5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FSTB question..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 01:47 PM

FSTB advice.. need some help guys

ok if i get the front strut tower bar.. and that would be my only modification for suspension.. would i be happy with the results or at least be able to notice any

I would prob get a cheap one off of Ebay for like 25$ shipped

link..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591

or should i just save up a bit and get the RSB... but im kinda worried about the whole drifting the tail end out.. cause i go around a lot of turns fast and swinging the tail out wouldnt be much fun.. ( it is in my dads BMW, but different story)

So FSTB or should i just shut the hell up about the concern with the RSB. And will the 25$ FSTB do anything?

any help is Awsome!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:23 PM
retired moderator

no, you will not be happy with it. It makes a minimal difference in overall handling...the only time you notice it is during high speed turning, and only a little then.....

get the RSB - it is well worth it and you can get a Cattman/Addco/Progress one for around $100...its not that expensive. I'm not sure where the "drifting the tail" comes in...RSB was my first mod and I've never lost the tail driving aggressively. You just need to slightly change your cornering style to compensate....but believe me, the RSB makes a HUGE difference in making the max handle better and sit flatter through turns.....you should have no "drifting the tail end out" if you have decent tires (READ: Not Potenzas)...
Old 08-19-2004, 02:40 PM

ok well if anyone could give me a link to a 100 dollar RSB.. that would be great, i cant seem to find any all the ones i see are around 200 so fill me in please
Old 08-19-2004, 02:45 PM

to bad that isnt you in the picture tho .. that chick is hot ( i know your a guy tho. so that wasnt ment in a homo way)
Old 08-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Got Projectors?

Go ahead and get the FSTB. It's cheap and easy to install. No, it won't make your car handle like a go-kart but it'll feel a little more solid during lane changes on the interstate and whatnot.

Pick up the RSB if and when you can too. I bought one that's sitting in my dining room at the moment until I have some time to install it.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by I30swimmer
to bad that isnt you in the picture tho .. that chick is hot ( i know your a guy tho. so that wasnt ment in a homo way)
LOL! That's Irish in drag, didn't you know?

Not to disagree with you too much, Irish, but I noticed a big difference when I added my FSTB. The steering response was sharper, self centering was better and the front end just feels more planted. Less understeer, too. I had the RSB for a while, but didn't care for it. It seemed to make the rear want to step out a bit more abruptly than without it. Just my .02.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:24 PM

so basically do you think the 25 dollar bar would do anything.. ?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591
Old 08-19-2004, 03:28 PM

so basically do you think the 25 dollar bar would do anything.. ?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591
They're pretty much all the same. I bought the Otto because I knew it would fit and it looks cool. For $25, you're certainly not going to hurt anything and if you drive like I do, you'll definitely notice a difference!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:33 PM

i thought that chick is his wife....HEY Irish is she ur wife?.. she's really hot...and a mature woman

Old 08-19-2004, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bl_asd
i thought that chick is his wife....HEY Irish is she ur wife?.. she's really hot...and a mature woman
No, it's not his wife, but I have it on good authority that she's pretty hot, too. Mature woman? WTF?
Old 08-19-2004, 03:42 PM

well its either 25 dollars for the Fstb or 100 for Rsb.. i just want some new feel to the car.. its getting old "like i drive it a lot".. and a new feel to the car would be nice..
Old 08-19-2004, 03:43 PM

yeah wtf with the mature woman thing?

but FSTB and RSB are the topic
Old 08-19-2004, 03:50 PM
retired moderator

if you wanna see more of that chick, go to www.emptyspiral.net - she's the lead singer of a band. She does look alot like my wife though.....

as to FSTB Kirzan, maybe I didn't notice the difference much since I already had a RSB and LTB on.....I know the FSTB does something...but it does $25 worth of something A RSB does $100-200 of something, proportionally!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:57 PM

still no help.. i really want to know if i should get the RSB now.. or wait and wait and wait and save for the RSB
Old 08-19-2004, 04:01 PM
retired moderator

get the RSB.
www.cattman.com
Old 08-19-2004, 04:05 PM

yeah wtf with the mature woman thing?

but FSTB and RSB are the topic
Just curious, you a Linda Carter or Lindsay Wagner kinda guy? ROFL.

Just messin' with ya dude. No, she ain't no Olsen Twin, but she's hot!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:07 PM

lol olsen twin true that bro.. i dont want that star status to deal with " baggage"
Old 08-19-2004, 04:15 PM
retired moderator

guys...it's painfully obvious that I am a bit older than you...I have no idea who Linda Carter is and I can't for the life of me picture what Lindsey Wagner looks like.....I like my women old enough at least to legally drink.....btw I believe the girl in the pic is about 26-27, a little younger than me....

I am a man among boys in this thread
Old 08-19-2004, 04:18 PM
retired moderator

oh wait, WONDER WOMAN??? YEah!....
Old 08-19-2004, 04:29 PM

Suspension Upgrades

Swimmer - Irish is giving you good advice. The bars are designed and intended to serve different purposes. The FSTB ties your strut towers together to take chassis flex out when you're stressing the front - this allows the suspension to work the the springs and struts the way they were designed without body flexing. The result is a less busy feeling and less need for correction under cornering and bumpy conditions. The RSB pits one side of your rear suspension against the other like a big spring (torsion bar) to decrease body roll or lean. This is suspension science that's been around forever. A stiffer rear bar tends to produce less understeer or more oversteer. I have the Progress RSB from Cattman, and the result was dramatic. Before installation I always felt like the back end was changing roll and direction during high speed turns, creating a lack of confidence and a need for constant steering correction. Now it's just plain planted even when the road is uneven. If I only had $25 the FSTB is an improvement, if I only had $100 I'd go for the RSB, the change is major. Good Luck, let me know if you need any installation tips. I figures out a couple of tricks to save the ABS wire brackets etc.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
oh wait, WONDER WOMAN??? YEah!....
EXACTLY!!!

Lindsay Carter was the 'Bionic Woman' (she does the sleep select matress commercials, Linda Carter does the 1-800-Contacts commercials)! You're too old to remember either of them??? I just turned 31 (yeah, shut up) Those were the girls I wanted when I was a kid.

Nevertheless, Irish, if your woman looks anything like your sig pic, you're a lucky man -- assuming she's not psychotic! ROFL. You old man, you!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by MaxArt
Swimmer - Irish is giving you good advice. The bars are designed and intended to serve different purposes. The FSTB ties your strut towers together to take chassis flex out when you're stressing the front - this allows the suspension to work the the springs and struts the way they were designed without body flexing. The result is a less busy feeling and less need for correction under cornering and bumpy conditions. The RSB pits one side of your rear suspension against the other like a big spring (torsion bar) to decrease body roll or lean. This is suspension science that's been around forever. A stiffer rear bar tends to produce less understeer or more oversteer. I have the Progress RSB from Cattman, and the result was dramatic. Before installation I always felt like the back end was changing roll and direction during high speed turns, creating a lack of confidence and a need for constant steering correction. Now it's just plain planted even when the road is uneven. If I only had $25 the FSTB is an improvement, if I only had $100 I'd go for the RSB, the change is major. Good Luck, let me know if you need any installation tips. I figures out a couple of tricks to save the ABS wire brackets etc.
Great handling/suspension advice! You're right on. Personally, I didn't like the RSB, but that's just me. Maybe I tend to go a little hot into corners -- the Max is definitely not a car you want to lift throttle in mid turn -- talk about snap oversteer! I'm more used to rear drive cars where you can control the back end with the throttle. People ***** about the rear beam axle, but it doesn handle a bit like a rear-drive car, just much less predictably. I'm still learning, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:57 PM

hmm thanks everyone .. i think ill try and get the RSB but of course i need help install so tips would be great.. ill just save them now so i can use them later too so any tips wouldbe great
Old 08-19-2004, 05:01 PM

hmm thanks everyone .. i think ill try and get the RSB but of course i need help install so tips would be great.. ill just save them now so i can use them later too so any tips wouldbe great
You're in Tampa, right? I'm in Tarpon Springs. Be glad to help you out. Got all the tools required.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:19 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by kirzan
EXACTLY!!!

Lindsay Carter was the 'Bionic Woman' (she does the sleep select matress commercials, Linda Carter does the 1-800-Contacts commercials)! You're too old to remember either of them??? I just turned 31 (yeah, shut up) Those were the girls I wanted when I was a kid.

Nevertheless, Irish, if your woman looks anything like your sig pic, you're a lucky man -- assuming she's not psychotic! ROFL. You old man, you!!!
nah the too old comment was directed toward the olsen twins comment....hell when I was in Hight school they were little babies on "full house" haha...

I forgot about bionic woman...wasn't really into that....wonderwoman was hot, but I was more into Daisy Duke at that time frame (yeah, and there was great driving action in DUkes of Hazzard too)....I'm just about 29, so me and you are about the same generation....

Top 3 shows of my childhood:
-Dukes of Hazzard (Daisy Dukes, Car chases, and sliding over the hood!)
-CHiPs (Ponch was the bomb!)
-A-Team. (I wanted that van!!!)

I bet half of the young'uns on the org have never seen any of those shows! haha maybe reruns on TNT at 2 a.m.

oh, and get the RSB. Just to keep on topic.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:19 PM

hmm...not sure the girls you are talking about...but the woman in the pic is a psychotic? that's what i like..i will be 21 tomorrow btw(YES, I CAN BUY BEER). I like those kind of girls dress black with dark hair and dark looking...with super dark eye make up also lip..hahahahaha...

Originally Posted by kirzan
EXACTLY!!!

Old 08-19-2004, 05:33 PM
retired moderator

blastd...she's not psychotic, she's the singer for a hard rock band (think Evanescence, but much much much much better and more talented). check the link I posted above, dog.

You seriously don't know Wonder Woman, Bionic Woman or Daisy Duke?

Based on the women you like, if you're ever in NYC, go to Limelight (if it's still there)...nice punk/goth scene
Old 08-19-2004, 05:38 PM

thx for indo...she got another big fan now.
and i don't know wonder woman indeed.. none of them..
blastd...she's not psychotic, she's the singer for a hard rock band (think Evanescence, but much much much much better and more talented). check the link I posted above, dog.

You seriously don't know Wonder Woman, Bionic Woman or Daisy Duke?

Based on the women you like, if you're ever in NYC, go to Limelight (if it's still there)...nice punk/goth scene
Old 08-19-2004, 08:12 PM

Hey Kirzan, I30swimmer, and Bl_asd, I noticed you were all from central florida. There is a meet on Saturday August 21 in orlando. Trying to get as many people as I can to come it should be fun..Any of you attending? Info can be found on the Southeast forum. Check it out.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Max20SE00
Hey Kirzan, I30swimmer, and Bl_asd, I noticed you were all from central florida. There is a meet on Saturday August 21 in orlando. Trying to get as many people as I can to come it should be fun..Any of you attending? Info can be found on the Southeast forum. Check it out.

i know it..but i'll be work at a damn publix...i work from 2pm to 11pm sry..Studman already told me about this a while ago.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:34 PM
vqman

I30swimmer...

have you purchased new tires yet? I think the biggest handling improvement you'll get is a tire upgrade. But a good set of Toyo Proxes 4 (all season Ultra-High Performance Tires) will run you about $600, plus installation.

-vq

Old 08-20-2004, 01:07 PM

If you like chick singers for bands, check out www.velvetbrick.com

what are the "mods" for the rstb so that it won't rattle and clunk? and once again, where can i get one for $100?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:19 PM

yeah i have new tires Pilot sport A/S.. so they are pretty good. starting to get a little worn around the corners.. but still they are pretty good..

Yeah i think the RSB will be the way to go.. i just have to find the funds.. and the time with school starting back up
Old 08-22-2004, 12:02 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by JazzyFunkyKool
If you like chick singers for bands, check out www.velvetbrick.com

what are the "mods" for the rstb so that it won't rattle and clunk? and once again, where can i get one for $100?
thanks, I'll have to check them out....

if you get the progress/cattman/addco bar there are no "mods" you just have to move the bushings outward I think.....if it's a stillen bar there is no problems with clunk either...
Old 08-22-2004, 12:06 PM
Got Projectors?

I have a stillen bar that I'm selling in the classifieds *shameless plug*
Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 AM

nah the too old comment was directed toward the olsen twins comment....hell when I was in Hight school they were little babies on "full house" haha...

I forgot about bionic woman...wasn't really into that....wonderwoman was hot, but I was more into Daisy Duke at that time frame (yeah, and there was great driving action in DUkes of Hazzard too)....I'm just about 29, so me and you are about the same generation....

Top 3 shows of my childhood:
-Dukes of Hazzard (Daisy Dukes, Car chases, and sliding over the hood!)
-CHiPs (Ponch was the bomb!)
-A-Team. (I wanted that van!!!)

I bet half of the young'uns on the org have never seen any of those shows! haha maybe reruns on TNT at 2 a.m.

oh, and get the RSB. Just to keep on topic.

A-TEAM!!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:15 AM

What the heck? Another thread back from the dead....
Old 04-01-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
What the heck? Another thread back from the dead....
Wait, I'm so confused. Where the hell did I dig this one up? I haven't even done a search recently. Somebody must have posted something above me and deleted it. Sorry Puppet....
Old 04-01-2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
Wait, I'm so confused. Where the hell did I dig this one up? I haven't even done a search recently. Somebody must have posted something above me and deleted it. Sorry Puppet....
Don't apologize to me... I did it the other day too... its something to do with spam... a thread gets bumped back up by a bogus poster and the post is deleted or something... I dunno... but Uncle Sprinty was talkin about it last week....
Old 04-01-2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Don't apologize to me... I did it the other day too... its something to do with spam... a thread gets bumped back up by a bogus poster and the post is deleted or something... I dunno... but Uncle Sprinty was talkin about it last week....
Phew, at least I know I'm not going crazy. That is f*cked up!