5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another suspension question

Disclaimer: Yes, I have already researched suspension upgrades, etc. but I still need some help. Please don't flame me =)

I'm gonna be going to college next week and I really want to lower my car before I get there. Unfortunately I'm short on cash but I hear the Maxspeed springs are a great value. My question is: If I buy the springs but not struts and install them on the stock struts am I going to mess up my car? I just don't want to spend that much money right now but I also don't want to damage my car and have to pay for a repair. I'm really not concerned with the handling of the car as long as it isn't worse than stock (I can't see how getting new springs would make the handling worse)--I just want to get rid of the huge 4x4 gap and have a ride quality that is similar to what I have now. Thanks so much for your help.

BTW I have a 2000 SE with no suspension mods at all (gonna get new tires soon though).
Thanks!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by shift_method
Disclaimer: Yes, I have already researched suspension upgrades, etc. but I still need some help. Please don't flame me =)

I'm gonna be going to college next week and I really want to lower my car before I get there. Unfortunately I'm short on cash but I hear the Maxspeed springs are a great value. My question is: If I buy the springs but not struts and install them on the stock struts am I going to mess up my car? I just don't want to spend that much money right now but I also don't want to damage my car and have to pay for a repair. I'm really not concerned with the handling of the car as long as it isn't worse than stock (I can't see how getting new springs would make the handling worse)--I just want to get rid of the huge 4x4 gap and have a ride quality that is similar to what I have now. Thanks so much for your help.

BTW I have a 2000 SE with no suspension mods at all (gonna get new tires soon though).
Thanks!
if you are planning to lower your car, you should always get shocks with it.
it will be ok if you just get the springs for now, but who knows how long your stock shocks will hold. and trust me, when you have blown shocks, you will much rather have the stock set up. so pretty much, i would get both shocks and springs. i recomend!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
if you are planning to lower your car, you should always get shocks with it.
it will be ok if you just get the springs for now, but who knows how long your stock shocks will hold. and trust me, when you have blown shocks, you will much rather have the stock set up. so pretty much, i would get both shocks and springs. i recomend!
Ok, well then I'm gonna take a look at some Tokico shocks. What's the difference between the Blues and the Illuminas besides adjustability? Is it worth the extra $140 for the Illuminas? I never go to the track, so how much am I really going to be making adjustments on my car?
My original question just spawned 3 more, lol. Thanks for the help. =)
Old 08-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by shift_method
Ok, well then I'm gonna take a look at some Tokico shocks. What's the difference between the Blues and the Illuminas besides adjustability? Is it worth the extra $140 for the Illuminas? I never go to the track, so how much am I really going to be making adjustments on my car?
My original question just spawned 3 more, lol. Thanks for the help. =)
i drove with eibachs and blues for at least 2 years with no problems (then totalled the car - struts were still good though)

the blues will probably last you a good long time....
Old 08-19-2004, 04:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
i drove with eibachs and blues for at least 2 years with no problems (then totalled the car - struts were still good though)

the blues will probably last you a good long time....
Thanks for the reply.

Ok so that's one vote for the Blues--can anyone give me a good reason to get the Illuminas for my particular setup, or am I better off saving my money and going with the Blues?

Thanks again for the help