5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tired of one wheel burnouts. Need LSD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tired of one wheel burnouts. Need LSD!!!

As much fun as it is lighting up one wheel in my 2000 5 speed Maxima, creating a smoky burnout for all to see, hear, and smell, I would prefer the benefit of traction that a Limited Slip Differential would provide.

What is the most reliable (or best) way to get a limited slip differential (lsd) in my 2000 5 speed Maxima. I haven't seemed to find a difinitive answer based on searching past threads.

Reliability is key, as I drive 25K+/- miles per year, and do not really want to put in a product that is only meant to last 50K.

Is the 2001 AE tranny and axles the best way to go (I understand that this has a lsd), or is there a product with similar or better lsd, that is similarly reliable.

Thanks in advance,
Old 09-10-2004, 11:24 PM

Anyone? Best LSD
Old 09-12-2004, 03:06 AM

I think quaife makes an lsd for our trannies...
Old 09-12-2004, 05:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not sure about availability of the Quaife though... and it's very expensive, although a replacement tranny is too so who knows

I understand the 2k1 AE tranny has a Viscous LSD, and I believe the I30t 5-speed tranny does too (?)... I think a 4th gen owner I was talking to installed an I30t 5spd tranny.

Quaife is the most ideal implementation though... it's all mechanical. I'd highly recommend seeing if you can get ahold of one, since you wouldn't need to replace your axles unlike the other trannies (AFAIK)
Old 09-12-2004, 07:31 AM

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?...pDifferentials There you go!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:06 AM

!

Originally Posted by sean05
Excellent! Thanks for the info. I'll save up for a quaife.

Jason
Old 09-12-2004, 11:43 AM
It's business time.

Your best bet, if you could find one, would be a 2000 Canadien model or AE if you could find one at a yard. That, of course, would be very lucky. My car came from Canada so it has a VLSD.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:26 PM
retired moderator

Just to be the voice of reason and maybe help save you a bunch of money....

Here's an idea...learn to modulate the pedals with your feet in order *not* to smoke out.....that's the reason there is no traction control on manual trannies is that the traction control is the driver's skill....

I mean...I can honestly say I have never "accidentally" smoked out. In fact I rarely accidentally even squeak the tires on a fast start..

If driver's skill is not enough for you - get some better tires and some suspension mods that keep the tires on the road when punching it off the line (LTB, springs, illuminas, etc etc)...

or one other idea - stop peeling out, and then you won't have this problem.

now if you have to have a VLSD then I have heard good things about the quaife......
Old 09-12-2004, 02:36 PM

Well, I try my hardest not to spin the tires or whatnot... but honestly, I hate having to do that every damn time I try to have fun in 1st gear. I wouldn't mind some kind of LSD unit on my tranny... just to make the overall experience an exercise in having fun rather than an exercise in self control
Old 09-12-2004, 02:49 PM
The Definitive AE Master

vlsd comes in handy when your exiting a parking lot and your waiting for oncoming traffic to clear. One tire is one the concrete area, the other on the road and your car is slanted. Even just trying to take off moderately so the upcoming car doesn't ram into you results in tire spin (x3 worse in the rain)
Old 09-12-2004, 03:20 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Larrio
vlsd comes in handy when your exiting a parking lot and your waiting for oncoming traffic to clear. One tire is one the concrete area, the other on the road and your car is slanted. Even just trying to take off moderately so the upcoming car doesn't ram into you results in tire spin (x3 worse in the rain)
it rains in california?

I'm not saying VLSD isn't a nice thing to have...I'm just saying that a good driver can negate the wheel burnout....but maybe us east-coast guys are more "sensitive" to our pedals since we have to deal with frequent rain, winter ice and snow, etc etc....

who knows.....as to taking off out of your parking lot scenario.....can't say I've ever had that problem - I just wait for the car to go by instead of trying to floor it and jump in front of him

though it was supposed to be all laid back out west? where you in such a rush to go?
Old 09-12-2004, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
it rains in california?

I'm not saying VLSD isn't a nice thing to have...I'm just saying that a good driver can negate the wheel burnout....but maybe us east-coast guys are more "sensitive" to our pedals since we have to deal with frequent rain, winter ice and snow, etc etc....

who knows.....as to taking off out of your parking lot scenario.....can't say I've ever had that problem - I just wait for the car to go by instead of trying to floor it and jump in front of him

though it was supposed to be all laid back out west? where you in such a rush to go?
I have had that happen... royal pain in the ****. It happens in varying degrees sometimes when I'm moving fast out of a parking lot with some dips/irregularities in the transition between pavements, especially if the car sways or bounces a little... traction can be lost in the midst. The workaround is to take it slow, but if it's coming onto a busy highway it's a pain.

Either way, whenever my tranny needs replacement, I am going to consider an LSD upgrade of any type.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:50 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by spirilis
I have had that happen... royal pain in the ****. It happens in varying degrees sometimes when I'm moving fast out of a parking lot with some dips/irregularities in the transition between pavements, especially if the car sways or bounces a little... traction can be lost in the midst. The workaround is to take it slow, but if it's coming onto a busy highway it's a pain.

Either way, whenever my tranny needs replacement, I am going to consider an LSD upgrade of any type.
enough of the excuses. simply admit it - my driving skills are far superior to yours. I think it's quite apparent. I don't think there can be any argument at this point.... j/k!

Old 09-12-2004, 04:00 PM

QUOTE: >>Your best bet, if you could find one, would be a 2000 Canadien model or AE if you could find one at a yard. That, of course, would be very lucky. My car came from Canada so it has a VLSD.<<

Quick question: Does a Canadian 1995 5-speed SE have a VLSD?
Old 09-12-2004, 06:44 PM

Just to be the voice of reason and maybe help save you a bunch of money....

Here's an idea...learn to modulate the pedals with your feet in order *not* to smoke out.....that's the reason there is no traction control on manual trannies is that the traction control is the driver's skill....

I mean...I can honestly say I have never "accidentally" smoked out. In fact I rarely accidentally even squeak the tires on a fast start..

If driver's skill is not enough for you - get some better tires and some suspension mods that keep the tires on the road when punching it off the line (LTB, springs, illuminas, etc etc)...

or one other idea - stop peeling out, and then you won't have this problem.

now if you have to have a VLSD then I have heard good things about the quaife......
You make a valid point, however I generally have no problem modulating to minimize wheelspin. The open dif is poor in the rain, snow, and does not make best use of the power that is available in these cars.

I am in the Seattle area, and the roads are wet alot, and the LSD would allow me to accelerate much faster when needed.

It looks like the Quaife might be the way for me to go, unless I can find a good cheap 01AE or Canadian tranny.

Thanks,
Jason
2K Maxima GXE 5sp
Old 09-12-2004, 06:48 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by frencjas
You make a valid point, however I generally have no problem modulating to minimize wheelspin. The open dif is poor in the rain, snow, and does not make best use of the power that is available in these cars.

I am in the Seattle area, and the roads are wet alot, and the LSD would allow me to accelerate much faster when needed.

It looks like the Quaife might be the way for me to go, unless I can find a good cheap 01AE or Canadian tranny.

Thanks,
Jason
2K Maxima GXE 5sp
cool....just throwin it out there....I personally know several guys who think they're good drivers and they SUCK at working the clutch for some reason.....
Old 09-12-2004, 07:06 PM

enough of the excuses. simply admit it - my driving skills are far superior to yours. I think it's quite apparent. I don't think there can be any argument at this point.... j/k!

You're just making up any crap you can to type the word "orgy"!!
Old 09-12-2004, 07:10 PM

I just titled the thread to get attention. "Tired of one wheel burnouts" Who wouldn't want to look at that!

It is actually quite fun lighting up a tire in the dry(on purpose), creating a smoky blue cloud! Not practical or good for the car, but good ol fashion american fun! My favorite was a 15 second 6000 rpm 1st gear smoky lightup (with e-brake assistance) right before having my new tires installed. I will miss it, but not much.

Jason
Old 09-12-2004, 07:31 PM

lol my clutch feels like it turns to molasses if I dump it any higher than 1500RPM... gotta start it off <1500RPM to take off fast
Old 09-13-2004, 06:41 AM
mjk
Head shot!!!

i believe there is a group deal on a kaaz lsd, but they need an x number of people