5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What's wrong Rotors or Transmisson?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 04:02 PM

Every time I slow down the car to stop the steering wheel trembles. I took the car to Nissan and they told me that it could be the Rotors. And because I had 35,000 miles it couldn't be repaired under warranty. I told them to G.T.H. and left. A few days at 35,800 miles, while I was driving there was a little hill on the road, so I drove really slow up it and let the car roll down and stop on it's own. Well the tremble was there when the car was about to stop. It seems to be the transmission down shifting. It gives a tremble that goes thru my steering wheel. This **** is really annoying. I only have 1 hundred miles left before my warranty expires. I am afraid that the dealer won't fit my car because it's so close to expire. Do I still have the right to have my car fixed? Should I just leave my car in there lot until they fix it? I paid good money for this car. Help me out guys. Tell me what I should do, or if someone had this problem and how they fixed it. Thanks, Steve.
Old 03-24-2001, 04:16 PM

i heard the rotors only have a 12k mile warranty...leaving it in their lot won't do anything...trust me, they have plenty of room (i work at a car dealership) and if you leave it in the middle and don't give them your keys, they will have it towed...try another dealship before your 36k mile warranty runs out...try to drive it as little as possible other then driving it to dealerships
Old 03-24-2001, 05:32 PM

3 year or 36,000 miles for brake rotors. I have the same problem with mine. Trembling, shuddering, juddering, etc. sounds like brake rotors.

Check it out
http://www.fourthrock.com/maxima/is...ues/issues.html
Old 03-24-2001, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Lumbee799
3 year or 36,000 miles for brake rotors. I have the same problem with mine. Trembling, shuddering, juddering, etc. sounds like brake rotors.

Check it out
http://www.fourthrock.com/maxima/is...ues/issues.html
There was a post awhile back from REDLINE

That is the front page of the TSB on the Brak Judder. That specifically said that this is covered for 3 yrs 36,000 miles. You will most likely have to take this into the dealer to get them to honor it, but yes it is warranty work. The brakes themselves are covered for 12 months 12,000 that it is listen on page 5 of your warranty manual under the Maintanence Service Expense column. But this TSB overrides and allows us the warranty work for this problem. Just do a search and you will find it. I think its also under the STICKY thread of TSB's that kev (thanks kev!) has listed for us.
Old 03-24-2001, 09:57 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by thenjman
Every time I slow down the car to stop the steering wheel trembles. I took the car to Nissan and they told me that it could be the Rotors. And because I had 35,000 miles it couldn't be repaired under warranty. I told them to G.T.H. and left. A few days at 35,800 miles, while I was driving there was a little hill on the road, so I drove really slow up it and let the car roll down and stop on it's own. Well the tremble was there when the car was about to stop. It seems to be the transmission down shifting. It gives a tremble that goes thru my steering wheel. This **** is really annoying. I only have 1 hundred miles left before my warranty expires. I am afraid that the dealer won't fit my car because it's so close to expire. Do I still have the right to have my car fixed? Should I just leave my car in there lot until they fix it? I paid good money for this car. Help me out guys. Tell me what I should do, or if someone had this problem and how they fixed it. Thanks, Steve.
Go to the dealers and demand that you get satisfaction. Also, don't worry about your tranny cause they are covered for 60,000 miles (powertrain warranty).

EZ
Old 03-25-2001, 11:10 AM

Did you get anything in writing from the dealer at 35,000 miles? Try and get a written acknowledgement of your complaint before 36,000. It'd help if you have to fight Nissan NA after going over.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:03 AM

yep take it in

If you take it in before the warranty expires and explain the problem even if you go beyond the 36000 miles it is still covered! It is not your job to diganose the problem just to report it. Just tell Nissan the symptoms and have they put it in writing (service request or invoice) then if the problems continues, it will be covered!
Old 03-28-2001, 09:21 AM

Trans or Rotor

I took the car and they told me that my rotors needed to be cut and that it would cost me 100.00 dollars. So I paid it and the car is still the same. So the mechanic and me went for a test drive that same day and he didn't feel anything while he was driving. So I drove the car and I felt it immediately. It happens every time I am about to stop. He said it's normal. I didn't believe him. So after we got back to the shop I spoke with the service advisor and she was a real b***h! She said that if the mechanic said it's normal than it is. I told here that the only way that I would be convinced would be if I drove another 2K Maxima SE and if the car had the same tremble on the steering wheel then I would be convinced. She said that there weren't any 2K Maxima in the lot. So I asked for the service Mgr. and he was a bigger A** H*** then she was. He told me they all run like that. And that is that. They can't repair it. So I went to another dealer and they had a 2K SE for sale so I pretended I was going to buy it and took it for a test drive. Guess what? It does the same thing. What a piece of JUNK! How depressing is this. The car had 20,000 miles on it. There is a flaw with the 2K Maxima. This should not be normal. The dame steering wheel should not shake before stopping. This is something you would find in a Pontiac Grand AM. Not a 25K dollar Maxima. Anyone who has read this note of mine please take your car for a test-drive today. Accelerate then slow down and then come to a slow stop. Keep both of your hands on the steering wheels at all times. Just before you stop you will feel a pulsation/tremble thru the steering wheel. If you do please e-mail me. I am going to call NISSAN and complaint until they fix it! Sorry about such a long letter. I am so upset! Steve.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:24 AM

Re: Trans or Rotor

I took the car and they told me that my rotors needed to be cut and that it would cost me 100.00 dollars. So I paid it and the car is still the same. So the mechanic and me went for a test drive that same day and he didn't feel anything while he was driving. So I drove the car and I felt it immediately. It happens every time I am about to stop. He said it's normal. I didn't believe him. So after we got back to the shop I spoke with the service advisor and she was a real b***h! She said that if the mechanic said it's normal than it is. I told here that the only way that I would be convinced would be if I drove another 2K Maxima SE and if the car had the same tremble on the steering wheel then I would be convinced. She said that there weren't any 2K Maxima in the lot. So I asked for the service Mgr. and he was a bigger A** H*** then she was. He told me they all run like that. And that is that. They can't repair it. So I went to another dealer and they had a 2K SE for sale so I pretended I was going to buy it and took it for a test drive. Guess what? It does the same thing. What a piece of JUNK! How depressing is this. The car had 20,000 miles on it. There is a flaw with the 2K Maxima. This should not be normal. The dame steering wheel should not shake before stopping. This is something you would find in a Pontiac Grand AM. Not a 25K dollar Maxima. Anyone who has read this note of mine please take your car for a test-drive today. Accelerate then slow down and then come to a slow stop. Keep both of your hands on the steering wheels at all times. Just before you stop you will feel a pulsation/tremble thru the steering wheel. If you do please e-mail me. I am going to call NISSAN and complaint until they fix it! Sorry about such a long letter. I am so upset! Steve.
How many miles are on your max. If it is under 36k... take in a copy of the TSB and demand a refund. Then take your car to another dealer and see if you can get better assistance.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:58 AM

Re: Re: Trans or Rotor

I took the TSB and they laugh at me. They said there isn't any TSB. They think I made that up. I had 35,900 miles when they repair the rotors. Now I have 36,100 miles. If there is a TSB you better beleive that they will refund me my money.
Old 03-28-2001, 10:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Trans or Rotor

I took the TSB and they laugh at me. They said there isn't any TSB. They think I made that up. I had 35,900 miles when they repair the rotors. Now I have 36,100 miles. If there is a TSB you better beleive that they will refund me my money.
I would contact Nissan NA and verify the existance of the TSB. Once it's verified I would explain what happened and hopefully they can make it right. If not... Better Business Bureau?
Old 03-28-2001, 10:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Trans or Rotor

Sounds like ur getting jerked around. Don't let it die down. As per the TSB all they have to do is turn the rotors, so I dunno what the big deal is. Here's another piece of advice, lots of people have had rotor problems and the first time I saw the rotors on a Max i got worried. They're seriously undersized. If you drive hard you may want to consider investing in slotted/drilled rotors. They resist warping due to heat and relatively inexpensive (approx $130 a set) for the benefits u get. On the tranny not don't worry the warranty is 5yrs or 60,000 miles (which ever comes first). There a TSB for that also. Try another dealer, that mey help also. Do contact Nissan NA! I you go to the top and make enough noise they will respond. The last thing they want is bad publicity, you have plenty of people here @ the ORG that will back you up and tons of people who are itching to start some sort of petition.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 03-28-2001, 10:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trans or Rotor

Thanks. I will call NISSAN today. I won't give up without a fight.