5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Big Problem with VQ35

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 11:39 PM

Big Problem with VQ35

Here is a thread detailing a pretty big problem.

FYI

Buck
Old 08-27-2004, 12:21 AM

Holy F*ck that doesn't look good.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

cross your fingers for my 01 Pathfinder SE- 70k no probs yet
Old 08-27-2004, 04:09 AM
vqman

my wife's 2k1 Pathfinder with 57,000 miles...no problems yet..

-vq

Old 08-27-2004, 04:16 AM
vqman

Originally Posted by Bucket

i don't want to register there, but if you are a member, you might square them away on the xterra...they don't realize it has a vg33e, not a vq35de engine...

-vq

Old 08-27-2004, 04:30 AM
Oh hi....

This seems similar to what happened to one or two members here on the board with their 02s. I made it a point to check and make sure all screws are in place on my 02.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:11 AM

Here's an older similar thread on the VQ35 swallowing metal: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=donation
Old 08-27-2004, 07:19 AM
drag racing is for wussies

I posted about this about hmm year ago when this started to happen....lemme dig it up. The cases I seen where on Maximas thou. As far as the screws being shipped over sea and salt..... ehh BS cause all Pathfinders and 5th gen Maximas where made in Japan, including the engine so I dont know why they would ship the screws over to US. Maybe for the 04 Maximas- yes, and the 2.5L QueeR25DE motor Pos.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:07 AM

"The "knock" isn;t the screw rattling around but the piston trying to compress the screw against the head and the rod hitting the crank."

Nice

WTF kind of long-term testing is Nissan doing (not doing), that this didn't show up if it's so common?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:11 AM

would this effect a car that assembled in japan? i checked my vin, says it was assembled in some plant in japan.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:15 AM

Damn, thats awfull!!!!!
Old 08-27-2004, 08:18 AM

This happens verrry seldom, so I don't think you have much to worry bout. I seen it happen on diff cars before not just 3.5Ls. I seen 350Zs do that, Altimas, Pathfinders... but its not like these are cars in line at the dealer for new engines like there are Acura TL/CL in line for new trannies at the dealers ! All Maximas till the last 5.5th gen rolled off the assembly plant where manufactured in Japan. Japan is the best of the best. Any car which its VIN starts with a J is made in Japan, 3 is echo en mexico, 2 is made in Canada, and 1 is made in US, W is Germany, and only car sold in US made in Australia is the GTO but I'm not sure what their VIN is... forgot to check out the one that I whopp on at my local autoX.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:30 AM

So are the PathFinders made in the US ?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:33 AM

No, the new VQ40DE powered Pathfinder is going to be build in US. All Pathfinders till now where made in Japan. Altima, Sentra, Frontier, Xterra, Quest, where made in US- Sentra in Mexico from late '99. All Maximas up to 04 where made in Japan, same with the Pathfinder till now they were made in Japan also. All Infinitis are made in Japan.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

At least its not a problem like the V8 SHO owners are having with their engines! I still can't get over Ford ignoring that problem. I hope Nissan steps up to the plate if there is a serious design problem.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:46 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

no problems here.....
Old 08-27-2004, 09:47 AM

Are we in danger of this?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:56 AM

unacceptable. nissan should isssue an immediate recall - hopefully they won't pull a ford http://www.auto.com/industry/taurus24_20021024.htm
Old 08-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't understand why they didn't just make the screws longer and put locking nuts on each screw.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:14 AM

Swalling butterfly screws, inhaling pieces of crumbling catylic converters. Crapola!

I complained to my dealer about a rattling noise on deceleration. First they (and I) thought it was a butterfly screw that had fallen into a cylinder. So they inspected the butterfly on the intake manifold and found everything in order. They took a borascope and examined the top of the cylinders and found no damage. Then they replaced the stock Y pipe with a new one. Then they took the front cover off and replaced the VTC cam gears.

None of these steps solved the problem. I know they did the work because when I drove it I smelt the burn off from the new Y pipe and could see from the gasket that they had taken off the front cover. Plus I've been dealing with the same service advisor for over a decade and I trust him.

The problem turned out to be the precat on the rear manifold. The entire honey come had come loose and was rattling once the shell got warmed up. I give props to Curtis Krauth and his service team at Brown's Sterling Nissan for sticking the problem until it was resolve. They also gave me a free rental car for the entire week it took to diagnose the problem.

Now my main concern is watching out for oil consumption/blue smoke, etc. Even though they didn't see anything, some of that cat material (porcelan) may have been suck back into the engine and kill it over time anyway.

I agree that Nissan should recall these cats and the manifold, too. It sure is nice to have my ride back though.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:25 AM

This very same thing started to happen on my front precat- I gutted that **** right away. I have almost 100K miles on mine and been catless for some time now... no oil consumption problems.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Yep, at least TWO Maximas and one Pathfinder VQ35 have ate a throttle body screw that I've seen here.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by kobalt
unacceptable. nissan should isssue an immediate recall - hopefully they won't pull a ford http://www.auto.com/industry/taurus24_20021024.htm
From that article...

"This V8 engine problem is one of the things that's talked about when people bring up the SHO. SHO buyers tend to be a very discriminating bunch so they don't have much patience with this, not that you can blame them," said Charlie Vogelheim, executive editor of the Kelley Blue Book, a used-car pricing guide. "The residual value of the SHO hasn't held up too well. Part of that is desirability and the fact that there aren't many automatics available."

This moron is the head of KBB? What a yahoo - EVERY V8 SHO was an automatic

I had a '93 V6 SHO and it rocked (for a Ford), but I don't know why you'd buy a V8 in the first place...they're slower than the V6s for cryin out loud, and as the article says you have to get the cams welded to be able to even trust the engine
...plus no manual available with the V8...
Old 08-28-2004, 12:15 AM
vqman

Originally Posted by 02SEinStL
From that article...

"This V8 engine problem is one of the things that's talked about when people bring up the SHO. SHO buyers tend to be a very discriminating bunch so they don't have much patience with this, not that you can blame them," said Charlie Vogelheim, executive editor of the Kelley Blue Book, a used-car pricing guide. "The residual value of the SHO hasn't held up too well. Part of that is desirability and the fact that there aren't many automatics available."

This moron is the head of KBB? What a yahoo - EVERY V8 SHO was an automatic

I had a '93 V6 SHO and it rocked (for a Ford), but I don't know why you'd buy a V8 in the first place...they're slower than the V6s for cryin out loud, and as the article says you have to get the cams welded to be able to even trust the engine
...plus no manual available with the V8...
that's what I was thinking....

I thought, "damn, I didn't know you could get a manual tranny w/V8 SHO...but to hear him say they were more common through me for a loop.

-vq

Old 08-28-2004, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ripper
Swalling butterfly screws, inhaling pieces of crumbling catylic converters. Crapola!

I complained to my dealer about a rattling noise on deceleration. First they (and I) thought it was a butterfly screw that had fallen into a cylinder. So they inspected the butterfly on the intake manifold and found everything in order. They took a borascope and examined the top of the cylinders and found no damage. Then they replaced the stock Y pipe with a new one. Then they took the front cover off and replaced the VTC cam gears.

None of these steps solved the problem. I know they did the work because when I drove it I smelt the burn off from the new Y pipe and could see from the gasket that they had taken off the front cover. Plus I've been dealing with the same service advisor for over a decade and I trust him.

The problem turned out to be the precat on the rear manifold. The entire honey come had come loose and was rattling once the shell got warmed up. I give props to Curtis Krauth and his service team at Brown's Sterling Nissan for sticking the problem until it was resolve. They also gave me a free rental car for the entire week it took to diagnose the problem.

Now my main concern is watching out for oil consumption/blue smoke, etc. Even though they didn't see anything, some of that cat material (porcelan) may have been suck back into the engine and kill it over time anyway.

I agree that Nissan should recall these cats and the manifold, too. It sure is nice to have my ride back though.
I HAD THE EXACT SAME THING FIXED!!!.. .the rear precat.

ITS supposedly a KNOWN issues for 2k2/2k3 maximas. As when i brought my car in to the dealer, without even looking at it, he assumed REAR PRECAT!.. had it fixed, no more noises