5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Black paint of 2k Max is very thin!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 04:15 PM

I don't know if this happen to any of you, but I got a Black paint Maxima that the paint was so thin. You could clearly see the spiral mark ALL OVER TEH CAR! Yes, Spiral mark all over the car that CANNOT be covered using wax!

Is it just my car or what? How can I fix it? Sorry that I cuoldn't put the picture of the spiral mark scratch mark because the dig cam cannot be too detailed.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick
I don't know if this happen to any of you, but I got a Black paint Maxima that the paint was so thin. You could clearly see the spiral mark ALL OVER TEH CAR! Yes, Spiral mark all over the car that CANNOT be covered using wax!

Is it just my car or what? How can I fix it? Sorry that I cuoldn't put the picture of the spiral mark scratch mark because the dig cam cannot be too detailed.
Welcome to the cheap paint on our 5th gen maxes... huge thread about it... some members are putting together a campaign to try and get Nissan NA to do something.. they probably can't due to environmental restrictions.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by punkdork

Welcome to the cheap paint on our 5th gen maxes... huge thread about it... some members are putting together a campaign to try and get Nissan NA to do something.. they probably can't due to environmental restrictions.
So are you saying that this happened to your Maxima as well? What kind of wax did you guys use to try to cover up the problem? I use Mother wax designed for Black pint to hide the spirals.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:42 PM
Adam01GXE

Originally posted by LoveSick

So are you saying that this happened to your Maxima as well? What kind of wax did you guys use to try to cover up the problem? I use Mother wax designed for Black pint to hide the spirals.
Good luck. We're pretty much stuck with it for the time being. Wait until it starts to chip. If you have the money get it repainted. That seems to be the only clear solution to this problem. What's really funny is how the brochure actually makes mention of the quality paint job!

Old 03-30-2001, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Adam01GXE

Good luck. We're pretty much stuck with it for the time being. Wait until it starts to chip. If you have the money get it repainted. That seems to be the only clear solution to this problem. What's really funny is how the brochure actually makes mention of the quality paint job!
The brouchure siad that the paint is the most durable paint in the world!
Old 03-30-2001, 07:59 PM

wake up and smell the paint thinner!

LOL

If you've missed it, scan "paint chips on 5th gen unusually excessive". There will be a site (www.nissanpaint.com or www.maximapaint.com) where you will be able to go and register a complaint. After a period of data collection, a letter, and the documentation, will go to Nissan.

It is probably a very long shot to think Nissan will give us the time of day. But I think with as many of us that are vocal, there are probably at least 5-10 more that are not. We can't lie down and just let Nissan screw us over on this one. And the one thing we have going for us is the 2000 sales brochure that makes a point of boasting about their paint.

Anyone notice how that claim was absent from the 2001 brochure???

Bottom line, when the site is up (and there will be an announcement), go to it and make your voice heard.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 03-30-2001, 08:06 PM

Re: wake up and smell the paint thinner!

Originally posted by srmtn
LOL

If you've missed it, scan "paint chips on 5th gen unusually excessive". There will be a site (www.nissanpaint.com or www.maximapaint.com) where you will be able to go and register a complaint. After a period of data collection, a letter, and the documentation, will go to Nissan.

It is probably a very long shot to think Nissan will give us the time of day. But I think with as many of us that are vocal, there are probably at least 5-10 more that are not. We can't lie down and just let Nissan screw us over on this one. And the one thing we have going for us is the 2000 sales brochure that makes a point of boasting about their paint.

Bottom line, when the site is up (and there will be an announcement), go to it and make your voice heard.

Thanks,

Scott

I really think other colors aren't that bad at all! It is the Black that has the worst paint ever! Anyways, WE MUST deserve what we were told we will get. THe brouchure told us that Maxima uses the most durable baked paint in the world. It is reasonable for paying what we were told to get! Right?
Old 03-30-2001, 08:39 PM

I missed that in the readings, but I think the part about the dimond being shot was at the metal itself and not at the paint. something about rust proofing?
Nevermind, I found my book. Its shooting at paint. Ok that's two things I hate in the ad. That and gas milage.
Old 03-30-2001, 09:57 PM
Adam01GXE

Re: wake up and smell the paint thinner!

Originally posted by srmtn
yeah, i've got a '01 brochure...it makes no mention of the direct quality of the paint. however, it does point out in one of the side boxes "robotic welds...2148 STEPS IN PAINT PROCESS...39". i think that they only used one step to actually spray paint AND clear coat on the car. the other 38 were reserved for people taking breaks and laughing about how they were saving money by screwing their customers with cheap paint!

Old 03-30-2001, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: wake up and smell the paint thinner!

Originally posted by Adam01GXE

yeah, i've got a '01 brochure...it makes no mention of the direct quality of the paint. however, it does point out in one of the side boxes "robotic welds...2148 STEPS IN PAINT PROCESS...39". i think that they only used one step to actually spray paint AND clear coat on the car. the other 38 were reserved for people taking breaks and laughing about how they were saving money by screwing their customers with cheap paint!
Close... 1 step painting... 38 steps... making the paint weaker
Old 03-30-2001, 10:45 PM
Adam01GXE

Re: Re: Re: wake up and smell the paint thinner!

Originally posted by punkdork

Close... 1 step painting... 38 steps... making the paint weaker
well at least their engineering department got something right!