5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

RETEACH - Computer to shift?- Auto Transmission - Computer?

Old 09-09-2004, 06:36 PM

RETEACH - Computer to shift?- Auto Transmission - Computer?

I want to reset my 2000 gxe to RELEARN the shifting. the previous owner was a little gentle, and my automatic shifts gently too. Nissan said that the car "learns" how to shift based of the habits of the driver. I am not the original driver.. I bought it privately from the local paper (two years ago). It was in prestine condition and still is .... is there any way to reteach the computer to shift based on my driving style.

I did an ECU reset (2000-2001). - disconnected battery. and still shifts a little slow( I have 66k) . It doesnt pull as hard as other maxes I drove, namely my parents (114k).

input would be appreciated. I am not complaining...its just that my car drives different than my parents 2000 maxima. Just wanted to know if relearning is possible. and if there was a procedure. If not, please let me know too.

Thanks,
-Anthony
Old 09-09-2004, 06:47 PM

hmm im gonna go with dissconect the battery like you said. that worked for me... and if you really want some fun do the "DROP RESISTOR" mod itll give you hard shifts ,, just read up on it before you do it!!! so you know what ur getting into
Old 09-09-2004, 06:50 PM

and by the way what is the model of your parents MAX..?
Old 09-09-2004, 08:18 PM

my parent's maxima is 2000 SE maxima. We got it brand new and my father was the one who broke it in. ... and he did a good job... i like that way it shifts. it pulls nice. and the pedal is nice, light and responsive...

where as mine is a little heavy and shifts more gentle, the pull is not there. but I am just wondering if it can be retaught to shift...

like when you first break it in.

-Anthony
Old 09-10-2004, 08:48 AM

SO, the ECU reset resets the auto trannny computer?... can someone verify?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 09-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by gxe2se
SO, the ECU reset resets the auto trannny computer?... can someone verify?

Thanks,
Anthony
you can not technicaly "reset" the TCM (trassmission control module).

here is why-
your ECU sends contant signals to the TCM (there are like 10 signals from diffirent sensors) TCM gets the information and matches it to parameters it has stored. it picks the parameter that matches the signals the closest. once it picks the parameter it uses that information and sends a signal to the shift selinods to shift up or down.
in easy terms "the TCM gets info, processes it, and decides when to tell the tranny to shift"
reseting the ECU will allow it (ECU) to learn your driving style which will change the info it sends to the TCM. the TCM will then use that to create new parameters.
so you cant reset TCM and erase the stored parameters because those change all the time depending on signals it gets.
if you already reset the ECU and are still having the problem then it is probably a bad TCM. it is getting the information then having problems processing it. "the TCM gets info, cant processes it, and cant decides when the hell to tell the tranny to shift"
i had that problem and had to replace my TCM. just did it a few hours ago. she drives like a brand new car now and im falling back in love with her
Old 09-10-2004, 04:51 PM
scopium

you got a how to .. on replacing the TCM

Old 09-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by soonerfan
you can not technicaly "reset" the TCM (trassmission control module).

here is why-
your ECU sends contant signals to the TCM (there are like 10 signals from diffirent sensors) TCM gets the information and matches it to parameters it has stored. it picks the parameter that matches the signals the closest. once it picks the parameter it uses that information and sends a signal to the shift selinods to shift up or down.
in easy terms "the TCM gets info, processes it, and decides when to tell the tranny to shift"
reseting the ECU will allow it (ECU) to learn your driving style which will change the info it sends to the TCM. the TCM will then use that to create new parameters.
so you cant reset TCM and erase the stored parameters because those change all the time depending on signals it gets.
if you already reset the ECU and are still having the problem then it is probably a bad TCM. it is getting the information then having problems processing it. "the TCM gets info, cant processes it, and cant decides when the hell to tell the tranny to shift"
i had that problem and had to replace my TCM. just did it a few hours ago. she drives like a brand new car now and im falling back in love with her

is there anything you cannot do??
Old 09-10-2004, 10:01 PM

Awesome. answer.

Now yes, can we install the TCM ourselves? how much is it anyways.

-Anthony
Old 09-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Cletus

you can do it yourself. took me about an hour. it is located behind the stereo. all you do is unplug the battery, unplug the TCM, and put the new one in.
i got the "updated" version for a 2000 which im told fixed the problem with the old ones. you can still get the old version
list price
old version - $580
"updated" version - $720

i got mine for $430 brand new