5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Where is the best place to put jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 09:53 AM

Where is the best place to put jack stands?

I mean, I know where the jacking points are under the sides of the car, but where do the stands go? The only points I could think of were under the control arm mounts, at the tow hooks, or at the jacking points themselves. I'm replacing my brake rotors today so any help would be muchly appreciated. The repair manual that I have only shows the jacking points, by the way...
Old 06-12-2004, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Architect
I mean, I know where the jacking points are under the sides of the car, but where do the stands go? The only points I could think of were under the control arm mounts, at the tow hooks, or at the jacking points themselves. I'm replacing my brake rotors today so any help would be muchly appreciated. The repair manual that I have only shows the jacking points, by the way...

Nevermind, I figured it out...
Old 06-12-2004, 12:25 PM

Nevermind, I figured it out...
Don't keep me in suspense. I ran into the same trouble when I put my RSB on. I didn't want the stands under the axle, they would be in the way. I couldn't jack with the rear jack points (in front of the rear tire) and put the stands there. I ended up using the stock jack (I couldn't find a strong enough point to use a floor jack) in the FRONT and lifting the whole side then putting the stands under the rear jack points. I want an easier way.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:46 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Rayn4est
Don't keep me in suspense. I ran into the same trouble when I put my RSB on. I didn't want the stands under the axle, they would be in the way. I couldn't jack with the rear jack points (in front of the rear tire) and put the stands there. I ended up using the stock jack (I couldn't find a strong enough point to use a floor jack) in the FRONT and lifting the whole side then putting the stands under the rear jack points. I want an easier way.

there are adapters taht can buy that go on the jack stands and then you can use the stands on your regular jack points. these adapters have slits so that it sits perfectly.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:07 PM

What if you don't have adapters? Where do you put the stands?

Where can I get adapters?
Old 06-12-2004, 07:12 PM
retired moderator

put them under the actual frame of the car - those two big metal beams that run from the front axle area to the rear axle area. You can see the frame - it sticks down below the rest of the undercarriage.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rayn4est

There's a jacking point at the front and at the rear of the car (on the centerline of the car front to rear). The one in the front is pretty easy to see, but I didn't really look for the rear one since I was only doing my front brakes. Jack the car up there high enough to put the stands under the jack points at the side of the car. That is all there is to it.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:27 AM

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...&keyword=43042

If you need an adapter kit for your regular floor jack, to jack up from the side of the car, here is one
Old 06-14-2004, 09:51 AM

There's a jacking point at the front and at the rear of the car (on the centerline of the car front to rear). The one in the front is pretty easy to see, but I didn't really look for the rear one since I was only doing my front brakes. Jack the car up there high enough to put the stands under the jack points at the side of the car. That is all there is to it.
for the front ....does the jacking point looks like the half-ball (rounded piece of metal that is hollow, kind of like if you would cut the baseball along the center)?
#%#$%#$ terminology
Old 06-14-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 02icarus
for the front ....does the jacking point looks like the half-ball (rounded piece of metal that is hollow, kind of like if you would cut the baseball along the center)?
#%#$%#$ terminology
=

No, according to FSM, front jack piont is in smack in the middle of the engine compartment - there is a "cross-member" going from fron towards the rear ...sort of bending upwards...this is where you are supposed to jack up from the front. To jack up rear -- use Rear axel.

Jack stands - as Irish44 commented would probably go either under the frame, or you need to get an adapter for each stand similar to the link above to use standard 4 corner jack points.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:58 AM

bah...now im confused. wish someone had a picture
Old 06-14-2004, 04:39 PM

The rear centerline jack point is the axle. You need a floor jack that is kind of long (ie, a good garage jack, not a cheap one) or you'll not have any room to swing the lever to raise the car.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:50 PM

try getting a standard jack under the front if your car is lowered...l mine wont go.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:45 PM

chrome...drive onto something elevated w/your front tires like some boards or something to get your front higher off the ground...then slip the jack under