5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

few questions - dealer, tint, wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:17 AM

few questions - dealer, tint, wheel controls

ok...I have a 01 SE that I may have to take to the dealer if noone can figure out how to fix this stupid screeching noise when I turn right...Im going back to goodyear one more time and see if they can...I have added a tranny cooler and Im just positive nissan is going to tell me thats what messed everything up...Also, Im getting bumps on the floorboard of the driver side when I drive (happens after 30mph) which i was told was drivetrain/transmission...the screeching noise seriously has to do something with the wheel...

I heard that you can now tint your windows as dark as you want, has anyone else heard this...if so, what does everyone think of the mirror tint?

Is there a way to get the steering wheel controls to do more? I would like to be able to cycle through the bass/treb/fade/bal and also to rew/ffw but they dont let you do that...has anyone added more controls, say to the top of the center piece...I was just thinking, hell if you could add like something to control the a/c you would never have to take your hands off the steering wheel...im just thinking about convenience...i know, sounds stupid, just something I thought of asking...

TIA
Old 07-09-2004, 06:26 AM

Does it happen while you are turning or when it is completly turned...If you turn your wheel to the end and if you hear a screeching noise when the car is moving ( parking lot speed), then i think its the ball joint...other than that I need more info from you
Old 07-09-2004, 06:29 AM

well, like lets say I was in a cul-de-sac...if I go around the cds following it completely around...ie not using only half of the cds...and doing about 20-25 mph, itll make the noise all day long.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:24 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

I have heard the same thing about the tint.
I was told in PA they can not fail your car for inspection becasue of window tint.
I just got my tint 15% all around.......it's friggin dark.

I don't know how accurate my source is but,
I know the cops don't like it.
When I pass them I see them eyeballin me.

In PA you have to get inspected once a year, mine is not until december, I'll find out then if it's true or not.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:51 PM

bumping up
Old 07-11-2004, 08:59 PM

any other ideas on the squeaking? Also, when stationary (not moving) and turning the wheel left, you get some groan and the wheel gets harder to turn, but if you turn right, you can turn the wheel all the way until it like hits a wall and stops - no groaning...I think its supposed to groan, but I dunno.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Wild at Hurt

The power steering pump is under the most load when you turn the wheel going slow or you are stationary. Are you sure it is not belt tension? If the pump pulley was not turning that would also make the wheel hard to turn, A loose belt causes screeching. The groan is common to steering pumps.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:53 PM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksen
I have heard the same thing about the tint.
I was told in PA they can not fail your car for inspection becasue of window tint.
I just got my tint 15% all around.......it's friggin dark.

I don't know how accurate my source is but,
I know the cops don't like it.
When I pass them I see them eyeballin me.

In PA you have to get inspected once a year, mine is not until december, I'll find out then if it's true or not.

***update I just failed inspection because of 5% tint on my rear window***
I argue with the inspector so he called a state trooper and confirmed it was illegal*** I live in PA