5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

System question....please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

System question....please help.

Hi,

I have the following installed in my 2000 Nissan Maxima:

Rockford RFX9420
Rockford 8004 AMP
3 8 JL Subs
RFX 8810 CD Changer
I have an Audio cable running from the 9420 aux1 for my ipod.

My problem is I have a whining noise coming from the right speaker when I driving with the Air Conditioner or I have my head lights on. It goes up when accelerating or down when decelarating. The place that installed Rockford 8004 AMP, Qty 3 8 inch JL Subs also rewired ********** when they installed them. It's not as bad as it was before I had an Rockford 400.4 installed but it's annoying.

I took it to another place and they checked ********** but could not resolve it. They did the basic troubleshooting that you would do to troubleshoot this problem. They also tried a noise suppresor but it didn't help. They said the wiring was done correctly. They thought it was the amp. The other company that did the install told me it was the radio. Well, I took it to the place that did the original install. They put a Rockford DVD1 in and it didn't do the whining noise. They told me it was because the Rockford 9420 uses an 8 pre out (hopefully that makes sense) compare to the DVD 1 was lower.

I also emailed Rockford, listed below is there response:

Thank you for your inquiry with us. Its not the deck causing this Because of the less voltage your amplifiers wont be producing as much output so your sound is still there its just lower. This can also be done by turning the gains down on the amplifier and keeping your 9420 on it. You may want to remove the rca's out of the amplifier and see if you still have this problem and let us know so we can figure out where to look.

I did try what they asked but it did the same thing. I also posted in the audio forum but I thought I might get more responses from this forum.

Is there a resolution to this or do I have to go to a lower end radio to resolve this issue. Any information you have would be helpful.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:11 PM

Like they said, it could be a number of possibilities of getting noise. The most common is a bad ground somewhere such as the amp. Or, the speaker wire is too close to the RCA's. To avoid noise in a sound system, it's best to run the main power wire to all amps down the same side where the battery is installed. Then, the signal wires and speaker wires should run on the opposite side (trying to avoid crossing the wires which can pick up some noise). Turning the gains down on the amplifier is another possibility. I'm not sure how your sytem is wired up, but this a start. You may be better off posting this thread in the audio forum to get better responses.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for your reponse. ********** you mentioned has been checked from the 2nd place I took it to. They checked all that and said ********** was run correctly. The battery in the maxima is in the left front. The amp is underneath the passenger side seat. Do you think that should make a difference? Thank you for the information.