5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Window Tint Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004 | 05:53 AM

Window Tint Removal

I got 35% (legal limit in MA) all around even tho the tint guy suggested I do 20% on back window and 35% elsewhere bc it gives the appearance of darker windows all around by letting in less light through the back but I was worried bout bein stopped for it even tho he made two valid points

1. Most cops dont' have new meter to test window without rolling it down (which you can't roll down back window obviously)

2. All SUV's have 20% or darker in back as factory so it doesn't look out of place on the road.

Now i want to change to 20 on back but they won't do it bc they won't take off the tint, saying it will mess up the radio and heat antenna stuff . . . he said if i REALLY wanna do it and promise not to complain if they do mess somethin up that they will...ANY OPINIONS OR EXPERIENCE WITH THIS????
Old 08-02-2004 | 06:21 AM
It's chrome alright...

Opinion? Leave it, because if they don't screw up the antenna/heater lines taking off the 35% to put on the 20%, then they'll definitely screw them up when you get a fix-it ticket and have to take off the 20% to be legal again.

Just keep the 35% and move on to the next mod.
Old 08-02-2004 | 07:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I remember correctly, when talking to my tint guy when I had my whole car stripped and retinted, he said it was a mixture of water and baby powder. Now, as far as the ratio....I have no idea. He said that you spray it on and let it bake in the sun and then it is real easy to get off.
Old 08-02-2004 | 02:09 PM

tint removal kit for 10$ owns you
Old 08-02-2004 | 02:28 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Bull$hit. If you are careful you will not mess-up the defogger/antenna I took off the tint last week. I used the ammonia method on the driver’s side. It stank and heating the windows made it very stick / slimy. After I pulled off the tint, I had to use blades to take off the sticky stuff, which mind you was all over the windows. For pass side, I did not use anything. Slowly pulled off the tint and it not only came off, but only left 10% of the sticky stuff, which I removed by blades. The rear took 2 hours. At first I used a blade between the de-fogger. After about 15 minutes, I pulled off the whole tint. Which left behind crazy ar$e glue stuff. I sprayed the window with eagle 1 glass cleaner and used 0000 wool pads. yes it was very uncomfortable and I have blisters from the wool pads rubbing my fingers. But it did not hurt any of the lines and I saved 120 bucks..

And do not use alcohol. It will just smear the sticky stuff all over the window.

trust me do it my way. I searched on google and ppl were recommending using baby powder, ammonia, wd-40, alcohol, clean green, sand, bleach. If you can get a steamer. That will make it easier also...

Or pay me and I will do it for you
Old 08-02-2004 | 03:04 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by otakueric
tint removal kit for 10$ owns you
and what does that kit promise? have you used it?
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:42 PM

yea, its a razor blade holder, and supplied razor blades, the film remover spray, the film remover applicator

hmm thats about it off the top of my head
but drivers side took 20minutes.
Old 08-02-2004 | 11:58 PM

ski ski ski.....just leave it 35%....if you change to 20% you have a chance of some azzhole cop pulling you over......I know your grandpa was a cop but who cares....you'll get a ticket....

SUVs can't get in trouble for FACTORY tint cause it's FACTORY
Old 08-03-2004 | 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by dba1999us
yes it was very uncomfortable and I have blisters from the wool pads rubbing my fingers. But it did not hurt any of the lines and I saved 120 bucks..
My tint shop removes tint for extra $35, and they do a sweet job. Only problem with them is that they won't go below legal.
Old 08-03-2004 | 01:55 AM

I think your tint looks fine.. but if you want to go illegal, why not travel a bit to a shop that will do it?

Originally Posted by Maximadmoiselle
My tint shop removes tint for extra $35, and they do a sweet job. Only problem with them is that they won't go below legal.
Old 08-03-2004 | 02:01 AM

Problem is, they do pull over for dark tint over here. Especially down on Miami Beach. Now, I would never think driving my Max down the strip, but still... I've had too much trouble with the cops already, no need for more. It was my dad who decided on the tint some time ago, had that been me, I don't think I would have chickened out. The reason why I want to get it retinted is because I want titanium tint and I want front and rear to be equal, preferably below 10%.. but there I go dreaming again
Old 08-03-2004 | 02:04 AM

If you can get a doctors note youll be able to get dark tints......

Problem is, they do pull over for dark tint over here. Especially down on Miami Beach. Now, I would never think driving my Max down the strip, but still... I've had too much trouble with the cops already, no need for more. It was my dad who decided on the tint some time ago, had that been me, I don't think I would have chickened out. The reason why I want to get it retinted is because I want titanium tint and I want front and rear to be equal, preferably below 10%.. but there I go dreaming again
Old 08-03-2004 | 02:05 AM

Really, what's the deal with that? What should it say?
Old 08-03-2004 | 02:08 AM

Well, I read this on a thread a while back.. A member suggested going to an eye doctor and telling him that you drive alot and the sun has a terrible effect on your eyes... He may recommend some tints... That may work.. but if you have connections, you can just get some doctor to write it for you. And with that note, if you get pulled over, you can show that you have a note from the doctor.. and you wont get a ticket..

Really, what's the deal with that? What should it say?
Old 08-03-2004 | 02:19 AM

Haha, I'd have to bribe the doctor to prescribe me limo tint or something. This may or may not work, but it's worth a try. I'm not really crazy about getting new tint, but I get really jealous when I see someone with darker than mine. There's too much other stuff I need to get for the Max anyway, need to get the tint out of my head.
Old 08-03-2004 | 05:53 AM
Mauja He Mauja

a dermatologist note would be best. your skin is sensitive,,blah blah blah..or say you are a vampire, try that one
Old 08-03-2004 | 10:55 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

Kruppa,

Your tints look nice. I would leave it alone as long as the tint itself has been applied correctly, no air bubbles or dirt underneath.
The Max is a classy looking car and a slight tint only enhances the look.

I tinted too dark 5% back and 15% on the sides. At first I liked it but now, after some time has passed, I think I ruined the look of my car. In my opinion It looks like a POS ghetto cruiser from Philly.

Trust me your car looks sweet the way it is.
Old 08-03-2004 | 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by miksen
I tinted too dark 5% back and 15% on the sides. At first I liked it but now, after some time has passed, I think I ruined the look of my car. In my opinion It looks like a POS ghetto cruiser from Philly.
Oh poor thing, don't talk like that about your car! I think it's lovely. Is it pure black/limo tint or what? It's that men usually look at the other side of the story like when you say it looks like a ghetto cruiser. But to me personally dark tint the sexiest thing there is on a car. It's true, lighter colors don't tolerate really dark tint, but that's why you have titanium, platinum, etc. to offset that a bit. I still think your Max looks lovely and can only wish mine were this dark
Old 08-03-2004 | 11:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dba1999us
..or say you are a vampire, try that one

haha lol , yo dude, u crack me up man..
Old 08-03-2004 | 01:34 PM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

Oh poor thing, don't talk like that about your car! I think it's lovely. Is it pure black/limo tint or what?
Yeah, I know I shouldn't talk bad about my car. I still love my Max but my preference would have been a few shades lighter that's all.
Thank yoiu for the kind words though...
Old 08-03-2004 | 03:18 PM
Mauja He Mauja

i wanna see a pic of a max with titanium tint..anyone ???