5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ignition timing advance - pros,cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ignition timing advance - pros,cons

What are the pro's and con's of ignition timing advance? How much of an advance would be beneficial+safe?

Tim
Old 06-23-2004, 12:06 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by nailz420
What are the pro's and con's of ignition timing advance? How much of an advance would be beneficial+safe?

Tim
no cons that i can think of except you have to run premium which we should be anyways. stock settings are typically 14-15 btdc. the most advance that is possible through the consult 2 is 17 before top dead center. there is a procedure through some idle air that is supposed to allow the consult 2 to take it up to 20 but i cant think of anyone that has actually done it. results for me was a more responsive low end.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

More timing adds low end power and takes away from high end power.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:24 PM

anyone know how? or is this a strictly consult 2 thing? my friend has a timing light and multimeter.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:34 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Wardo
More timing adds low end power and takes away from high end power.
advancing the timing does not take away power from the top end. it simply does not affect it with only 2-3 degrees of timing. it should also help fuel mileage as the motor is working more efficiently.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:35 PM

con: can't run nitrous
Old 06-23-2004, 12:36 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
anyone know how? or is this a strictly consult 2 thing? my friend has a timing light and multimeter.
its controlled through the ecu, consult is the only way.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sloppymax
advancing the timing does not take away power from the top end. it simply does not affect it with only 2-3 degrees of timing. it should also help fuel mileage as the motor is working more efficiently.

You base this on what? Timing sets the power curve, plan and simple. Lower timing kills bottom end and moves HP up in the RPM range/to a higher rpm, more timing makes low RPM timing but the motor wont pull as hard at higher RPM.

2-3* of timing, at least in a SBC, will range HP from 5-10 horse at the same RPM in each direction.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:32 PM

dude you are smoking some good crack.

Advanced timing should increase responsiveness and power across the powerband. however the timing change affects only open loop operation which is non WOT. This is why you only feel the benefits usually driving around town or at partial throttle. In closed loop operation, the ECU reads from a predetermined table of parameters.

retarding your timing does NOT give you more high end power. I have NO idea where you are getting this information. There is a possibility that if you are getting engine knock at higher RPM's that if you retard the timing it will cause the knock sensor not to go off thus allowing you to continue making power. But in almost all cases that I've observed retarding timing will cause you to lose power in N/A situations.

Maybe you are confusing the issue with FI and NO2 cars which HAVE to retard their timing to deal with the added heat and increased cylinder pressures to avoid detonation. In these cases retarding your timing allows you to turn up the boost or run a larger shot.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:31 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Chinkzilla

Advanced timing should increase responsiveness and power across the powerband. however the timing change affects only open loop operation which is non WOT. This is why you only feel the benefits usually driving around town or at partial throttle. In closed loop operation, the ECU reads from a predetermined table of parameters.

retarding your timing does NOT give you more high end power. I have NO idea where you are getting this information. There is a possibility that if you are getting engine knock at higher RPM's that if you retard the timing it will cause the knock sensor not to go off thus allowing you to continue making power. But in almost all cases that I've observed retarding timing will cause you to lose power in N/A situations.

Maybe you are confusing the issue with FI and NO2 cars which HAVE to retard their timing to deal with the added heat and increased cylinder pressures to avoid detonation. In these cases retarding your timing allows you to turn up the boost or run a larger shot.
i just now received an update in my email on this thread. actually got 115 at once but anyways. chinkzilla just stated everything i would have said and more. i cannot see in any circumstance in which retarding timing would make add power in any part of the band in an NA car.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:32 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=208891
Old 06-28-2004, 05:07 AM

Will advanced timing cause any knocking problems?
Old 06-28-2004, 05:22 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by kcowden
Will advanced timing cause any knocking problems?
if you run low octane it will. you might also get some light knocking on a real hot day with the ac running on certain inclines.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:30 PM

Ok, I have read like 4 or 5 links on this modification...

It seems like it is safe to do OR has someone had problems with this mod??

Also does anybody know of a dealership in Dallas/Fort Worth Area that will perform this mod and how much would they charge?? I tried to explain to some service reps over phone and they did not want to do it...

Thanks for the info...
Old 06-29-2004, 03:49 PM
ABS

Chinkzilla, I'm sorry but I think you inadvertently got this one backwards. Closed loop occurs when the engine is warmed up and at all throttle positions except WOT. Open loop occurs during cold conditions and at WOT and uses a specific fuel map. Also, the discussion is about the benefits of timing ADVANCE not RETARD. Unless I'm misunderstanding you and you're arguing that if you advance the timing and then get high rpm spark knock that the ECU will retard the time to a setting lower than the base timing as a safety measure which could cause a loss of power?
Old 06-29-2004, 11:36 PM

oops

your right about the open/closed loop thing.

The guy said advanced timing gives you more low end, and retarded timing gives you more high end. That's retarded.

I meant to say that if you're already getting predetonation, and you retard your timing you might see some high end gain from your knock sensor NOT going off. get it?

I've seen dyno's of turbo cars that drop off 30-40 whp at like 5000rpm when the knock sensor starts going crazy.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:17 AM

newbie question

I'm in the boat with Morpheous....

The master tech at the local dealer says that this mod cannot be done - specifically you can change the timing all over the place with the Consult II hooked up, but the minute it is unhooked the ECU puts the timing back to factory. What's up?

Also, I was curious about this mod because I get detonation, even with 93 octane. I was interested in retarding my timing one or two degrees to prevent the detonation (hopefully).

What's the deal?
Old 06-30-2004, 04:06 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by burnout
I'm in the boat with Morpheous....

The master tech at the local dealer says that this mod cannot be done - specifically you can change the timing all over the place with the Consult II hooked up, but the minute it is unhooked the ECU puts the timing back to factory. What's up?

Also, I was curious about this mod because I get detonation, even with 93 octane. I was interested in retarding my timing one or two degrees to prevent the detonation (hopefully).

What's the deal?

They are full of it. Timing can be advanced on the Consult II all the way up to 20^ BTDC (for our 2002+ VQ35 powered cars, you have to do the idle air volume learning process to go past 17^ BTDC). I would not suggest running 20^ BTDC on the street, but 17^ BTDC is definitely good
Old 06-30-2004, 04:16 AM

How do I .....

How do I tell them they are full of sh**, without alienating myself. Quicksilver, I have seen several of your posts and responses, you are obviously knowledgeable and understand the timing/spark knock issue.

Can you offer any assistance to this: I've got an 02 with the 3.5 and have always run premium fuel. I still get slight pinging (as I have seen other places on this board) and can't take it anymore.

My car has about 55k on it. The dealer's standard response is to let the computer retard the timing slightly to compensate. My experience is that ANY pinging in NOT a normal operating condition.

I am thinking about taking the car in repeatedly until they get fed up with seeing me and provide some fix. I would even accept retarding the timing slightly and would probably have better performance (since the computer would not be retarding it for me). That is assuming I can get the pingning to stop. I have even run two cans of BG44 through it.

Any suggestions......
Old 06-30-2004, 06:24 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

How do I tell them they are full of sh**, without alienating myself. Quicksilver, I have seen several of your posts and responses, you are obviously knowledgeable and understand the timing/spark knock issue.

Can you offer any assistance to this: I've got an 02 with the 3.5 and have always run premium fuel. I still get slight pinging (as I have seen other places on this board) and can't take it anymore.

My car has about 55k on it. The dealer's standard response is to let the computer retard the timing slightly to compensate. My experience is that ANY pinging in NOT a normal operating condition.

I am thinking about taking the car in repeatedly until they get fed up with seeing me and provide some fix. I would even accept retarding the timing slightly and would probably have better performance (since the computer would not be retarding it for me). That is assuming I can get the pingning to stop. I have even run two cans of BG44 through it.

Any suggestions......
Do you live in an area where the summertime temps get pretty high? If so, then I would say go with one step colder plugs. I had to do it in my truck (have a lot of mods as well, though). Try the simplest things first...
Old 06-30-2004, 12:25 PM

I just got back from my dealer and he said that once he unplugs the consult II the car will automatically go back to 14 degrees.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spin20
I just got back from my dealer and he said that once he unplugs the consult II the car will automatically go back to 14 degrees.

He is wrong.

Read the links about this mod and you'll understand. A Nissan Tech advanced my timing and has told it would stay at 17 degrees. He went as far as to say that even if the battery was disconnected for over 24 hrs, the advanced timing would not change.

This has been tested by orgers getting their timing advanced and then returning to the dealership to check the status with the results being that the advanced timing change remained in place.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:52 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
He is wrong.

Read the links about this mod and you'll understand. A Nissan Tech advanced my timing and has told it would stay at 17 degrees. He went as far as to say that even if the battery was disconnected for over 24 hrs, the advanced timing would not change.

This has been tested by orgers getting their timing advanced and then returning to the dealership to check the status with the results being that the advanced timing change remained in place.
this is correct. i left mine unplugged mine a whole weekend and checked it when i got back. my harrison software recorded it being 17btdc after close to 36 hours of having the negative terminal unplugged.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:58 PM

Ok. You can advance the timing on the car. Make sure the car is warmed up. You may have to do this a couple of times but soon it should stick after a few tries. This was the case with me and a couple of other on the org. The advance would not stick and after a couple of tries it would. This can only be done with the consult II. Plug it in and have it advanced. If you have knock the engine will retard the timing for you. Also. Good luck finding a dealer who is willing to do this. If you do you are lucky. A lot of dealers do not want to do this. I got lucky and after the6th nissan dealership i went to they did it for free for me.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:45 PM
ABS

Any suggestions......
Regarding the pinging at mid-range rpms. Make sure you've got the TSB which upgrades the MAF and the ECM. Also get the TSB for the crank and cam sensors. Since I've had this TSB and Recall performed, the pinging is completely gone.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:13 AM

Tsb?

ABS, is the TSB you are referring to for the MAF and ECU upgrade for the 02? If so can anyone provide a link to a copy of this TSB? Thanks for any help.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:20 AM

where can i get a how-to?
admin please add to how-to sticky after someone responds
Old 07-01-2004, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Do you live in an area where the summertime temps get pretty high? If so, then I would say go with one step colder plugs. I had to do it in my truck (have a lot of mods as well, though). Try the simplest things first...
What make of cold plugs should one get??? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:31 AM

Hey guys, this thread is quite interesting, but I'm wondering where the consult II can be purchase ?

Thank you.

AA
Old 07-01-2004, 07:48 AM

consult II purchase lol... They cost 4 grand. Not cheap. The only places that will have it is nissan dealerships. Its not worth for any shop to buy just the consult to see the nissans ecu.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:54 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by doublea
Hey guys, this thread is quite interesting, but I'm wondering where the consult II can be purchase ?

Thank you.

AA
from nissan for $4000

man, you guys just need the TS ecu for advanced timing and tuned fuel maps
Old 07-01-2004, 08:06 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Fezzik
consult II purchase lol... They cost 4 grand. Not cheap. The only places that will have it is nissan dealerships. Its not worth for any shop to buy just the consult to see the nissans ecu.
make sure to check the yellow pages for nissan/infiniti specialty shops. i found one outside of charlotte that purchased a consult 2 through the dealer. that is how i was able to get mine advanced very easily. blu and i both go ours down there and they allowed us to do it ourselves and didnt charge him anything since he was having another repair and only charged me 20 bucks.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio
from nissan for $4000

man, you guys just need the TS ecu for advanced timing and tuned fuel maps
Ya the TS ecu for 2K1 I hope they release it before I get retired and loose my driver licence. Lol. Seriously any word the release date.

AA
Old 07-01-2004, 08:25 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by doublea
Ya the TS ecu for 2K1 I hope they release it before I get retired and loose my driver licence. Lol. Seriously any word the release date.

AA
the test version is out and the original ECU is on its way back from japan. It should be soon. Come out to cali if you wanna see a teaser