5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

frankencar exhaust 02+

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 03:03 PM
imported_JIC_A33

frankencar exhaust 02+

anyone with an 02+ have any fitament issues? i was going to get the cattman exhaust, but he wants like $630 shipped, and the frankencar i can get for 440 shipped. I have a cattman y on my 02, just wonder if it all fits together with no rubbing or clanking problems.

thanks

Old 09-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My friend Colin has the Frankencar exhaust. He is quite pleased with it, but it is extremely heavy. No weight savings at all. His car sounds just like stock with it on. Too quiet for me.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:50 PM

dont get frankencar exahust, it sounds like a stock, go with cattman or HKS, look for OBX catback too
Old 09-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Horra!!

Also Frankencar, as a company, sucks major a$$. Spare yourself the headache and get a Cattman
Old 09-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If recall correctly, that $440 was an intro price many moons ago- i'd be nice if they updated their site
Old 09-09-2004, 05:30 PM
I miss the .org!

Frankencar does suck. Is their exhaust really quieter than Cattman? My Cattman is pretty quiet as it is...which I like...
Old 09-09-2004, 06:08 PM
retired moderator

frankencar's supposed bad service (I have never had a problem with it) aside, there are a few points:

1. SR20 didn't specify that he wanted a loud ricer exhaust. Some people would rather hear the engine than the exhaust.....also some people like peace and quiet when driving, not an annoying drone (and no, I'm not picking on any specific muffler, but you and I both know that some of them have an annoying drone). Also, from what I've heard the frankencar has a very nice, deep tone at WOT and is quiet at idle. IMHO, that is the best sound combination.

2. Frankencar is stainless steel (unlike some of the other exhausts) and appears from what I've seen to be heavy-duty and good quality. Weight is an issue, of course, but half of you guys have 200lbs of subwoofers and amps in the trunk....so can't be that much of an issue.

3. Frankencar doesn't look ricey like some other exhausts with big-*** single tips on them. In fact, I personally think the FC is the best LOOKING catback out there, hands-down. Classy yet sporty...the tip design is very nice looking also.

SR20 asked about fitament......all of the responses so far are dealing with wieght, price, and frankencar service......no one has actually answered JACK.

so here's my 2 cents: I don't have it but have seen it in person and have read all the threads about it. I don't recall having heard any fitament issues, except that you need to get stronger hangers for it so it doesn't bang (replace the wimpy OEM hangers with aftermarket such as NISMO (ugh...nismo)). Most of the poeple who have it and have posted on threads about it appear to be very satisfied from what I've read.

by the way, Triple8 - I have plenty of respect for your opinion, as you most definitely know cars and nissans in particular, but have to wonder if your opinion in some issues is a bit slanted by the fact that you sell products that are competitors with some of the products you dog here on the org.....If you sold Frankencar instead of, say, Greddy or HKS, you wouldn't be ******* them I bet. But who knows? Seems I'm always arguing with you for some reason
Old 09-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

I purchased Frankencar because with headers i NEED a quiet catback and man the combo sounds so sweet i get compliments all the time... I love it...
-J
Old 09-09-2004, 07:14 PM

Check this site out...
http://www.waveperformance.com/mufflerclips/muffler.htm
Old 09-09-2004, 07:37 PM
imported_JIC_A33

Originally Posted by Cubanato
I purchased Frankencar because with headers i NEED a quiet catback and man the combo sounds so sweet i get compliments all the time... I love it...
-J
thanks. just looking for opinions.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:49 PM
6yrs old=36,500 miles :)

SR20 you have a PM
Old 09-09-2004, 08:44 PM
vsamoylov

well let me say something about frankencar. people say good things about the exhaust from them but their service sucks IMO. I ordered a intake from them and i emailed and called them and i get no response at all. I mean how hard is it to reply back? for all the poeple that ordered stuff from them, how long does it take usually to get the parts? i live in North CA 94541 so maybe like 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks? cause i need my intake to get my car running. lol thanks for all the info.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:53 PM
Horra!!

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
well let me say something about frankencar. people say good things about the exhaust from them but their service sucks IMO. I ordered a intake from them and i emailed and called them and i get no response at all. I mean how hard is it to reply back? for all the poeple that ordered stuff from them, how long does it take usually to get the parts? i live in North CA 94541 so maybe like 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks? cause i need my intake to get my car running. lol thanks for all the info.
all that stainless steel and good looking quiet exhaust doesn't do jack when you can't get the product after a couple of months of trying to get in contact with them and finally give up and demand your money back.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:41 AM

Demanding money back is the only way to get a response. I refuse to support anything from Frankencar whether they have the best catback on the market on not.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:31 AM

I read a post here a while ago that said that the Frankencar muffler is a little larger and might be a little tight around the heat shield (just what I read here on the .org). I know that there is not much room around the stock muffler. I had to make some adjustments when I installed my b-pipe. I am torn between Cattman and Frankencar - price and fittment are issues for me as well noise level. Stock muffler currently sounds great.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:00 AM
I miss the .org!

Originally Posted by irish44j
by the way, Triple8 - I have plenty of respect for your opinion, as you most definitely know cars and nissans in particular, but have to wonder if your opinion in some issues is a bit slanted by the fact that you sell products that are competitors with some of the products you dog here on the org.....If you sold Frankencar instead of, say, Greddy or HKS, you wouldn't be ******* them I bet. But who knows? Seems I'm always arguing with you for some reason

My comments in this thread were based on previous personal experience as a consumer, dealing with companies such as Frankencar and Cattman. It just so happens that I even have the Cattman catback myself. Also, since I sell NEITHER of those products I'm not really biased either way as far as what you're saying. We only carry more of the major brand names at this point. (Although it's a pretty huge list if you've ever checked our site).
Old 09-10-2004, 01:39 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
My comments in this thread were based on previous personal experience as a consumer, dealing with companies such as Frankencar and Cattman. It just so happens that I even have the Cattman catback myself. Also, since I sell NEITHER of those products I'm not really biased either way as far as what you're saying. We only carry more of the major brand names at this point. (Although it's a pretty huge list if you've ever checked our site).
ok....I did notice that you use the cattman and I have been to your site many times.....
Old 09-10-2004, 03:42 PM
vsamoylov

well then i am going to demand my money back from them if that is the only way they respond to me phone calls and emails.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:52 PM

i have a frankencar.. and i got it a couple days after i spoke to steve..

then again i live within an hour from him and i went to the warehouse to pick it up.. i bought maybe i thinkt he 2nd one...

it's a great exhaust.. alittle big.. and if u dont fix the hangers u can hear claning when going over potholes and speed bumps..

sometimes i love the quietness of the exhaust.. soemtiems i wish it was louder.... but most of the time i love the low rumble and idle and when in neutral when i rev it sounds good to me...

its not as loud as a greddy by far... and i've never heard cattmans.. and the HKS is loud too..

i didnt want a loud exhaust cuz i dont want to be ticketed if i get pulled over for it

plus the price was soo much better
Old 09-12-2004, 11:19 PM

I LOVE to get the Frankencar exhaust, but I live in Canada and I wanted to ask how much the shipping would be, but email a few times and no response. It's a real shame, cause I don't even know if I can trust a company that can't even reply to emails..........
Anyone knows where exactly this company is based?
Old 09-13-2004, 01:48 AM

i think its located in Palmer, MA.... might a town around there like belchertown, Ma or soemthing..

but i think its Palmer,Ma
Old 09-13-2004, 11:29 AM
vsamoylov

well i called them friday and scott picked up the phone. he said if it isnt shipped yet, it would be shipped saturday. well today is monday so it should be here this week if it takes 2-3 days like most people say. i am glad i got through to him though. it made my day.