5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 07:23 AM
spdracer666

I have tried searching for this info, but I cannot find it.
My question is this? Do/will ALL 2000 Maxima's exhibit the rotor problem? I have a 00 Maz XE 5spd (purchased in 10/99) that has only 4600 miles on it. So far there has been absolutely no problem with the rotors, but I am not sure if I should be worried. The TSB claims that they will turn the rotors down if the problem occurs (well, this is useless).
This is just a temporary fix and can be done for around $30 at any machine shop (it is sooo nice of Nissan to save me $30). It seems that the runout is a design flaw. If they replace the rotors, are the new ones any different?
Should I do anything since my car has no problems so far?

Old 03-28-2001, 07:40 AM

Should I do anything since my car has no problems so far?
Count your blessings and be happy. I don't think there is a design flaw with the rotors, I also don't have any problems after 10k. The warping could be due to overtorqued nuts or driver abuse, who knows.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:02 AM

Let me explain, the stock rotors are too thick, which means that the heat of the pads are being consumed & not released immediately which results in warped rotor. Now after resurface the rotors shed some thickness which will be better for dissipating the heat. Now about it costing just 30 bucks is pretty inaccurate. Let say that ft rotors are warped yeah it is just 30 bucks, but most likely pads need replacement since they may have worn unevenly or they can be sand down. Anyway it will run a basic ft brake job about 100 bucks, and if rear is needed 200 bucks. I rest my case.........
Old 03-28-2001, 08:53 AM
spdracer666

Ok, I have some more questions:

- The rotors are to thick?! I would fully expect that a thick rotor would be able to handle the heat MUCH better than a thin one (hence the reason that performance rotors are always thicker and/or larger). The thin one would be much more apt to warp than the thick one. This is the reason that most people just replace rotors rather than turn them down... that is the 'el cheapo' way of fixing it.

- If this were a design problem with the rotors, wouldn't Nissan be MUCH smarter to recall than to wait until people come in under the TSB? If they wait until people encounter the problem, then they will end up having to replace the pads, etc and not just turn down the rotors. If they recalled them before the problem is encountered, then they would only have to turn down the rotors (which is very inexpensive).

- My basic question is still out there. Do they sell new rotors that are the appropriate thickness? or are the current ones being sold by Nissan the same as the 'bad' ones on the car. If they are the same then Nissan must really not think this is a design problem, but rather an issue with only a few rotors (or drivers). If they are now selling different rotors, then I want to get a set before mine start exhibiting the problem. I really feel that the answer to this question is the most important sign (from Nissan) on what the problem really is...

Old 03-28-2001, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by spdracer666
Ok, I have some more questions:

- If this were a design problem with the rotors, wouldn't Nissan be MUCH smarter to recall than to wait until people come in under the TSB? If they wait until people encounter the problem, then they will end up having to replace the pads, etc and not just turn down the rotors. If they recalled them before the problem is encountered, then they would only have to turn down the rotors (which is very inexpensive).

Well how many recalls, can you think of for the Nissan Maxima? How many recalls can you think of for any car. The auto manufacturer tries everything they can to not have a recall. That's why they have TSB's! They are all afraid of that word "recall" and how it will be perceived by the public. The only recalls that I remember, come into place where there is a life threatening flaw. Nissan just hopes that you don't do a search and find that TSB so they don't have to pay for it. Then if you do find the TSB their butts are covered if it led to something major!

The auto manufacturer's are smarter than some give them credit for! (or at least shrewder-if that's even a word!)
Old 03-28-2001, 10:06 AM
spdracer666

I think that they are not doing a recall since they don't believe that there REALLY is a design problem with the rotors. The proof is in the fact that they are still selling the same ones today... (unless someone has proof otherwise).

I think that a TSB is for common problems that are encountered by individuals and common fixes for these problems. The TSB's are more for the technitions than for the public. When a person comes in with a problem, the technition will look for a TSB on it (to see if there is already a fix out there). A recall is for a serious flaw in all of the cars. If ALL 2000 & 2001 maxima rotors are really no good and Nissan has redesigned the part, then a recall should be done NOT a TSB.