5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Magnaflow Muffler... Interior sounds are annoying.. Need Suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 05:02 PM

I just installed the Magnaflow muffler and the outside sounds like a low bass sound. The inside while traveling on the freeway at 70mph at 2500rpms is very annoying and has a constant bass sound. Should I do a dynomat installation? Do I need to change out the resignator (Spelling)? I don't mind a mean car sound like Y2KevSE's, but mines a low bass sound that doesn't sound mean at all, just annoying. Oh yeah, will a Y-pipe change the sound as well as the resignator? Thanks for the help.

Tom 2kGXE
Old 03-29-2001, 05:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by tomI30
I just installed the Magnaflow muffler and the outside sounds like a low bass sound. The inside while traveling on the freeway at 70mph at 2500rpms is very annoying and has a constant bass sound. Should I do a dynomat installation? Do I need to change out the resignator (Spelling)? I don't mind a mean car sound like Y2KevSE's, but mines a low bass sound that doesn't sound mean at all, just annoying. Oh yeah, will a Y-pipe change the sound as well as the resignator? Thanks for the help.

Tom 2kGXE
70 mph at 2500 rpm . . . must be nice. You OBVIOUSLY have an automatic.

All Magnaflow mufflers tend to drone at around 2500 rpm. Mine does as well. But I have a manual transmission and at 70 mph, my engine rotates at 3,000 rpm. That's well past the drone range. And if you still have your stock resonator in place, replacing it with another will probably do you no good.

One thing you could do is turn off your overdrive. That would bring up your rpm and reduce the drone. But it will play hell with your gas mileage.
Old 03-29-2001, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by y2kse

All Magnaflow mufflers tend to drone at around 2500 rpm. Mine does as well. But I have a manual transmission and at 70 mph, my engine rotates at 3,000 rpm. That's well past the drone range. And if you still have your stock resonator in place, replacing it with another will probably do you no good.

One thing you could do is turn off your overdrive. That would bring up your rpm and reduce the drone. But it will play hell with your gas mileage.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try turning the overdive off while driving home. I'll touch base with the results when I get home.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:57 PM
PKO

Hey y2kse

I did a search on the Dynomax Turbo muffler and found you had an exhaust setup I was thinking of doing. You seemed to be happy with the Dynomax. Why the change to the Magnaflow?
Old 03-29-2001, 10:38 PM

I turned the OD off during my drive home and the RPM's were too high 4000rpms. Oh well, looks like I'm getting some sound detening material soon. Thanks for the advice though.

Tom 2kGXE
Old 03-29-2001, 10:54 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hmmmm... putting a larger resonator on the b pipe will definitely help.

A y pipe will DEFINITELY increase the noise. VVVVRRRROOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2001, 05:06 AM

The y-pipe will definitely increase the exhaust noise (especially if you have remove the resonator and added an aftermarket muffler). However, you should be able counteract this by getting an aftermarket resonator and replacing the stock unit. Just get a high quality unit free flowing unit.
Old 03-30-2001, 05:57 AM
OzziSVT

Dynomax Bullet 2.5" $35. That will kill a lot of the drone. Stay away from Cherry Bombs, Thrush and Turbo Mufflers. They are all restrictive, especially the Turbo mufflers. Dynomax's Ultraflow mufflers are awesome. You could always buy a round shell Ultraflow (17230 - $70) instead of a Bullet to use in the stock resonator position, instead of a Bullet, if it fits (they are 6" in diameter). This will quieten it down a lot and make it more bassy. Check out Dynomax's website (www.dynomax.com)and find a part number, then just order the Ultraflow through Summit racing (www.summitracing.com).

Old 03-30-2001, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by OzziSVT
Dynomax Bullet 2.5" $35. That will kill a lot of the drone. Stay away from Cherry Bombs, Thrush and Turbo Mufflers. They are all restrictive, especially the Turbo mufflers. Dynomax's Ultraflow mufflers are awesome. You could always buy a round shell Ultraflow (17230 - $70) instead of a Bullet to use in the stock resonator position, instead of a Bullet, if it fits (they are 6" in diameter). This will quieten it down a lot and make it more bassy. Check out Dynomax's website (www.dynomax.com)and find a part number, then just order the Ultraflow through Summit racing (www.summitracing.com).
How does your bullet 2.5" Dynomax sound? It's the low bass sound that kills me....

Tom 2kGXE
Old 03-30-2001, 09:41 AM
OzziSVT

Originally posted by tomI30

How does your bullet 2.5" Dynomax sound? It's the low bass sound that kills me....

Tom 2kGXE
Tom,
actually it is the pipe under your cabin resonating that is killing you. The Bullet attenuates the frquencies that are responsible for resonance, so it will sound deep, but not boomy.

Old 03-30-2001, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by OzziSVT

Tom,
actually it is the pipe under your cabin resonating that is killing you. The Bullet attenuates the frquencies that are responsible for resonance, so it will sound deep, but not boomy.
Wouldn't deep make it sound even louder?

Tom 2kGXE