5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dirty headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 07:03 AM

Dirty headlights...

my car has dirty looking headlights...not full of dirts..i think it looks misty, is that the water vapor? how can i clean those? can I also use sand paper or other matrial to brush my headlight's plastic cover? they are full of little scratches.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Cletus

use 3M plastic cleaner and polish
Old 07-23-2004, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
use 3M plastic cleaner and polish
thx..but how about inside's vapor or condensation?
Old 07-23-2004, 08:52 AM

After being on your car for 5 years, it's normal for your headlights to cloud up on the inside. It happens to everyone. They really need to be taken care of since new.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Maximadmoiselle
After being on your car for 5 years, it's normal for your headlights to cloud up on the inside. It happens to everyone. They really need to be taken care of since new.
well..I have had my car not even 2 months...used car..former owner was a woman who never cleaned the car. i spent whole day washed carpet and windows...anyway...how I clean the cloudy stuff? thx
Old 07-23-2004, 12:26 PM

I think it's on the inside.. the car gets it from staying in the sun which dries the plastic, so it's inevitable. You can't make them less yellow, so just change them. Like a lot of people will tell you, get the HIDs or projectors, or the AE ones. And when you wax the car, put some on the headlamps too. It will protect them more or less.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:46 AM

headlight film

Originally Posted by Bl_asd
well..I have had my car not even 2 months...used car..former owner was a woman who never cleaned the car. i spent whole day washed carpet and windows...anyway...how I clean the cloudy stuff? thx
Bl_asd, I know exactly what you are talking about. It is a film on the inside of the headlight that is seen most at night when the lights are on. It is a bothersome thing.

I am going to try that 3M stuff and if that does not work I am opening those puppies up and cleaning the inside. Might as well paint them while I am in there.

Chris
Old 07-24-2004, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by @NgRyM@XiM@
Bl_asd, I know exactly what you are talking about. It is a film on the inside of the headlight that is seen most at night when the lights are on. It is a bothersome thing.

I am going to try that 3M stuff and if that does not work I am opening those puppies up and cleaning the inside. Might as well paint them while I am in there.

Chris
actually...i'm not gonna bother those stuff anymore...i'll just get projectors...i have ordered extrem white clear light for the blinker and also backup light..next thing is projector, and i'll take care of this car..i hate former owner...
Old 07-24-2004, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bl_asd
actually...i'm not gonna bother those stuff anymore...i'll just get projectors...i have ordered extrem white clear light for the blinker and also backup light..next thing is projector, and i'll take care of this car..i hate former owner...

Hmmm, that is a little strong and juvenile to say that you hate the former owner. Why would you hate that person when you had a choice to not buy the vehicle huh? Just accept what you have and take care of it from this point forward.

And fyi, I bought my car used, it was repo'd from the previous owner who did not take care of it. It was also in an accident which BS carfax did not pick up BUT I am not complaining!

Old 07-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Wild at Hurt

more info here

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....adlight+polish
Old 07-24-2004, 10:06 AM
† ErV †

Or just use some good wax.

Old 07-24-2004, 11:59 AM
I Miss My Maxima

I've had great success with mine by buffing with Meguiar's ScratchX then polishing with Gold Class, it keeps them looking like new. Time to do mine again though, when it cools off a bit, and I get a new buffer.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:39 PM
mjg

i think buying anew set is a bit extreme.

There are all kinds of plastic and acrylic polishes you can try. Opening them up and cleaning inside isn't a terrible idea either.

I wouldn't just dump an $800 set of HIDS to go with some cheap ugly projectors. If you didn't have insurance cover them, and they were jacked, that's another story.

edit: i just found out xpel makes a lense protector, this might help as well maybe?
Old 07-24-2004, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by mjg
i think buying anew set is a bit extreme.

There are all kinds of plastic and acrylic polishes you can try. Opening them up and cleaning inside isn't a terrible idea either.

I wouldn't just dump an $800 set of HIDS to go with some cheap ugly projectors. If you didn't have insurance cover them, and they were jacked, that's another story.

edit: i just found out xpel makes a lense protector, this might help as well maybe?
oh no...my car is 2000......i got crappy lights..not HID.....I wish those were HID...