5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I will no longer recommend Hotshot Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

John @ HotShot is stating that there really is no way the headers don't fit. They have not changed the design at all since the first batch. They did say not to bolt everything down securely until all of the pieces were connected.

If there still seems to be a problem HotShot is more than willing to take them back and send a new set out if needed. If the headers have been cut the warranty has been voided, however. Hopefully that answers a couple questions..
Old 07-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Play with my balls

what's the performance gain differences between HS and cattman? also what's the price difference? i don't mind paying more for better, i just want the best with minor issues.

preesh,
p
Old 07-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
John @ HotShot is stating that there really is no way the headers don't fit. They have not changed the design at all since the first batch. They did say not to bolt everything down securely until all of the pieces were connected.

If there still seems to be a problem HotShot is more than willing to take them back and send a new set out if needed. If the headers have been cut the warranty has been voided, however. Hopefully that answers a couple questions..
Steve, by any chance, did you relay the problems and faults SR20DEN listed in this thread? Ya know, just to give HS a better idea of what fitment issues were happening? Cuz speaking for myself and other 5.5 gen owners here who want the HS headers (especially members who will be doing the install themselves) may not want to chance getting them if the problems continue. So far, HCT67 and SR20DEN have experienced the problems.

I find it strange that up until now, members who installed or had their HS headers installed haven't had the same problems.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Wild at Hurt

With all due respect to you, SR20DEN has done a number of installs. He is regarded as the/ one of the most talented guys here. The chance of him being wrong about the fitment differing are next to nil. Anybody who has welded knows that metal/tubing can twist and turn during the process.

I would guess that he leaves the fasteners loose but to stress something that is fairly fragile by cranking the bolts to force it into place could shorten the life of the headers.

Just trying to be constructive. It is almost certainly a real problem and the faster it is dealt with, the better for all involved.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:22 PM
VQ Wizard

Steve,

As I mentioned before this is the third set of their headers I have installed and the fifth set overall. This clearance issue is new but the rest of my complaint list is not. I have no reason whatsoever to make this up. I have the facilities and the proper exerience to do this job correcty. This is why most of the Maxima header installs in the Carolinas are done by me.

Now if Hotshot wishes to pass this off as an installer problem then so be it, it will be noted by the Maxima community. And at the same time I will continue to recommend their competitors headers for purchase. Also, since the afflicted headers are already mounted on the car it is not likely that they will be removed for a replacement unless someone else does it for free or pays me a full install charge to swap them out.

Perhaps you should relay my list directly to Hotshot for them to observe. Many of the things I have listed are requests for improvements that will make the install much easier for future customers and make their product near perfect in my opinion. I think the latter would be a more positive approach to the matter instead of them denying all responsibility and passing the blame elsewhere.

Matthew
Old 07-06-2004, 02:22 PM
I Miss My Maxima

I personally would refuse to do business with any company whose first response to a poorly designed product is "It's the installer's fault, they must have screwed it up." First the Y-pipe issues and now headers,...whatever interest I had in doing any of these mods is mitigated by the constant reports I see on these forums of ****-poor customer service and "blame the customer" attitude.

(edited because of my own stupidity and apparent inability to read!)
Old 07-06-2004, 02:28 PM

Steve,

I purchased one of the first set of HS headers and I do love the power these things make. That being being said, if SR20DEN had come out with his recommendation against them back then, I would not have purchased them. My point is, that this will impact HS sales and subsequently SWA sales. This could be a great product with some minor modifications, so you really need to be a little more aggressive with HS in this matter.

If you need corroborating evidence I suggest you contact Jeff @ Maximum Tuning. While he doesn't post much, he is probably the most respected and knowledgeable installer in New York, and has done several HS header installations. I know when he put my headers on he was not impressed at all with fitment.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:41 PM
VQ Wizard

paralyse: Again, I am the installer, not the customer.

03BlkSETE: I also installed one of the very first sets of Hotshot headers and one the of veryu first sets of Cattman headers. And back then I did give my recomendations and gripe list. But it was just another piece of info that was overlooked. Just as this one will be in a week.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Matt i got about 30-40 feet of that wire to day from work. if you would email a shipping address and i will send it to. My car also gave the SES light to day i reset the ECU and it wnet off i am waiting to see what happens tomorrow. If it comes on agian i was going to see if i could come up there in two week and have you run the codes and i could bring you the wire then if that ok. just let me know and thanks again.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:59 PM

anybody know a good installer in o.c.? maybe l.a. or riverside or sd if i have to but preferably o.c...
Old 07-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
anybody know a good installer in o.c.? maybe l.a. or riverside or sd if i have to but preferably o.c...
you can email my mechanic from my cardomain site... you can see all the work he's done to my car too...

he's in the hacienda heights area...
Old 07-07-2004, 11:31 PM

i will do the install, for 800 bucks =P

It is seriously such a biiatch you can not even imagine. I literally had to FORCE the headers into place with a bottle jack. The thing is banging into all sorts of heat shields. The WELDS are in the way of the nuts so it's very hard to tighten down flared nuts. The hardware they provide is SAE and it's CRAP. The front bank o2 sensor bung is about 1/2 an inch too low so I ended up having to extend the front bank o2 as well. The fitment adjusts from the HEADER and not the Y-PIPE. This makes ZERO sense. The U-bend portion of the y-pipe contacts the oil pan and rattles when it's cold. The flex pipe section is too short and too rigid.

If you have these and they are not installed yet, I recommend you return them for a refund and buy the cattmans instead despite my feelings about that company, or buy OBX when they eventually make a knockoff.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:32 PM

as a side note i have a sneaking suspicion that all they did for the maxima header was repackage the 2k2-2k4 altima header in a box that said 'maxima'
Old 07-07-2004, 11:46 PM
VQ Wizard

Well there is another dissatisfied HS customer that finally came forward.
We're waiting for a better response from HS, Steve. Have you heard anything else?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by Chinkzilla
... buy the cattmans instead despite my feelings about that company...
what feelings and why?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:07 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

I know Honda Eatrs mechanic, and no matter how good he is, it wont matter. I am a pro on any 5 liter mustang. If you bring me crappy bent headers, it will take me the whole day to get them to fit your 302.....if I can even get them to fit. SR20- Matt, is not some rookie talking bull excrement . He knows what he is doing. If Hotshot wants to produce a BS product, its time for them to go on the same list as Stealin.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:17 AM

this is depressing. hopefully maybe in a year someone will perfect it
Old 07-08-2004, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
5. Rotate the bank2 three bolt flange 30º clockwise so that it's orientation matches that of the stock setup. This is will provide much easier access to all three bolts and there is plenty of room to do so.
6. Rotate the bank1 three bolt flange 15º counterclockwise for bolt access issues.
7. Stop oversizing the head flange holes for fitment adjustments. If the Y pipe does not fit right it should be fixed. You shouldn't band aid something else to cover up a bad design or bad production.
8. Provide head stud shims for fastener clearance. Often times the OE nuts interfere with the primary tube welds.
Hey, not a flame but with #7 are you referring to the holes that go over the studs that are too large? They are made that way so as the header heats up the metal can expand without shearing off the studs. If the holes in the header were exact fit it will expand the length of the header and pop them all off. So not sure on that one.

Do you think the headers add to the hp gains by themselves or is it because of the y-pipe attached to them that is making the majority of the gains.

I have a warpspeed y on a 2k1 auto. and if I put headers on would I only get about 7-8 hp, or 15-20 on top of my y-pipe gains?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:54 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by VQ30GTR
Hey, not a flame but with #7 are you referring to the holes that go over the studs that are too large? They are made that way so as the header heats up the metal can expand without shearing off the studs. If the holes in the header were exact fit it will expand the length of the header and pop them all off. So not sure on that one.

Do you think the headers add to the hp gains by themselves or is it because of the y-pipe attached to them that is making the majority of the gains.

Thanks!
Actually for #7 all the holes except one on the header flange is too large because HS wanted adjustability for the headers to fit the y-pipe sections. Which is retarded because you risk not having the exhaust ports lined up directly to the header and it should be the other way around (y-pipe adjusts to the header, not header to the y-pipe)

headers hp gains for the 2k2 is in the manifolds because the precats are built into the stock manifolds but also cause the y-pipe portion is equal length, unlike stillens which looks like an extended y-pipe
Old 07-08-2004, 11:04 AM
I miss the .org!

Originally Posted by Chinkzilla
The fitment adjusts from the HEADER and not the Y-PIPE. This makes ZERO sense. The U-bend portion of the y-pipe contacts the oil pan and rattles when it's cold. The flex pipe section is too short and too rigid.
This I really don't like...
Old 07-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Larrio
Actually for #7 all the holes except one on the header flange is too large because HS wanted adjustability for the headers to fit the y-pipe sections. Which is retarded because you risk not having the exhaust ports lined up directly to the header and it should be the other way around (y-pipe adjusts to the header, not header to the y-pipe)

Hi
Just want to clear some things up here. First, the headers we designed for the maxima fit, in the fixture and on the car. I designed them on the car, and built the fixtures for them. I personally have not run into any of the problems posted here, otherwise the headers would not be sold, believe me. They take WAY too long to install to not be a perfect fit.

However, we are currently in the process of finding a donor car to to a ground up install so it can be documented with photos, video, etc which will be included on the web site for detailed install. instructions. I have also read your "list" and will see what changes can be implemented when we have the car on our lift. Since we do our own R&D, and manufacturing, it's not too hard to make these changes before the next production run.

As for the flanges, they were drawn up for our CNC machines from the factory gaskets, and use the same oversized holes as the gaskets, they were not drilled larger for any adjustment or alignment purposes. The only problem I am aware of is that the nut/washer sometimes runs into the weld, something that we are fixing on the next batch of headers by including special nuts and spacers.

Thanks for the feedback

John
Hotshot Performance, Inc.

PS If you have any questions, comments, etc. I can be reached at hsperf@earthlink.net.

Thanks Again.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Hotshot
Hi
Just want to clear some things up here. First, the headers we designed for the maxima fit, in the fixture and on the car. I designed them on the car, and built the fixtures for them. I personally have not run into any of the problems posted here, otherwise the headers would not be sold, believe me. They take WAY too long to install to not be a perfect fit.

However, we are currently in the process of finding a donor car to to a ground up install so it can be documented with photos, video, etc which will be included on the web site for detailed install. instructions. I have also read your "list" and will see what changes can be implemented when we have the car on our lift. Since we do our own R&D, and manufacturing, it's not too hard to make these changes before the next production run.

As for the flanges, they were drawn up for our CNC machines from the factory gaskets, and use the same oversized holes as the gaskets, they were not drilled larger for any adjustment or alignment purposes. The only problem I am aware of is that the nut/washer sometimes runs into the weld, something that we are fixing on the next batch of headers by including special nuts and spacers.

Thanks for the feedback

John

PS If you have any questions, comments, etc. I can be reached at hsperf@earthlink.net.

Thanks Again.
Welcome to the org and thanks for taking time to come here and discuss some issues we have found about your product. This doesn't happen much

The main issue I see is if the headers were fitted and designed on the car then why in the world would you have the front bank 02 bung in the location you do? It has to be extended and the angle comes within centimeters from touching the AC line. Also I would recommend used a larger flex section in which I will be replacing although I will lose my warranty and it will cost me extra money, I just can't stand the annoying vibrations and bees in a can noise from the tiny flex that is not very flexible. As far as the nut sometimes running into the weld, I believe that would be all the time on every set installed. I'll post a pic later of the incorrect 02 bung location.

Matt
Old 07-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
If they were fitted and designed on the car then why in the world would you have the front bank 02 bung in the location you do? It has to be extended and the angle comes within centimeters from touching the AC line. Also I would recommend used a larger flex section in which I will be replacing although I will lose my warranty and it will cost me extra money, I just can't stand the annoying vibrations from the tiny flex that is not very flexible. As far as the nut sometimes running into the weld, I believe that would be all the time on every set installed. I'll post a pic later of the 02 crappy location.

Matt
yeah the least you could do for US current owners is send us a new y-pipe in exchange for ours with a larger better quality flex section as well as a thicker cat flange....let me know my e-mail is cubanato69@aol.com
-J
Old 07-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I'd like to *ASK* everyone to *PLEASE* keep this civil and to the point.

John doesn't have ALL DAY to sit and reply, so lets leave this to those like SR, Blu, Chin, etc. who have the knowledge/experience to make PROGRESS here on helping John improve the design. It is rare we get such a reply from a reputable company that actually makes parts for our cars, so don't scare John away.

Thanks~!
Old 07-08-2004, 01:37 PM
I miss the .org!

I, for one, am very happy to see them posting on here. I am also hoping they hustle to get the problems fixed and produce a new batch, so people like me can pick one up ASAP...
Old 07-08-2004, 01:47 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I'd like to *ASK* everyone to *PLEASE* keep this civil and to the point.

John doesn't have ALL DAY to sit and reply, so lets leave this to those like SR, Blu, Chin, etc. who have the knowledge/experience to make PROGRESS here on helping John improve the design. It is rare we get such a reply from a reputable company that actually makes parts for our cars, so don't scare John away.

Thanks~!
I totally agree. And I hope everyone else chooses to follow this rule and I hope I have set a good example thus far. It is refreshing to actually see someone from HS reply to this thread. That deserves plenty of credit in my book.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

SR,

Can you try and take this offline to his suggested email-->hsperf@earthlink.net?

I have a feeling he doesn't want all this air'd out here, so just keep us posted if you don't mind.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:53 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by Hotshot

Thanks for the feedback

John

Thanks Again.
That seems odd to me because all of the OEM Nissan header gaskets I have seen have holes that are a near perfect fit to match the header studs. And once the gaskets are on they have no room to be adjusted but these headers do. Every set I have seen seems to have one single properly sized hole in the center and all of the other holes are a much larger diameter. It appears as if it was done as a band aid. Perhaps when you do the groups install you may choose to randomly pull stock from the floor that has already been packaged for shipping. Because it appears to me that some post production mods may have been made to these things that were not part of the original design criteria.

Also, I would be willing to contact you by phone if you wish to verbally discuss some of this.

Matthew
Old 07-08-2004, 01:55 PM
VQ Wizard

SR,

Can you try and take this offline to his suggested email-->hsperf@earthlink.net?

I have a feeling he doesn't want all this air'd out here, so just keep us posted if you don't mind.
Yes I will cease airing the details if they wish simply because he was kind enough to come here and publicly respond.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

SR,

yes... and i e-mailed him already as welll about my concerns

sr20den... let me know about any updates he gives you
thanx
-J
Old 07-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
That seems odd to me because all of the OEM Nissan header gaskets I have seen have holes that are a near perfect fit to match the header studs. And once the gaskets are on they have no room to be adjusted but these headers do. Every set I have seen seems to have one single properly sized hole in the center and all of the other holes are a much larger diameter. It appears as if it was done as a band aid. Perhaps when you do the groups install you may choose to randomly pull stock from the floor that has already been packaged for shipping. Because it appears to me that some post production mods may have been made to these things that were not part of the original design criteria.

Also, I would be willing to contact you by phone if you wish to verbally discuss some of this.

Matthew
Hi
Actually that was exactly what we were going to do, just to verify that nothing has changed between proto and production. As for the flange, we should be able to change the pattern to more closely match the actual head. That's why we keep everything we do in house, makes changes easier to implement.

If you'd like to give me a call, (626) 303-0076, we can discuss these issues, and get everyone happy.

Thanks

John
Hotshot

PS The flex pipe we use is the BEST available (Full Stainless construction, dual liner, NOT made in China) and have had VERY good luck with them. The length of the flex is integral to the design of the header, and cannot be changed after production without creating more problems that it will solve. Unfortunately by using the required 2 1/2" ID flex tube, it has about a 3 1/4" OD that gets close to stuff. It's either tuck it up under the car, and deal with the occasional rattle, or let it hang down and get wiped out on a speed bump or an off-road trip. I always try to tuck 'em up .

Thanks
Old 07-10-2004, 06:35 AM

John,

I think we all appreciate you taking the time to work with us as some of the prior posts were scaring me away from purchasing Hotshot headers. I think if you work with us and fix some of the problems that installers have encountered you will see allot more sales from the maxima community. Once again, thank you!

Mike
Old 07-10-2004, 10:12 AM

I am so on the verge of buying...
Old 07-10-2004, 11:11 AM

John (Hotshot)

Thank for coming to the org and addressing our concerns. It is appreciated.

Joe
Old 09-10-2004, 01:27 PM

So do these things fit better now?
Old 09-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I Love my Cattman Headers and cattman catback......And the help I got from Brian Catts was great. the perfomance increase is awesome, the sound is phenomenal, and the install went smooth. Worth every penny.

If anyone that is serious would like to talk to me more, send me a PM and I'll give you my cell number.

Trex
Old 09-10-2004, 02:36 PM

Um... wrong thread?

Or possibly