5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wheel stud replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004 | 03:43 PM

Wheel stud replacement

How difficult is it to do on your own and what tools are required to replace the stud on the front wheel? The dealership says its 2 hrs of labor and $150. I'm thinking of going to a smaller shop and paying less. Whats the fair price to have this done?
Old 06-09-2004 | 04:20 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

If you do your own brake job at home, it's easy.
Old 06-09-2004 | 04:37 PM
The non-postwhoring Org member

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
How difficult is it to do on your own and what tools are required to replace the stud on the front wheel? The dealership says its 2 hrs of labor and $150. I'm thinking of going to a smaller shop and paying less. Whats the fair price to have this done?
It is very easy, 20 minutes at most with simple tools. I'd pay a shop no more than 30 to do it.
Old 06-09-2004 | 04:41 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Regime
It is very easy, 20 minutes at most with simple tools. I'd pay a shop no more than 30 to do it.
12mm, 17mm, a hammer, and $1.50 to $5.00 per wheel stud. 12mm to remove the calipers off the rotor. 17mm on 2 bolts to remove the caliper housing. rubber mallet will loosen the rotor up. you think it's held on by other bolts, but it's NOT.it's prolly rusted on. maybe even a few kicks will knock that thing loose. once that's does, get a hammer and wack on the top of that stud. 1 or 2 big hits and that thing is flying off. put the new one in, it'll be loose, but youse the bolt to bring it in. replace everything, and you just saved yourself mad money dookie. you're welcome.
Old 06-09-2004 | 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by PoLo
12mm, 17mm, a hammer, and $1.50 to $5.00 per wheel stud. 12mm to remove the calipers off the rotor. 17mm on 2 bolts to remove the caliper housing. rubber mallet will loosen the rotor up. you think it's held on by other bolts, but it's NOT.it's prolly rusted on. maybe even a few kicks will knock that thing loose. once that's does, get a hammer and wack on the top of that stud. 1 or 2 big hits and that thing is flying off. put the new one in, it'll be loose, but youse the bolt to bring it in. replace everything, and you just saved yourself mad money dookie. you're welcome.
yeap yeap yeap...very simple to do.
Old 06-09-2004 | 05:57 PM

What Polo said plus this:
Get an EXTRA lugnut (at autozone) and when you get the new stud in, install the caliper, put the wheel on with all lugs and torque the $hit out of the one on the new stud to make sure it sits all the way........put some real A$$ on it.... Once you cannot go any further, undo all the lugs, take the wheel off and check it. If it is all the way in, put everything back and torque your lugs to 80lb...but don't use the lug that you used to ram the stud into place, it will have streched out threads...use a new one.
Old 06-09-2004 | 06:32 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by schernov
Get an EXTRA lugnut (at autozone) and when you get the new stud in, install the caliper, put the wheel on with all lugs and torque the $hit out of the one on the new stud to make sure it sits all the way........put some real A$$ on it.... Once you cannot go any further, undo all the lugs, take the wheel off and check it. If it is all the way in, put everything back and torque your lugs to 80lb...but don't use the lug that you used to ram the stud into place, it will have streched out threads...use a new one.

nicely said. never thought of doing it like that bfr..will have to remember this!!! but seriously drop that bi@tch soooooon
Old 06-09-2004 | 06:50 PM

thank you guys, I would have done it myself but would rather pay the shop $30 to do it. I need to start attending those local meets to learn working on the car.
Old 06-09-2004 | 09:03 PM
The non-postwhoring Org member

Originally Posted by schernov
Right-O, one other thing that I do is get two washers and put them on the stud before I put the lug on to pull it into place.
The washers prevent any scoring that the lug will do to the hub and/or rotor.
Old 06-09-2004 | 09:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by PoLo

yep what he said

but what i did to be sure stud is all the way back in....i slid it in from back then put 10 or so washers then but lug nut on....when trying to tighten it, the rotor will move since caliper is off....so have someone hold the rotor or slid a thin pipe between the other lugnuts to hold rotor steady....once stud is all the way in, loosen lug nut & take washers off & so on......