5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AutoX last sunday, pics and video

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Ben

AutoX last sunday, pics and video

Well, here are some pics and a video of the Max last weekend at AutoCross.
It's hard to get a sense of just how fast things are moving, but here's a couple clues. If you look at the 3rd picture close, you can actually see daylight under one of my wheels. Also, on the video, you can see the tailights blinking as the ABS kicks in after I go through the finish gate.

Anyway, a good time that I highly recommend. That was my 3rd time out and you really start to get a sense of what you and your Max are capable of that you never see on the street.

Enjoy.

Here is the video. It was taken on a digital cam versus a video cam, so it's not the best quality.
Quick Time...~10 MB
Old 09-12-2004, 08:47 AM
† ErV †

Third photo shows some serious body roll.....

Old 09-12-2004, 08:54 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by EvilRoadsVictim
Third photo shows some serious body roll.....
Yup, stock suspension. Added a FSTB and a RSB only. RSB probably contributes to the wheel coming off the ground. Those mods aren't technically allowed in the stock classes, but I can't compete with the MiniS's anyway, so no one is going to complain.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice video. Bad body roll.Next mod: Suspension
Old 09-12-2004, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ben
"It's hard to get a sense of just how fast things are moving,

Anyway, a good time that I highly recommend. ..you really start to get a sense of what you and your Max are capable of..."
Looks like you were "puttin' it down pretty hard". Props for having a good time in your Max.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
Nice video. Bad body roll.Next mod: Suspension
Yeah, I'm trying to decide between modding my Max and leaving the stock class or spending the money on an AutoX only car. I've been drooling over an Mr2 since I started auto crossing.
However, I would love the look on the little ricerkiddies faces when I beat their modded WRX. I'm already knocking on that door with stock.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:29 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I just got back from a autoX, and my car has pretty much all the power bolt ons - save for cams, its tunned on the dyno, and I roll on serious rubber and suspension. I have not autoX in a while in my Maxima and with the new found power I found 255-40-17 SP9000 Dunlops scrambling for traction as I nailed the gas down even in 2nd gear around the corners. After getting used to the track I got my times lower and lower and finally made my own "victim"- 400HP, all bolt on, Volk TE37 shed, JIC FLTA2 suspensioned 02 WRX. I tried harder and harder, pushed the car to the limits its never seen before. I beat the WRX by .45 of a second. There was a 350Z there INVIDIA exhaust, Helix downpipes, no cats, Crawford intake manifold, and some kinda intake too.. he was one of my eassier to beat victims, and so was a stock G35 coupe 6spd. All in all I was one of the fastest sedans there- other than my friends BMW who had me by 1 second. My friend who has a 12.7 in the 1/4 mile EVO went with me and he didn't touch my time at all, hes not a bad driver or anything, he never autoX but still I thought since he always smokes me in the 1/4 or roll on races.. I got a good run on the autoX against him. One thing that makes a HUGE diff in racing a Maxima- RACING HARNESS !! Damn I wasn't sliding all over our park bench like seats no more, kept planted through the turns like a ****. Everyone turned their heads when they saw my car pull on the straighaway, it sounded mean vs the 350Z. Too bad my GF didn't come with me to get some footage of me racing. I am going to get some race rubber for the next even and take on the fastest cars- as my tires can't hold my behemoth size Maxima through the skidpad ! I spanked every Civic n Integra there, every WRX- even STI, and EVOs. I loved the look on peoples face when they saw the times No body roll here baby- just tires not holding up. Sorry I'm just so excited right now I cant contain myself !! :P
Old 09-12-2004, 05:17 PM

Damn Mike. So how much are you putting to the wheels? And what's your best E/T?
Old 09-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by Ben
Yeah, I'm trying to decide between modding my Max and leaving the stock class or spending the money on an AutoX only car. I've been drooling over an Mr2 since I started auto crossing.
However, I would love the look on the little ricerkiddies faces when I beat their modded WRX. I'm already knocking on that door with stock.
As much as it hurts to say it I'd suggest a dedicated autox car. Get a kart or formula V or something for much less than it costs to put into the Maxima. One of my best autox buddies dumped his '98 Camry for for an MR2. He's never looked back since.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ben
That's so funny, you have an Max, thinking about getting an MR2, that's what I did last Feb. We can be the A33 SW20 buddies. Be forewarned though, the MR2 is just about one of the hardest cars to work on out there. And everything is old, you'll spend $800 on it in the first month of ownership to get everything up to par.

I'm making a downpipe for the 3sgte later this year. Drop me an email if you need pointers on the SW20, I've learned everything I need to know about them this year. We'll have a downpipe and exhaust for that car later this year or in 2005.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by cobymoby
Be forewarned though, the MR2 is just about one of the hardest cars to work on out there. And everything is old, you'll spend $800 on it in the first month of ownership to get everything up to par.
Yeah. If up front cost was all there was, I could probably drop the cash for an Mr2 right now. But then it would just sit in the garage till next season waiting for me to get the money together and quit off.
I would love to just go trade the Max in for an autoxer and spend the differnece getting it race ready. However, I need the family car for, well... the family. (See, I don't always .)
Oh well, we'll see how the office treats me when bonus time comes around.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:51 PM

I don't care for 1/4 mile runs as my car aint set up for it, I build my car to be all around fast. Going straight is for (sorry) meat heads with no *****. This is why you don't see any rusted out '70 Old Cutlass doing *5* 20 min wide open throttle sessions at Road America 4 mile race track. A it would probably falla apart at high speed cause the rust would dissinegrate, B it would over heat the engine in the 1st 5 min of racing, C the suspension is as highly sophisticated as a Baptist Church Bus'. As for my power, lets just say I make more WHP than 95% of the 3.5L s on this forum
Old 09-12-2004, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I don't care for 1/4 mile runs as my car aint set up for it, I build my car to be all around fast. Going straight is for (sorry) meat heads with no *****. This is why you don't see any rusted out '70 Old Cutlass doing *5* 20 min wide open throttle sessions at Road America 4 mile race track. A it would probably falla apart at high speed cause the rust would dissinegrate, B it would over heat the engine in the 1st 5 min of racing, C the suspension is as highly sophisticated as a Baptist Church Bus'. As for my power, lets just say I make more WHP than 95% of the 3.5L s on this forum
@ the Baptist church bus analogy...

So you've gotten into the 2xx whp? Sweet! But I bet your car is super light too.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:10 PM

lets just say I'm little south of 240WHP yet north of 230WHP- NA.