5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000+ Max/i30 Owners With Break Problems, Speakup, This Is Your Chance, Read On

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 07:50 AM

OK I have a Case open with Nissan Consumer Affairs with problems on Breaks. I need a accurate head count with with all the people with these problems. I have to get everyone's name and problems they are experiencing and what the dealer did to fix the problem (if Any).. if U can, Email me with your issues PI0NEER@attglobal.net Lets get this show on the road. This might be our chance to get Nissan to do something about it. The TSB is not good enough, Nissan says they haven't had that many problems to do a recall. I give you by end of Next week to get this to me. Thanks.

Oh as for my breaks. The dealer charged me $99 the first time to cut the rotors. and 2 weeks ago they charged me $270 to replace 2 front rotors. Pissed me off, they wouldn't honor their warranty. but I'm getting my money back through consumer affairs. 1 Advice. if U get break work done at Nissan, Try to charge on credit card so U can dispute later. cash has no value.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:16 AM

My brake problems.

I had warped rotors at approx 12k miles. They cut the rotors and replaced the pads all under warranty. I've got about 16,500 miles and seems okay so far...
Old 03-29-2001, 08:28 AM

Re: My brake problems.

Originally posted by punkdork
I had warped rotors at approx 12k miles. They cut the rotors and replaced the pads all under warranty. I've got about 16,500 miles and seems okay so far...
Mine warped at around 11K, took it to dealer at 13K, paid $99 to have them cut no pads. took it back in at 22K cut again with pads this time, nothing paid. Took it in again at 29K replaced rotors paid $270..

When U guys Email me.. Mention your car year and trim level please.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The only problem I have with breaks is when my employees take too long for coffee. As for my Maxima's brakes, I have no problems.
Old 03-29-2001, 10:17 AM

My 2K SE's rotors warped at less than 12K miles.. Habberstadt Nissan in Long Island first told me that it was my fault.. that I was braking too hard. I had a small discussion with the service manager about how my previous Pontiac/Toyota/Chevy's had not had any problems with no change in driving habits.

They eventually agreed to turn the rotors and even the pads out.. which while not making the brakes as smooth as new.. helped quite a bit.. now I'm at 19K miles.. and they are warped again.

I'm just hopeful that someone comes out with heavier aftermarket parts designed specifically for the 5th Gen.

- Bryan
Old 03-29-2001, 10:27 AM

I went in because the car shakes, even more when braking. I had pulled the e-brake while crusin at 60 and determined that it was from the rear where the add'l vibration was coming from. They relaced the fronts, no difference(like DUH!). Told them so on the cell phone on the way home. Repeated it was the rears. Told to bring it back. Next week I bring it in, phone call yup the rears, we will order them. I am now pissed, stated that it was the rear to begin with, told me to bring it back, and now a 3rd time to come in, why was i there now?!?!?!?! They replaced the rears, good for a short time , now the (new) fronts are starting to vibrate. Svc advisor said no problems w/warranty 3 yr/36k on rotors but wouldn't touch the pads which so far are ok. don't remeber the milage about 10k to 15k ,now 21k on car, lot of hwy driving....

Good car , absolutelty the worst service I have been through!
Old 03-29-2001, 10:40 AM

I had a bad groaning noise coming from the right front brakes only during hard braking back in May 2000 with only 10K miles. The dealer repaired them for free and said that the rotor vanes had packed full of mud. I have had no problems since.
Old 03-29-2001, 12:57 PM
Got Bent?

I am at only 8k miles now. The shaking has started to happen more often at times. It doesn't happen always, but at certain speeds it is there. I am sure it will get worse later on...
Old 03-29-2001, 01:18 PM

At 9,000 miles, I had brake problems - took them in and was also told that it was my fault - I must be a hard braker. After some words and explanation that there is no way that my rotors should be warped this soon, I got them turned only under warranty - no exchange of pads, etc. Now, the car has 15,500 miles and it is doing it again. Took it back - they said tough luck. Southpoint Nissan in St. Louis.

2000 Maxima SE
Old 03-29-2001, 01:36 PM

Spoke with Nissan CA also

Notice the variation in people's stories in this thread? Some dealers helpful, some not? Nissan CA said it is at the dealer's discretion to decide whether this work is covered by warranty. Basically you are not guaranteed the same service outcome from dealer to dealer. Based upon people's experiences here, this clearly seems to be true.

I revert back to the TSB -- the TSB very clearly states that both the rotor turing AND new pads are covered by the 3/36 warranty.

My problem was "having aftermarket wheels". I'm going to use another dealer in my area which a Nissan CA rep called ahead and spoke to the service manager for me. Hopefully there will be no problem now.
Old 03-29-2001, 05:14 PM
RBa

I'm so pissed.....!

Started realizing problem from 6k. Now I have 10k. I took it to the dealer yesterday but no problems... WTF!!!! From 6k til now it was very noticeable and the day I take it in it goes away....
Well, The problem returned since it's raining today.
Old 03-29-2001, 06:20 PM

.....got almost 4000miles...no problems so far.
Old 03-29-2001, 06:49 PM

Count me in. I had to get my brakes and rotors replaced at 20k miles. The dealer also told me it wasn't covered under warranty. I was told that it would have been covered if it had happened prior to 12k miles. Well I had to pay $280 after all said and done.
Old 03-29-2001, 07:28 PM

I took mine in at 12,000 miles for vibration during braking at high speeds. This was before the brake TSB came out. They replaced my front rotors without question or fanfare. Nothing else was done. I have nearly have 17,000 miles on my car now and everything is fine.

So far Gaithersburg Nissan has fixed or addressed every problem I've had with my car.
Old 03-29-2001, 07:29 PM

I had a little test a couple of days ago on my brakes.

It was rush hour and I was following a Ford Bronco fairly close. We were going about 75mph in a 55mph zone. The traffic was going about 65mph so I guess I was speeding. I guess the guy in the Bronco was busy doing something else and all of a sudden braked very hard because the traffic up front had already come to a complete stop and I heard and saw his tires squeal and smoke. He then flicked the steering wheel the the left going into the ditch. I slammed on my brakes, though ABS did not engage because the tires did not slip, and I steered into the right lane fast. I was amazed at how this car handled in emergency situations. I was glad that there was no car on my right or else I would have hit them. After regaining calmness, I realized that my rotors were fine and I didn't feel any juddering or shake when I slamed the brakes. I drive fairly agressively, my poor MPG showed that, but my rotors are not warped. My car is close to 16.5K miles.

How are you driving habits?
Old 03-29-2001, 08:07 PM

Comon Guys, This is poor support. over a 100 views and 2dozen emails. Anyway just incase you new guys don't know, here is a slip my dealer gave me when I took the car in for service the first time last year, EXCUSE NOT TO HONOR WARRANTY. Its not the way I drive my car, I don't slam break like the idiot dealer told me he was doing to his car from 70-0.. I was like I don't do that crap to my car.

www.geocities.com/nismorg/Misc/Invoice1.gif
www.geocities.com/nismorg/Misc/Invoice2.gif
If the image doesn't come up, click on red X, go to properties and cut and paste the URL into your browser.

Now when I went 2 weeks ago, they gave me the same story. I had my rotors warped at 13K, then at 22K and now at 28K they replaced them and charged me for it. The dealer will not honor the warranty or the TSB. The service manager said the TSB is not for my car. I said what do U mean, it says right here 2000 Maxima. the lady manager said "SIR I'm NOT GOING TO ARGUE WITH U, PLEASE PAY THE BILL AND CALL 800 NISSAN1 THEY WILL HELP ME, THE DEALER CAN'T DO ANYTHING.. MAN I WAS SOO MAD. I called a lawyer. He was happy to take my case. He said to tell the dealer to hold the rotors for evidence so NISSAN Can prove that I drive the car hard by looking at the rotors. On top of all this, they didn't give me an estimate b4 they worked on the car, and when I told the manger that illegal to work on a car and not give an estimate, he said call NISSAN at the 800 #. I Told that idiot I'll pay for it but I want U to write on the invoice that CUSTOMER WAS NOT Given an Estimate Prior to work done on the car, the guy signed it.. Faxed it into Nissan consumer affairs and they are refunding me. This is poor service. Its not the car that's the problem, its the service. I have no problems with my car, breaks and things like that are not problems, they ware out from time to time but its how the dealer deals with it to fix it. And if I paid $25K for the car I don't wanna hear any mouth when it comes to work dealer is suppose to take care of since I've already paid him for it and its a on going problem on the same issue.

Anyways, keep emailing me with your break issues and what the dealer did to fix it or when it started and year and model of Maxima or I30
Old 03-29-2001, 08:12 PM

My right front rotor is warped !!!!! 2k max se
Old 03-29-2001, 08:42 PM
DKNYchinito

I experience alot of "shaking" when applying brakes when it is raining and my rotors are wet. Now does this apply to "brake judder"?

-D

Old 03-29-2001, 09:05 PM

You can count me in. Sending you an email now. This needs to be resolved or compensate us $$$ for our troubles.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:07 PM
RBa

Originally posted by DKNYchinito
I experience alot of "shaking" when applying brakes when it is raining and my rotors are wet. Now does this apply to "brake judder"?

-D
I have the same problem..
Old 03-29-2001, 09:18 PM
DKNYchinito

Originally posted by RBa

I have the same problem..
so did you take your car in to get new rotors to resolve this... or is this something i shouldn't really worry about. I have to say that its pretty damn annoying though. Scared the sh|t outta me the first time i noticed it.

-D

Old 03-29-2001, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by PIONEER
Comon Guys, This is poor support. over a 100 views and 2dozen emails. Anyway just incase you new guys don't know, here is a slip my dealer gave me when I took the car in for service the first time last year, EXCUSE NOT TO HONOR WARRANTY. Its not the way I drive my car, I don't slam break like the idiot dealer told me he was doing to his car from 70-0.. I was like I don't do that crap to my car.

www.geocities.com/nismorg/Misc/Invoice1.gif
www.geocities.com/nismorg/Misc/Invoice2.gif
If the image doesn't come up, click on red X, go to properties and cut and paste the URL into your browser.
Man what a crock... so if you drive it like they do in the commercials it's unsupported... lame
Old 03-29-2001, 10:13 PM

don't flame me for asking but, how can you tell if your rotors are warped? i'm only 16. :/
Old 03-29-2001, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by augie
don't flame me for asking but, how can you tell if your rotors are warped? i'm only 16. :/
Vibration or shuddering while braking... often felt in the pedal or steering wheel.
Old 03-29-2001, 10:33 PM
DKNYchinito

Vibration or shuddering while braking... often felt in the pedal or steering wheel.
now does this apply when its usually raining? cuz that's when i mainly notice it. Once i get off work, im gonna test my brakes on the way home, but im just trying to clarify if wet rotors is a significant cause of brake judder.

thanks,
Dave

Old 03-29-2001, 10:36 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

They didn't fix my rotors because my car was lowered and the suspension setup was changed.

Nissan ~~><~~ Us
Old 03-29-2001, 10:43 PM
DKNYchinito

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
They didn't fix my rotors because my car was lowered and the suspension setup was changed.

Nissan ~~><~~ Us
man, that sucks. ive heard that if you mod a car under warranty, the dealership must prove that the mod was the cause of deterioration of the part, otherwise they have to fix it under warranty. has anyone heard of this? because losing my warranty is the one thing keeping me from hooking up my ride.

Old 03-29-2001, 10:59 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

man, that sucks. ive heard that if you mod a car under warranty, the dealership must prove that the mod was the cause of deterioration of the part, otherwise they have to fix it under warranty. has anyone heard of this? because losing my warranty is the one thing keeping me from hooking up my ride.
This is true, but having both sides prove and disprove each other seems like a long process. Some dealers are **** and won't fix things under warranty, while other will with no questions asked. It basically depends on if your dealer is nice or not.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:30 PM
DKNYchinito

now does this apply when its usually raining? cuz that's when i mainly notice it. Once i get off work, im gonna test my brakes on the way home, but im just trying to clarify if wet rotors is a significant cause of brake judder.

thanks,
Dave

Old 03-30-2001, 06:42 AM

thanks,
Dave
I personally don't notice any difference in the rain other than an occasional groan from wet rotors.
Old 03-30-2001, 07:05 AM
TommyBoiSxty9

I think I'm glad I didn't lease a 2K when I was able to afford it... it seems like u guys have nothing but probs....
Brakes, Tranny!!, rattles, this that, paint coming off... ay

Old 04-25-2001, 12:01 PM
massmax

bad rotor

PIONEER I allready sent you an email (John S.), but I wanted to refresh the thread in case people haven't seen it in a while. Had to have my rotors serviced at 11,500 and I need it again very badly at 22,500. Almost got into an accident the other day cause I couldn't stop.

Hey Nissan, all it takes is one person getting messed up cause your brakes are failing...big $$... it's not like I'm driving on a track.

Old 04-25-2001, 04:07 PM

Whew! I thought it was only me that had this problem, I am glad to know everyone else is going through the same thing. The guys at the dealership look at me crazy when I tell them that my car has seizures when braking at high speeds. My rotor seems to be making a scuffing/grinding noise whem I brake hard as well!
Old 04-25-2001, 05:12 PM

Hey. I already emailed PIONEER almost same thing as below..

I had the following issue:
At about 18-20K (I have 24K now) the dealer told me brakes are worn out. The car would rattle, shake if I braked at over 40 miles/h. Asked my friend, also 2K max SE, same thing. But since I had more miles I thought ok, needs to be done... Payed the dealer, they had my rotors cut and new breaks put in. I had no idea that any of this is covered by warranty. Ok for like 2 months, now, all of a sudden they started to sqeek!! What is that all about!? This has been happening for like 2-3 weeks every day but mostly only for first 15 mins of driving, but every time!! Thought it would go away but did not. Had no time to go to dealer (at school in Long Island and the dealer is in Brooklyn...)
Please let me know what I should/can do? Should I go back and ask for money back or what?

Also, the TSB at
http://www.punkdork.net/max/rotor%20tsb.jpg
Only seems to open have the document, is it supposed to be that way. Last line I see ends with ".... than the conventional" Is that it.

Thank you guys, espaciall PIONEER for taking the time to deal with this!
Old 04-25-2001, 06:29 PM

kinda

Originally posted by PIONEER
OK I have a Case open with Nissan Consumer Affairs with problems on Breaks. I need a accurate head count with with all the people with these problems. I have to get everyone's name and problems they are experiencing and what the dealer did to fix the problem (if Any).. if U can, Email me with your issues PI0NEER@attglobal.net Lets get this show on the road. This might be our chance to get Nissan to do something about it. The TSB is not good enough, Nissan says they haven't had that many problems to do a recall. I give you by end of Next week to get this to me. Thanks.

Oh as for my breaks. The dealer charged me $99 the first time to cut the rotors. and 2 weeks ago they charged me $270 to replace 2 front rotors. ****ed me off, they wouldn't honor their warranty. but I'm getting my money back through consumer affairs. 1 Advice. if U get break work done at Nissan, Try to charge on credit card so U can dispute later. cash has no value.

the only prob i have with the breaks is that i don't think it's tooooo respondsive, however nothing serious. i like my break but i think it could be a lil more responsive for a new car.
Old 04-26-2001, 04:16 AM

Me too...!

Originally posted by Chuvak
Hey. I already emailed PIONEER almost same thing as below..

I had the following issue:
At about 18-20K (I have 24K now) the dealer told me brakes are worn out. The car would rattle, shake if I braked at over 40 miles/h. Asked my friend, also 2K max SE, same thing. But since I had more miles I thought ok, needs to be done... Payed the dealer, they had my rotors cut and new breaks put in. I had no idea that any of this is covered by warranty. Ok for like 2 months, now, all of a sudden they started to sqeek!! What is that all about!? This has been happening for like 2-3 weeks every day but mostly only for first 15 mins of driving, but every time!! Thought it would go away but did not. Had no time to go to dealer (at school in Long Island and the dealer is in Brooklyn...)
Please let me know what I should/can do? Should I go back and ask for money back or what?

Also, the TSB at
http://www.punkdork.net/max/rotor%20tsb.jpg
Only seems to open have the document, is it supposed to be that way. Last line I see ends with ".... than the conventional" Is that it.

Thank you guys, espaciall PIONEER for taking the time to deal with this!
I tried to print out the Brake Judder TSB and only about HALF of it will come up or print out...the last line is
"on-car brake lathe is more effectve in reducing brake rotor run out than the conventional" ....and it ends right there! Anyone know why?
Old 04-26-2001, 04:31 AM

I had problems at 10,000(warped rotors)...the dealer thought about charging me to cut the rotors...i gave them the finger...j/k
Old 04-26-2001, 08:12 PM

my brakes have been warped for about 6k miles (i'm at 17k right now) and my dealer won't warranty them because of the fact that my calipers are painted red...obviously if there is a tsb out on the issue, there is a problem...i told them to prove to me that my calipers being painted had anything to do w/ the rotors being warped and they refused and said they didn't have to
Old 04-26-2001, 10:32 PM

brake problems

I've got front rotors warped at about 10k miles but didn't pay much attention since it was winter and I wasn't aware about the rest ... So, I came to the dealer at 15k miles with this problem - it'been getting worse. They asked 200 CDN for turning rotors only. I was told that it was caused by "heat build up". By that time I was educated enough and refused to that offer. Did it at local shop for 20 CDN both and installed/serviced them by myself. Visiting dealer didn't seem to worth a trouble. I mention TSB (but didn't have it at hands) to the dealer and they certainly told me that warranty wasn't extended. I've got about 3k miles since and no problems with rotors so far. I've been using torgue wrench for wheel nuts since 10k miles. I started too late I guess. BTW, only one rotor was seriously warped, another one seemed OK.

2k GLE, Toronto, Canada.
Old 04-26-2001, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by MrBurner
my brakes have been warped for about 6k miles (i'm at 17k right now) and my dealer won't warranty them because of the fact that my calipers are painted red...obviously if there is a tsb out on the issue, there is a problem...i told them to prove to me that my calipers being painted had anything to do w/ the rotors being warped and they refused and said they didn't have to
Have you called Nissan NA?

Quick Reply: 2000+ Max/i30 Owners With Break Problems, Speakup, This Is Your Chance, Read On