5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

hard-wire iPod or iRiver player into 5th gen Bose...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 04:46 PM
retired moderator

hard-wire iPod or iRiver player into 5th gen Bose...

can it be done? I know there are FM modulators and tape-deck modulators for the iPod and iRiver players, but can you wire it right into the Bose system via RCA connectors or anything? Car audio is the one part of cars that I know fairly little about.....

thanks guys....I would post this in the audio forum, but there's not many people going in there it seems...
Old 08-28-2004, 07:04 PM

I think it might be possible if you are not using your Changer. The stock BOSE and most stock stereos do not provide auxillary inputs. If you bought a new receiver it could be done without too much trouble, but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

The way the new BMW iPod attachment works is by using the changer auxillary input which is why I think this could be done with the Maxima with the use of an adapter. I haven't been in the scene for awhile to be able to give you an exact option, but if you look HERE you will see options for doing what you want for aftermarket stereos. As soon as you find the adapter for the head unit you can then use something like THIS to the headphone jack on the top of the iPod or get really creative and put an iPod dock in the ashtray (or somewhere else) and have it charge and play your music at the same time (requires an AC/DC inverter).
Old 08-28-2004, 07:25 PM
retired moderator

thanks...that's kind of what I had in mind - but not sure how even if I could find a fitting if it would be "compatible" with the CD changer setup....

my other thought (keep in mind I do not yet have an iPod (or more likely iRiver) player - but I wonder if there's a way to direct-wire the FM modulator into the car's actual antenna wiring (instead of the FM modulator sending a signal to the antenna, which can get interference...).....hmmmm....
Old 08-28-2004, 07:39 PM

the best bet would be to call up a quality stereo store in town. It's possible you might find knowledgeable staff at CC or BB but a local shop that does crazy installs will probably be more likely to help you and more knowledgeable of all the adapters available or a way to do it custom.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have an ipod and have been using the tape adapter to listen to my ipod. Its the same thing that people use to listen to their cd-walkman. It sounds pretty good. I had bought the ipod I-TRIP, which locks into any station you choose on your ipod and sends the signal that way. It sounded ok, but the tape player way is much clearer. If you find a way to hardwire let me know...
Old 08-28-2004, 10:20 PM
† ErV †

When using the cd changer input port, you face a simple problem: Only the OEM one will work as the changer needs to identify itself to the HU and vice versa, or the HU will disregard it. There was an adapter rumor sometime back in the days but that never really happened.... not sure if anything has changed.

Old 08-29-2004, 06:22 AM

Knowledgeable staff at BB and CC?!? Highly unlikely unless you are looking for hype, BS, and rumors. Deal with a GOOD local shop.

Did the standard HU come with a CD-changer option? I absolutely hate BLOZE and would not have bought my Maxima if it came with it. If the stock unit has a CD-changer option then I might take this on as a weekend project.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:45 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
Knowledgeable staff at BB and CC?!? Highly unlikely unless you are looking for hype, BS, and rumors. Deal with a GOOD local shop.

Did the standard HU come with a CD-changer option? I absolutely hate BLOZE and would not have bought my Maxima if it came with it. If the stock unit has a CD-changer option then I might take this on as a weekend project.
Yeah, I would never ask them at CC or BB....there are a couple of real hardcore car audio shops around here that I might try.

As to the Bose otherwise, I've been very happy with it....it's not perfect, but it sounds good enough for listening to music...I'm not trying to win any bass-off's or competitions Besides, after having 2 systems jacked out of each of my last 2 cars, it's nice to have a good-sounding system that is STOCK and nobody will steal.....as soon as you put a nice aftermarket setup in, it's gonna get jacked.....

well, I may do some experimenting with thie thing...we'll see.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:40 AM

Can't you use an FM Modulator for those things?

That would benefit you the most and you can take it home too.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:49 AM
retired moderator

yeah, the iRiver comes with an FM modulator internal....but I have buddies who have used iPod, iRiver, and dell one with FMM, and you don't always get a crystal-clear signal, especially here in DC area where there are ALOT of radio stations.

What I'm trying to do basically is just be able to have a pre-wired line to the Bose with a plug tht could plug right into the headphone jacks/audio out on the MP3 player...I'd just setup the line to sit in the dash or near wherever I want to put a mount bracket for the MP3...that way I can still take it out of the car by just unplugging the jack....

looks like it's a lost cause though...I'm surprised nobody here is a guru on this kind of thing - when talking "systems" alot of guys act like they are experts, but when a true technical question comes up nobody knows. Comeon, there's gotta be someone here who installs audio for a living!!!
Old 08-29-2004, 10:52 AM
retired moderator

i wonder if there would be a way to use the tape deck lines somehow? (I don't mean the thing that goes INTO the tape player from the MP3)

I NEVER use the tape deck and would not care if I disabled it to use its wiring for an MP3....hmmm....
Old 08-30-2004, 06:18 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=328586

I wired mine with an FM Modulator and it sounds pretty good. There are no visable wires either...and if I wanted, I could charge the iPod at the same time. And when I take the iPod out, no one can tell that there is a docking station in the ash tray...which was my criteria for installing an iPod.

I searched and search of a way to wire the iPod differently and this was the easiest way. You can't make the Bose CD Player think the iPod is the trunk changer and use the CD/CHR button. You could start splicing wires and make a CD of 1 continuous blank track but that's stupid.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:14 PM
retired moderator

Thanks GaMax97....one more question to show my ignorance of audio stuff -
so the FM modulator unit - how does this hook up? I mean, is it physicallly attached to the OEM antenna wire that plugs into the back of the head unit? If you had a pic of the FM modulator "hooked up" or whatever that would be great. Also, is the modulator a universal type or is it specific to the iPod only.?...I am strongly leaning toward the iRiver player - after many many hours of research and testing both out (but please, no arguments here about which is better, please no!)
thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 05:47 PM

i have mine through the tape player which goes to the belkin power adapter and connects to the rear cigarette lighter,

that way its not very dirty install and i have the cup holder for the ipod which works like a champ

sounds great no problems here

all fm modulators sounds like crap, been there done that, thats the only reason i am not getting satelite radio with the bose as fm modulation takes the digital out of digital radio

just use the tape adapter, its not expensive and works very well
Old 08-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Darn, us 5th gens are out of luck. I sell the PAC AAI-NIS to G35/350Z people like mad. It gives them two real RCA inputs into their head units.

No such luck for us.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:09 PM

I know this is an old thread, but Grubb's just sent me a link for this:

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer..._Code=Specials

I guess it replaces your CD changer with an iPod interface? Anyway, it's pretty expensive... I did see another one ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JmCJcaw...o&i=581PA10NIS) for less.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:51 PM

In your other thread you said you have problems with the fm modulator, have you solved these yet?

Originally Posted by GaMax97GLE
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=328586

I wired mine with an FM Modulator and it sounds pretty good. There are no visable wires either...and if I wanted, I could charge the iPod at the same time. And when I take the iPod out, no one can tell that there is a docking station in the ash tray...which was my criteria for installing an iPod.

I searched and search of a way to wire the iPod differently and this was the easiest way. You can't make the Bose CD Player think the iPod is the trunk changer and use the CD/CHR button. You could start splicing wires and make a CD of 1 continuous blank track but that's stupid.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Soundgate now makes a RCA adaptor for Nissan. It gives you RCA inputs through the CD changer input. It's not completely plug and play like the PAC units (two wires need to be tapped) but it works well. The install that I did was on a 350Z base stereo model but the base stereo and the Bose model use the same CD changer.

One word of caution, on this particular install the Ipod charger introduces a ground loop into the system. I tried a few things but could not get rid of the loop. I could have been the particular charger but I did not ahve another one to test one.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:38 PM

I also installed the soundgate CD changer input $94 discount car stereo along with the $11 RCA to Phono adapter

I also purchased a ground loop isolator from $17 Radio Shack

I orginaly got it for a XM Roady but droped them and bought a MP3 Jukebox. The ground loop isolator removed 99% of the whine.