5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Air bag warning light - flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 03:16 PM

Air bag warning light - flashing

I've owned my Max for 3 months now and experienced my first problem with it.

Today my Air Bag warning light started flashing while I was driving. The light continues to flash and will not stop until the car is turned off. I turned the car off and started it back up but the light continues to flash.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?
Is this something only a dealership can or should repair?
Any idea of how costly this repair might be?

Any ideas and comments would be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Midwestride
I've owned my Max for 3 months now and experienced my first problem with it.

Today my Air Bag warning light started flashing while I was driving. The light continues to flash and will not stop until the car is turned off. I turned the car off and started it back up but the light continues to flash.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?
Is this something only a dealership can or should repair?
Any idea of how costly this repair might be?

Any ideas and comments would be appreciated.

well, you have asked a mouth full. generally this problem was prone to happen on the late model 4th gens, but every once and a while it happens to the 5th gens. what ever the problem may be, it will be costly to fix. some main causes:

best senerio... the plug got unpluged from the airbag senson/brain, and it is throwing a light. very simple fix, plug back in. also, on the plugs may be dirty, so clean them out and plug back in... see if that helps.

now for the bad stuff, on my 98 maxima, the rear passenger's side air bag control modual went dead, it the dealer wanted i think $400 to replace it. i could find much cheaper either. or it could be a defective air bag it's self. too many posibilitys. best thing to do is take it to your dealship and have them put on computer, or take it to a good mechanic.

on a side note, your not in danger if the light is on, it is not like they will randomly just pop out at you, but just do not hit anything.

i hope this helps.

-Chris