5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 2003 is Burning OIL!!!????

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 06:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My 2003 is Burning OIL!!!????

Hey guys,

I hope this is not normal for a VQ V6

Last time I took my car in for an oil change I noticed that the oil was low (half - between the two points). I informed the service people and they said that they will look into it... when I picked the max up they said that they didnt find any leaks or other indications (exhaust smoke) but will keep an eye on it. They noted (as they filled the oil themselves) the oil level before I left the service center... and when I got home i also checked the oil... it was at the full mark. now this was over a month ago...

Yesterday before washing my car I checked the oil again and i noticed that it was low again... except this time it was lower than the last time its only .25 way up the lower mark.

I dont think that i drive my max that hard... or any harder than my other cars in the past... I never notice any exhaust smoke and dont see any oil leaks...

Any of you guys experienced the same thing? if so what happened or how was it fixed (if it was fixed)?

I am a bit worried as the car only has 14K miles on it... the only other car that I own that burns oil is my old Integra with over 200K miles on it... and that car has been though hell... driven hard and flooded... gone a year without oilchanges etc etc...
Old 06-01-2004, 06:45 AM

Maybe you have a leak?
Check the oil filter and it's gasket.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by maximalex
Maybe you have a leak?
Check the oil filter and it's gasket.
Originally Posted by ghettomax
... they said that they didnt find any leaks... I never notice any exhaust smoke and dont see any oil leaks...
Old 06-01-2004, 11:50 AM

Very rare for the VQ to burn oil in any material quantity. For example, I burn less than 1/8 qt between oil changes on my 2k3. As mentioned, I'd look for a leak or bring it back to dealer for check-up. Not normal to lose 1/4 qt in a month's time.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by GhettoMAX
Hey guys,

I hope this is not normal for a VQ V6

Last time I took my car in for an oil change I noticed that the oil was low (half - between the two points). I informed the service people and they said that they will look into it... when I picked the max up they said that they didnt find any leaks or other indications (exhaust smoke) but will keep an eye on it. They noted (as they filled the oil themselves) the oil level before I left the service center... and when I got home i also checked the oil... it was at the full mark. now this was over a month ago...

Yesterday before washing my car I checked the oil again and i noticed that it was low again... except this time it was lower than the last time its only .25 way up the lower mark.

I dont think that i drive my max that hard... or any harder than my other cars in the past... I never notice any exhaust smoke and dont see any oil leaks...

Any of you guys experienced the same thing? if so what happened or how was it fixed (if it was fixed)?

I am a bit worried as the car only has 14K miles on it... the only other car that I own that burns oil is my old Integra with over 200K miles on it... and that car has been though hell... driven hard and flooded... gone a year without oilchanges etc etc...
Pull off the PCV hose and see if the valve and/or the hose is full of oil. Some amount is normal, but not an excessive amount. If it is, you may have high crankcase pressure, possibly caused by a broken ring or rings that didn't seat properly (you did follow the break-in procedures, right?). Also make sure the PCV valve is working correctly (you can blow thru it in one direction, but not the other). That much oil usage isn't normal -- insist that it be fixed under warranty.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:29 PM

thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by nick778
Very rare for the VQ to burn oil in any material quantity. For example, I burn less than 1/8 qt between oil changes on my 2k3. As mentioned, I'd look for a leak or bring it back to dealer for check-up. Not normal to lose 1/4 qt in a month's time.
I took the car in for them too check the level for themselves today, they have acknowledged and put 1/2 quart of oil in there to bring it up to level, and want me to go in every 4-500 miles and get it checked... they said if it continues or continues to get worse... they will take further action... and that the car was running fine otherwise... they hooked it up to a computer and mentioned that all sensors indicated normal operation, the car drove well, engine sounded normal and made no abnormal noises... and there was no signs of leaks or visible smoke in exhaust.

i am satisfied with it for now i guess... and lets see how it goes from here...
Old 06-01-2004, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DanL
Pull off the PCV hose and see if the valve and/or the hose is full of oil. Some amount is normal, but not an excessive amount. If it is, you may have high crankcase pressure, possibly caused by a broken ring or rings that didn't seat properly (you did follow the break-in procedures, right?). Also make sure the PCV valve is working correctly (you can blow thru it in one direction, but not the other). That much oil usage isn't normal -- insist that it be fixed under warranty.
dan thanks for the info... i will look at it...

can you give me some idea as to where to look for the PCV hose?? is it just obvious or do i need to take off the engine cover? i know that on my honda (no engine cover) its just right there in the open.

Originally Posted by DanL
insist that it be fixed under warranty.
you bet... i am not going to have it any other way...
Old 06-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

can you give me some idea as to where to look for the PCV hose?? is it just obvious or do i need to take off the engine cover? i know that on my honda (no engine cover) its just right there in the open.
Hopefully THIS LINK showing the PCV location on an '02 will help.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:12 PM

could be type of oil. i've used mobil 1 full syn (5w-30, the blue top, i think) ever since i bought my car, and the oil levels before and after changing were the same. my last 2 oil changes, i'm using castrol syntec (same grade/viscosity) b/c most automotive stores around me ran out of mobil 1. needless to say, when i changed the oil, i noticed there was a whole quart less drained. i'm not sure if this will make a difference, but it might be something to think about.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Maxima Pilot

I am a bit worried as the car only has 14K miles on it...
Hey, GhettoMAX...before u take it in to the dealer next time, check out the infamous case of one of the throttle butterflies losing one of its screws and the engine ingesting it. I forget which of the butterflies/control valve it is that has done this on ocassion but I'm sure someone here can dig the thread out for you.

If this is the case with your car, ithe solution is called 'a new engine' -and it's at their expense.

Also, at least one dealer has already been caught by one of the Org members trying to just put a different screw back into the buterfly and them claiming it got there by itself when the Org member confronted the techs with 'look what was missing fom my car before I brought it in here for service' pictures so.... by all means, check this yourself.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:05 PM

Could someone please post the thread with all of the info on missing butterfly screws? I must have missed this whole discussion when I was off the ORG for a few months...

Thanks!
JP
Old 06-01-2004, 08:42 PM
ABS

Originally Posted by raidwolf
could be type of oil. i've used mobil 1 full syn (5w-30, the blue top, i think) ever since i bought my car, and the oil levels before and after changing were the same. my last 2 oil changes, i'm using castrol syntec (same grade/viscosity) b/c most automotive stores around me ran out of mobil 1. needless to say, when i changed the oil, i noticed there was a whole quart less drained. i'm not sure if this will make a difference, but it might be something to think about.
I had very poor results with Castrol Syntec on my Honda. I do not recommend it at all. Mobil 1 is much better quality. It could be the oil itself. Try a higher quality oil next time and see if you are still burning it up.