about projection lights and what exactly is data dots recall?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:49 AM

FYI... DATA DOT DOES NOT WORK.

My friend got his ligths stolen with the data dot BS installed...
Old 06-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Sanduguero

Originally Posted by nice95GLE
FYI... DATA DOT DOES NOT WORK.

My friend got his ligths stolen with the data dot BS installed...
they probably got the housing buy the ballast is hard to get...my 3 cents
Old 06-04-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Playero
they probably got the housing the ballast is hard to get...my 3 cents

I dont see how they can get the ballast now with the brackets. I got under my car to look at the brackets and it seems to secure the ballast pretty damn good. Even it they break the headlight away from the bracket, the ballast is still bolted to the frame.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 AM

if they want them, they will get them
Old 06-04-2004, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyC502
I dont see how they can get the ballast now with the brackets. I got under my car to look at the brackets and it seems to secure the ballast pretty damn good. Even it they break the headlight away from the bracket, the ballast is still bolted to the frame.
rather than just getting snatched in under a minute, it's more of a time consuming process with the brackets in place. Excess time is always the enemy of thieves.

Since getting mine installed, I've taken my car to work a little more often (Weehawken) and worry a little less.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:42 PM

Will it make my lights harder to steal ao just cause more damage to my car while they are ripping them out?
It'll just cause more damage to the car while they're ripping them out. No theif is going to notice the sticker that says "Protected by DataDots" and even if they do, they won't know wtf it is anyway . Like ppl said, they'll still be able to steal your lights w/enough effort but it's extremely hard/time consuming for them to take the ballasts also. It won't matter anyway b/c I think Nissan doesn't sell just the h/light assemblies w/o the ballasts so you'll still have to deal w/insurance hassles.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:48 PM

I have to say driving around brooklyn is a sad sight considering that i see more 2k2 and 2k3 maxima with 2k and 2k1 then ones with hids. People are so scared to get their lights stolen again or for the first time that they are not going the hid route anymore.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Sanduguero

Originally Posted by nissan5788
It'll just cause more damage to the car while they're ripping them out. No theif is going to notice the sticker that says "Protected by DataDots" and even if they do, they won't know wtf it is anyway . Like ppl said, they'll still be able to steal your lights w/enough effort but it's extremely hard/time consuming for them to take the ballasts also. It won't matter anyway b/c I think Nissan doesn't sell just the h/light assemblies w/o the ballasts so you'll still have to deal w/insurance hassles.

i disagree, Thieves are not dumb (some) they do their homework and I am pretty sure that they do what we do, Chat and post online, so they are educated about which cars are #1 and wich ones are not even worth it, just like the rumor started about our HIDs, I am pretty sure that the rumor about the recall for data dot is around...

And i also saw the brackets under my car and took them out for something i am doing , and let me tell you the thieve that takes his time doing the uninstallement is pretty dumb because is a ***** to take those bolts out.....

my 3 pennies,
Old 06-05-2004, 04:02 PM

The bracket and Datadots do help. Still, you need to park your car in a high traffic and well lit area. If you must leave it out on the street at night (because you don't have a garage), say a few prayers and be ready to rush out to the street (with a shotgun) when you hear your alarm.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by nissan5788
You can buy separate items for the HID headlights. It will be more expensive to buy it in pieces though.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=4&catalogid=2
Old 06-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Z

Originally Posted by kenny
The bracket and Datadots do help. Still, you need to park your car in a high traffic and well lit area. If you must leave it out on the street at night (because you don't have a garage), say a few prayers and be ready to rush out to the street (with a shotgun) when you hear your alarm.
Hahaha, that was so vivid.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:36 AM

You need to set up a landmines near your headlights
Old 06-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by goldmaxNYC
since january my neighbor got his stolen 2 times already. good thing i always garage my car. btw this is in Staten Island NYC
WOW, i didnt think theft was occuring that much in Staten island. Where in Si do you live in the north or south shore? I live north shore and there are lik 4 people around the block from me with 2k3's and they park them in the streets with no problems so far.

brandon
Old 06-06-2004, 03:24 PM

There is an article in this months CAR AND DRIVER about the thefts.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:38 PM

I was at the Dealership in Queens and apparantly the thieves are looking at the 2k2 rear lights and the front grille. Because the dude had his stolen before and had the 2k1 lights installed and the thieves stole the 2k1 lights.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Z

Originally Posted by lhercules
I was at the Dealership in Queens and apparantly the thieves are looking at the 2k2 rear lights and the front grille. Because the dude had his stolen before and had the 2k1 lights installed and the thieves stole the 2k1 lights.
I find that disturbingly funny. Thieves really ARE idiots.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:34 AM

BrandonSE,

I live on the North Shore. I think the North Shore is safe.

I'm moving to Jersey and I checked the crime stats and the area I'm moving to has 2X the car thefts of Staten Island.

So I'm thinking I will be at risk

The house I'm moving to has a driveway with lights hooked up to a sensor but no garage.

I'm going to get the Data Dots this week.

What else can I do?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Originally Posted by BrandonSE
WOW, i didnt think theft was occuring that much in Staten island. Where in Si do you live in the north or south shore? I live north shore and there are lik 4 people around the block from me with 2k3's and they park them in the streets with no problems so far.

brandon
Old 06-07-2004, 02:43 AM

BrandonSE,

I'm moving to Jersey and I checked the crime stats and the area I'm moving to has 2X the car thefts of Staten Island.

The house I'm moving to has a driveway with lights hooked up to a sensor but no garage.

What else can I do?

Roll the dice. You cannot walk with the driveway sensors when you go to the mall, the store , the movies, the beach, ...... Therefore it is the luck of the draw. I was going to get Data dots installed and the dealership told me that it does not prevent them attempting to take the lights. What they do now is just destroy the lights when they realize it is not coming out. You will still have to replace the lights anyway since they are destroyed
Old 06-07-2004, 02:48 AM

I'm not too worried about where the car will be parked when I'm not home.

I probably should be

I'm thinking if I put an alarm on the car with the Dots then someone who is trying to get the lights from my driveway is going to have to be ballsy to try to get the lights out with the alarm going and sensor light on with me looking out the window.

Roll the dice. You cannot walk with the driveway sensors when you go to the mall, the store , the movies, the beach, ...... Therefore it is the luck of the draw. I was going to get Data dots installed and the dealership told me that it does not prevent them attempting to take the lights. What they do now is just destroy the lights when they realize it is not coming out. You will still have to replace the lights anyway since they are destroyed
Old 06-07-2004, 07:44 AM

At least they wont get the lights. Who knows if enough maximas have the brackets and the thieves hit them, maybe they will realize that they are not so easy to get anymore.. wishful thinking on my part.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:38 AM
DAP

BrandonSE,

What else can I do?

If it doesn't have it get the halogen lights with the sensors. There more brighter that the standard bulbs since you can get high wattage. There also inexpensive.

If you want to be crazy you can run fishing line around the peremiter of your car or front of your car. Maybe hook the ends up the those things that when you pull the ends they make a loud popping noise. Maybe a fake security camera.