5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed Blehmco Kit... Question about pedal travel...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Got Bent?

Pedal Engagement with Z Calipers...

So I finally got around to installing Z calipers and 2k4 maxima rotors along with the Blehmco hardware kit. I bled the brakes a bunch of times but the pedal still engages close to the floor. The car stops, but it just doesn't feel right. Now I know that these are new pads and rotors plus 4 piston calipers vs the stock ones... but I guess I don't know exactly how much difference in pedal engagement there should be. I bled the brakes wrong at first since my helper was pushing the pedal to the floor when I loosened the bleeder screw. I rebled them after that the correct way by only having the pedal pushed in half way as I unscrewed the bleeder screw... I also unplugged the battery before bleeding. So what are the chances the master cylinder is damaged? I guess there might still be air in the lines... I guess I can rebleed them tomorrow with a vacuum bleeder instead... But I just wanted to know where the pedal engagement should be with these calipers...

Thanks!

BTW, the passenger side flare nut on the brake line was rounded off and I couldnt get it off... so I used the SS hose line that was there already. I know the Z caliper doesn't use a banjo bolt, but until I figure out how to get the flare nut off... I don't know what to do...
Old 07-24-2004, 06:43 PM
Got Bent?

OK I am a complete dumba$$... arghhhh.... what was I thinking today.

Turns out I installed the calipers on the wrong sides... passenger on drivers side and vice-versa... no wonder... The bleeder valve has to be at the topmost point on the caliper for the air to be removed completely... damn... I just stared at the thing for 5 minutes now and figured it out. Anyhow, I will swap them tomorrow morning and I am sure that will help with the air in the system for sure. bad day for me
Old 07-24-2004, 06:54 PM
imported_JIC_A33

ijust wish the Blehmco kit fit on the 02+ maximas. glad u got it all set

Old 07-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

blhemco fits on 02+ maximas.........

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH oh man...thats a waste of a day
Old 07-25-2004, 09:07 AM
Got Bent?

ok... I think I fixed everything. I swapped the calipers and bled the brakes this morning. It's funny how fast you can do things the second time around ... only took 2 hours including jacking the car and removing the wheels. Anyhow, the brakes feel just fine now. Brake pedal engages normally. I took it for a spin and the pedal got firmer and firmer... brakes feel great. They are a little rough still, but that will go away when the pads completely bed... I am using Axxis MM pads and slotted Irotors for the 2k4 maxima. I haven't laid into the brakes yet, but from what I can tell, they feel great. There is a slight increase in pedal travel, but not a big deal at all. Once the pedal engages though, it is firm. I think I will bleed the brakes again after a few hundred miles just to be thorough...

The only thing not 'right' is the passenger side brake line... I am using the goodridge SS line for the maxima, which has a banjo bolt fitting... until I can figure out a way to deal with the rounded off flare nut on the hard line, I will have to keep an eye on that fitting to make sure it doesn't move around and come loose. Other than that, and my stupidity yesterday, everything went pretty smooth
Old 07-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Glad it all worked out for ya. I had a few tweaks I had to do once my install happened and I agree...its amazing how quick you can rip it apart, fix the problem and put it all back together.

It nice to hear that you had a good pedal but as time went by it got much firmer. I used ATE Super Blue.

I am watchin his BBK for the rear...but the "soft" pedal he described has me a tad worried.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Got Bent?

I think I still might need to grease up the caliper pins a bit... I think the pads might be sticking on occasion... nothing major though. No wierd noises or clunks at all. I used a new hardware shim kit along with the PBC grease... nasty stuff.

I took on the highway and man... what a blast. High speed braking is amazing. I haven't done anything over 65-70mph, but it is a major improvement over the x-drilled Brembos and stock calipers I had before. I am so tempted to push the brakes, but until I put a few hundred miles on them, it will have to wait.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:48 PM

:thumbup:

(:
Old 07-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Colonel
Glad it all worked out for ya. I had a few tweaks I had to do once my install happened and I agree...its amazing how quick you can rip it apart, fix the problem and put it all back together.

It nice to hear that you had a good pedal but as time went by it got much firmer. I used ATE Super Blue.

I am watchin his BBK for the rear...but the "soft" pedal he described has me a tad worried.
How much were the slotted Irotors for the 2k4 Maxima?
Old 07-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Got Bent?

I think I got the Group Deal price on them... $159 shipped just for the front rotors... I didn't touch the rear brakes except to bleed them... I have x-drilled brembos, SS lines, and Axxis MM pads on the rear.