5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Racial Profiling

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 05:36 AM

It is the HOT topic here in New Jersey and since we have a pretty good cultural mix here in this forum has anyone experienced being pulled over/ stopped b/c of color of skin or maybe because your cars stylings?
Old 04-09-2001, 07:01 AM

from what ive seen...its pretty prevalent in Queens
Old 04-09-2001, 11:27 AM
QUANSUNG

Originally posted by Pmp-n8a
from what ive seen...its pretty prevalent in Queens
in other cars i have been stopped or followed ,i have the windows tinted now but get stopped anyway.

Old 04-09-2001, 11:34 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

My friends and I have been stopped in our college town before. Supposedly going 40 in a 35, but we weren't even close to the posted speed limit.
Old 04-09-2001, 12:22 PM

I think another question would be "how do you feel about being targeted for spot checks because of your actions and/or race?" Do you feel that the nuisance is worth it if statistics show that profiles do work in that a high percentage of those fitting the profile are breaking the law in some way? By profile I mean physical appearance, actions, out of state plates, etc. I am white so it has never happened to me, but I would like to know how those targeted feel? Excuse my ignorance please) I feel that if I fit a certain profile and was inconvenienced, but it did keep scumb&gs off the street, it would be okay. But as I said I have never experienced it.
Old 04-09-2001, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by greggmax
I think another question would be "how do you feel about being targeted for spot checks because of your actions and/or race?" Do you feel that the nuisance is worth it if statistics show that profiles do work in that a high percentage of those fitting the profile are breaking the law in some way? By profile I mean physical appearance, actions, out of state plates, etc. I am white so it has never happened to me, but I would like to know how those targeted feel? Excuse my ignorance please) I feel that if I fit a certain profile and was inconvenienced, but it did keep scumb&gs off the street, it would be okay. But as I said I have never experienced it.
If you have ever experience being pulled over and detained, sat on the curb and made to feel like a criminal, then you would feel differently. When they sit you on the curb for public display and ask questions about your gang affilitation, when the last time you did drugs was etc.. you begin to question why you pay taxes, why you bother to be a law abiding citizen anyway if you are just going to be treated as a criminal regardless. It makes you wonder, gee if I had been hanging out in this parking lot with 5 other white dudes instead of 5 asian/black/hispanic guys, would they be bugging me?...
Trust me you wouldn't like it much.
Old 04-09-2001, 04:23 PM

Mindset

Originally posted by greggmax
I use to be of the same mindset, however, I have had officers friends ( whom for the most part get my respect and thanks) tell me that some of there colleagues are into power and intimidation of their status. So, don't be naive. Also, if they think get away with it Blacks and Hispanics and Asians ( from major & minor) then a few more years the Whites will get the.... Treatment, by the way its already started.
Old 04-09-2001, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
My friends and I have been stopped in our college town before. Supposedly going 40 in a 35, but we weren't even close to the posted speed limit.
"Do you have any idea how fast you were going!?!? 7! 7 miles per hour!!!" (Black Sheep Quote)