5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mightily PO'd

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 09:04 AM
It's business time.

Mightily PO'd

I took my car to a Firestone shop to have them install my front OEM brake pads and turn the rotors. They did it but said that the clips from the old pads were rusted and are scraping the rotors. The new pads evidently did not come with their own clips so the old rusted ones don't fit perfectly on the new ones. I have to wait two days until I can go to a dealership and get the clips. Meanwhile these rusted clips are scraping at my rotors. My car squeels like hell everywhere I go regardless of braking, which only makes it louder. I just hope that the damage isn't going to require another turning of the rotors.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ABDomega
I took my car to a Firestone shop to have them install my front OEM brake pads and turn the rotors. They did it but said that the clips from the old pads were rusted and are scraping the rotors. The new pads evidently did not come with their own clips so the old rusted ones don't fit perfectly on the new ones. I have to wait two days until I can go to a dealership and get the clips. Meanwhile these rusted clips are scraping at my rotors. My car squeels like hell everywhere I go regardless of braking, which only makes it louder. I just hope that the damage isn't going to require another turning of the rotors.
I haven't had the brakes apart on the maxima yet but I don't think those clips are necessary. Remove them and the scraping will go away. You may hear the pads slapping around a bit but, if you really want the pads, you can add them back on later. At least you won't have that horrible scraping in the meantime!