5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5sp bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

5sp bearings

I guess it was just a matter of time, last oil change I had a month ago the guy at the lube joint told me I had some oil sweating from the tranny of my 00 se. I didt think much of it. BUt yesterday, it started whining in 1st and 2nd. Its making the same sound as if I am going in reverse really quick. Looked underneath, oil was pouring out, so I went to this shop nearby so I can get a good look underneath. the underside of the tranny was covered in oil and dripping but I couldnt tell from where, so he pushed up on the axle alittle, and oil started pouring and theres at least 1/2" of play. As soon as that happened he said my bearings went out and I need a new tranny.

Now I read here that someone just replaced the bearings for about 300 or something? Or do I really need a new tranny? TIA
Old 09-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone feel like chiming in?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:45 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

I had the exact same problem, it's the differential bearings. You will likely need a new transmission because there is probably lots of pieces of metal floating around inside that have worn away at the rest of the transmission. I had it replaced under warranty with a brand new 2001 transmission when I had 59500 miles.

I hear the 2001 trannys have this problem fixed. I would recommend you pickup a low mileage used 2001 transmission from a junk yard. Try car-part.com.

If your mileage is low enough and you get it fixed at the dealer, nissan might do a goodwill warranty and pay for at least part of it since this is a fairly well documented defect.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, i took the car in to nissan yesterday, its $170 diagnosis fee, which is refundable if I get it fixed there. Today, she calls me up and says i need an entire set of wheel bearings. She says that the tech says it was driven with no oil, which is part true, cause I drove it to the dealership, but the other thing he says is that it was overfilled with fluid. Im not sure how he came to that conclusion, but it wasnt filled after it leaked out. So now, shes quoting me 1700+tax for the repair. I asked her how much parts cost, she said about $300. So theyre getting about 1400 in labor. I was like wtf, and hung up. Now Im thinking about getting it towed to aamco. What do you guys think?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by will917
Well, i took the car in to nissan yesterday, its $170 diagnosis fee, which is refundable if I get it fixed there. Today, she calls me up and says i need an entire set of wheel bearings. She says that the tech says it was driven with no oil, which is part true, cause I drove it to the dealership, but the other thing he says is that it was overfilled with fluid. Im not sure how he came to that conclusion, but it wasnt filled after it leaked out. So now, shes quoting me 1700+tax for the repair. I asked her how much parts cost, she said about $300. So theyre getting about 1400 in labor. I was like wtf, and hung up. Now Im thinking about getting it towed to aamco. What do you guys think?
So they don't want to give a new tranny...? Unfortunately these things are incredibly labor intensive
Old 09-21-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm needing a caw

http://www.motorvate.ca/ $1700 is about right if they take the tranny out/in. Probably a few hundred high but not unusal.

You could also get a low miler used tranny if you can find out. Canadian 5-sp w/ lsd baby
Old 09-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It is likely to be the same either way since most of the expense is getting the tranny out. I would think that the rebuild costs what a used tranny costs - but might be wrong.

Since I have my tranny off . . . does anyone know how I would go about testing the bearings to see if they are ok??
Old 09-21-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well you could shove the axle back and and move it up/down. Note how much it moves. More than a few 1/6"s or so and the bearings are probably shot. Or look at the link I posted. You have to crack open the case and inspect the bearings. Or peer in each side I guess.

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
It is likely to be the same either way since most of the expense is getting the tranny out. I would think that the rebuild costs what a used tranny costs - but might be wrong.

Since I have my tranny off . . . does anyone know how I would go about testing the bearings to see if they are ok??
Old 09-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
http://www.motorvate.ca/ $1700 is about right if they take the tranny out/in. Probably a few hundred high but not unusal.

You could also get a low miler used tranny if you can find out. Canadian 5-sp w/ lsd baby
I heard of some people blowing their axles after switching to a lsd with a non lsd car, something about the cars computer not measuring right or something, could be wrong though.

Yeah, it is pretty much the same cost. Nissan service adv, quoted me 1680 for a used tranny, 30 day warranty; and 1700 for changing the differential bearings(I dont know how long the warranty is for this), or 3200 for a brand new tranny with a one year warranty.

so by changing the bearings, would they actually be rebuilding the tranny? And what kind of warranty comes with that?

Im speaking to nissan usa trying to get them to cover at least some part of it, so far they said it is a longshot because I bought it used, and I havent had the car maintained at nissan stealerships.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm needing a caw

I heard of some people blowing their axles after switching to a lsd with a non lsd car, something about the cars computer not measuring right or something, could be wrong though.
Um what?? Doesn't make any sense unless you can provide me some links here.

Yeah, it is pretty much the same cost. Nissan service adv, quoted me 1680 for a used tranny, 30 day warranty; and 1700 for changing the differential bearings(I dont know how long the warranty is for this), or 3200 for a brand new tranny with a one year warranty.

so by changing the bearings, would they actually be rebuilding the tranny?

Im speaking to nissan usa trying to get them to cover at least some part of it, so far they said it is a longshot because I bought it used, and I havent had the car maintained at nissan stealerships.
Way too much. I'd try to get a quote from a bone yard. Used trannies should be in the $500-$800 price range. Getting an used tranny from Nissan is like raping yourself.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A nissan tech at the stealership told me that putting an lsd diff on a non lsd car isnt wise cause the axles line up differently. Im not really sure what he said cause I was steaming from their repair quotes. He was probably your run of the mill idiot whose talking out his *** about something he really doeant know much about.

As far as the used tranny Im not so sure I want a used one with an unknown history and have to go through this again anytime soon.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

I believe you might need one or both axles that are for the LSD equipped tranny but that's about it.

A nissan tech at the stealership told me that putting an lsd diff on a non lsd car isnt wise cause the axles line up differently. Im not really sure what he said cause I was steaming from their repair quotes. He was probably your run of the mill idiot whose talking out his *** about something he really doeant know much about.

As far as the used tranny Im not so sure I want a used one with an unknown history and have to go through this again anytime soon.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I've got the tranny out, should I change the seals?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:16 PM
It's business time.

If I've got the tranny out, should I change the seals?
Are you hijacking or are you trying to have this coincide with the original posters thread?

Anyway, the easy way / expensive way is to just have the dealer replace it. Or you can do some serious searches of junk yards (i.e. junkyarddog.com) and take it to a reputable shop to install (Aamco?).

GL
Old 09-22-2004, 07:31 AM

I just had this done only yesterday at a place called Fix N Fuel in Bloomfield, NJ. They even put in a new clutch in addition to the bearings. Total charge: $1450. Let me know if you want their phone number.

BTW, my clutch is so soft again and without the whining, I can actually hear my exhaust (sounds sweet).