5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y-Pipe installed...now I have a new noise!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 05:57 PM

Y-Pipe installed...now I have a new noise!

This weekend I installed a Warpspeed Y on my '01. Everything went OK but now I seem to have a slight banging sound. Seems if I take off hard in first, just before the tires break loose, I will get a rapid tapping sound that seems to come from the around the shifter. I am not sure if something is hitting the linkage, but it looks like everything has enough clearance and is held in tight. Anyone else run into this?

I figure I will climb back under the car this next weekend but figured I would see if anyone has any ideas about what to be looking out for. Thanks. Oh, and please don't post the should've bought Cattman comments.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:06 PM

I had a Budget Y-pipe installed at a shop last Thursday. When I left I experienced a rubbing sound when I stepped on it or when I was turning right, not left. I took it back and the shop owner, not the mechanic who installed it, crawled under the car and said the problem was with a heat shield that he moved slightly. However, that still was not the solution and I took it back again. As the hoist was still tied up, he and the mechanic who installed the Y-pipe both got under the car. I believe they moved some kind of bracket on the original remaining exhaust that was in need of moving as a result of the installation of the Y-pipe. They said it was in the wrong place to begin with. Not sure about that, but the grating sound went away and has not returned.

I suspect that something under there has to be moved/repositioned and it is probably no big deal, but it will drive you out of your mind until it is resolved.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
This weekend I installed a Warpspeed Y on my '01. Everything went OK but now I seem to have a slight banging sound. Seems if I take off hard in first, just before the tires break loose, I will get a rapid tapping sound that seems to come from the around the shifter. I am not sure if something is hitting the linkage, but it looks like everything has enough clearance and is held in tight. Anyone else run into this?

I figure I will climb back under the car this next weekend but figured I would see if anyone has any ideas about what to be looking out for. Thanks. Oh, and please don't post the should've bought Cattman comments.
I have a warpspeed too which I installed about 2 months ago. No banging noises here, just chjeck your clearances when u get down there and make sure the hanger is installed correctly. Some bolts come lose when u first install and they heat up and cool down, they expand and shrink and might come loose a bit.
The hanger rubber on the chassis could be broke, check that and also if one of your motor mounts is going bad that might cause the noise also.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kiosk
I have a warpspeed too which I installed about 2 months ago. No banging noises here, just chjeck your clearances when u get down there and make sure the hanger is installed correctly. Some bolts come lose when u first install and they heat up and cool down, they expand and shrink and might come loose a bit.
The hanger rubber on the chassis could be broke, check that and also if one of your motor mounts is going bad that might cause the noise also.
I am not sure if the hanger is installed right or not. It's not really described very well in the instructions, a picture or two would help.

There was one complication with the install. When I tried loosening the bolts for the front precat (CA spec) I snapped the head off one of them. I am not sure if it is leaking there or not. There are five other bolts holding it in place and I don't think the exhaust pressure is that great, but I have my concerns. Say, for example, it was leaking there, how would it sound.

Getting the rest of that bolt out would probably require taking the front manifold off and I would rather not.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:58 AM

Hmm I just installed Y pipe ad have noticed somethig like u guys describe, when i punch it feels like the pressure jerks the pipe and hits the floor board or soemthing from under the car, guess iam going to check it out see if i can find the problem....
Old 06-15-2004, 10:08 AM
I miss the .org!

The WSP hangs too low, so it could be hitting that crossmember? Also, since the hanger thing is placed incorrectly, the pipe doesn't have the proper support and it probably moves around alot more than it should.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's banging on the crossmember under the cat. Either take it off or learn to deal with it. The hanger that came with the warpspeed pipe sucks... I'm going to fabricate my own to support the pipe.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:10 AM

Yeah, that crossmember behind the main cat seems to be the closest to hitting anything...only like 1/8" on so above it. Everywhere else looked to be around 1/4" or so. I was going to try removing the crossmember to test it out...if it works I will try finding longer bolts and washers to lower the crossmember.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:51 PM

OK I removed the crossmember, and it looks like the problem is solved. Is it important...why's it there anyway?
Old 06-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When I had mine installed, Jeff from Maximum Tuning just removed the crossmember. Said I didn't need it and doesn't do anything anyway.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:14 PM
scopium

the cross member is only there because.. "safety" if the y pipe or the cat disconnects from each other it wone drag on the floor....

also i think there is a grounding wire there.. but that doesnt make any difference..
i've had mine off for about 6 months and no problem

Old 06-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Mauja He Mauja

i am crapping sick of the banging and allll...okay i have vented
Old 06-15-2004, 10:37 PM

I had this problem with my WSP y-pipe and let me tell you it's a easyz fix. All you have to do is put a rubber hose on the hanger(comes with the y-pipe) itself and put it in place.!!!!!!!!! The problem is that the hanger thats on the y-pipe is hitting the 2 metal stems that's on the car. A real easyz fix... Now I can do burnouts without experiencing that stupid tapping sound......

Ps I know there's alot of people who just take off the hanger, but don't take it off.!!!!! Your going to need that support to keep the cat. from hitting.!!!!