5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

If I've had my Max in the shop 5 times for the same thing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 05:45 PM

If I've had my Max in the shop 5 times for the same thing...

and they can't seem to get the problem fixed, should they just be able to tell me "too bad"? My Bose system has given me nothing but headaches for the last year and a half, and took it in while it was still under warranty the 1st time. The rear speakers were cutting out, and only seemed to work at VERY high volume. So to make a long story short, have had it back at the dealer a total of 5 times for this problem, which they have never fixed. They have worked on it twice out of warranty now but say they will do no more.

Shouldn't this be the dealers problem (or Nissans really) since they never fixed the problem to begin with?!
Old 09-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

from my experience with warranty (electronics), it HAS to be able to be repaired. if they tried to do something in warranty, a bench warranty would go into effect to make sure that the repair would hold. depending on how long that bench warranty is, each of your repairs woulda been covered...but even if you paid for each of them, they HAVE to fix it (my experience with electronics, again). even with $15,000 plasmas, if we cant repair it, in or out of warranty, we have to replace it.

nissan and/or the dealer SHOULD do something. call nissan of america, if you cant get anything out of the service manager. i know they wont replace a car for a faulty Bose system (though they have been replaced before for less), but they do have to fix it.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:54 PM

They have replaced the head unit 3 times, did something with the wiring once, and replaced the amp on this last attempt. I had to sign a form that said "Customer retention" for the amp replacement. The service advisor said it would have been over $450 if I would have had to pay for it myself. He also said that he "had a really hard time getting this one through under warranty" and that it would be the last thing they would do for me without charging me. I think they are just annoyed with me but I refuse to stop til its fixed!
Old 09-19-2004, 06:17 PM

I thought the purpose of a warranty was to insure that all the covered parts would be fixed/replaced if they were to fail. I think Nissan has a different definition of warranty because it seems like most people here (myself included) get the run around every time they bring their car in for service on items covered in the waranty
Old 09-19-2004, 06:27 PM

I have been treated rather well up until the 5th attempt...the service advisor definitely had a different tone this time. Who exactly should I contact if I get the runaround when I call him back again tomorrow?
Old 09-19-2004, 06:35 PM

you should call nissan of america. actually, first go back to the service department, speak with him, and if he gives you attitude or says there is nothing they can do, just CALMLY explain to him that its not your fault that the stereo keeps failing, you understand that they are trying to repair it, but you need something done because you cant keep missing work and giving up time to come down here. make it seem like you are grateful for their attempts, but you shouldnt be held responsible for their stuff not working.

if you STILL get an attitude, gather all your service records and call Nissan of america.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:38 PM

are you taking it to hummel's? i only ask because i've had decent luck w/ them (as far as dealers go.)
Old 09-19-2004, 06:39 PM

I am kinda in the same situation as you....supposedly they have a new bose head unit on order for me. I posted the story in the bad dealerships thread and I am just waiting now. Hopefully everything gets straightened out and my cd player works like it's supposed to. If not I am trying another local dealership that I heard is a lot better (fingers crossed) and if I still got a problem I am going to call Nissan, higher up the chain. I think it is bs that these guys treat people like they do. I am still kinda shocked but I know the nature of service department now and will most likely have to fight a battle with them to get work done. Hello, you are the service department, you fix cars, that is your job, please fix mine
Old 09-19-2004, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ihavea5spd
are you taking it to hummel's? i only ask because i've had decent luck w/ them (as far as dealers go.)
Yep it's Hummels and they have been great with everything up until this last go-round. I have had other problems and they have been very helpful...that's why I am a little frustrated that I got some attitude the last time. I am sure that I seem like a pain in the rear to them, but hey, it isn't my fault it hasn't been fixed yet. We will see how it goes.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:54 PM

It also isn't your fault these people work in the SERVICE DEPARTMENT. Dealing with customers and getting cars fixed is in their job description. I understand that at times they get busy/stressed but they shouldn't lose focus of what they are there to do. If they can't honor a warranty then they shouldn't be selling them
Old 09-19-2004, 07:05 PM

If the problem had occurred AFTER the 3/36 warranty, I could understand, but the first, second, and third times I had the problem were under warranty. So the problem continues after the warranty has expired, but that should make no difference. Like I should have parked the car when it hit 35,999 miles just in case the radio crapped out again!
Old 09-19-2004, 07:11 PM

Yeah I agree too with what you're saying about the mileage. They told me that I was over warranty by 12 miles, I was at 36,012. But when I first went in there a week and a half ago to make the appointment, I was way under still. Is it my fault they couldn't make it sooner, should I have just parked my car and had it towed there? Anyway I have the 6yr 100k warranty and they still treated me like shiite.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:57 PM

Per my dealer, any replaced Bose component is warranted for 12k after a previous install regardless of whether you're still under warranty. Just had mine replaced for the 3rd time for free and I'm outside of warranty coverage.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:23 AM

Aftermarket Anyone?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:40 AM
Mass_Media™

I heard from someone that if you take a car in 3 times for the same thing and the car is under warrenty that they have to give you a new car. I don't know if it works for audio stuff but my mom took her 2k4 expoditon in to the Ford dealership because the 'check fuel cap' light came on. The thrid time we took it in they didn't give it back for like 2 weeks. They replaced the fuel tank and the computer and some o rings. Thats what I have heard....and dont make fun of me because of my spelling
Old 09-20-2004, 07:49 AM

Of course it has to be fixed. Their incompetence is a not an excuse. Contact nissan headquarters or nissan of america or whomever it is and demand satisfaction.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mass_Media
I heard from someone that if you take a car in 3 times for the same thing and the car is under warrenty that they have to give you a new car.
And if your college roommate dies, you get straight A's for every semester. lol

I dunno if they give you a new car, but this sounds like its flirting with lemon law... Although with audio, it might not be covered. Because they can always say "you keep turning it too loud" or whatever BS they make up. I think you should go in again, and remind them that it is your 6th visit for the same thing, and ask to speak with a manager, and discuss what could be done to remedy the situation. At the Manager level, they'll pretty much give in to anything with enough pressure.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:17 AM

I have a call into the dealer as we speak...they are going to get get back to me after they do some "research." So we will see what they come back with. I might suggest replacing my 2k1 with a 2k5 as soon as they come out, free of charge of course under the lemon law! Actually I really like my AE, just not all of the problems I have had with it.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SKYRockerr
Aftermarket Anyone?
I would MUCH rather do aftermarket...but only if Nissan would pay for it. Like I said before, it isn't my deal that they can't seem to get it fixed. Think they would be up for that?
Old 09-20-2004, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Irl4512
I would MUCH rather do aftermarket...but only if Nissan would pay for it. Like I said before, it isn't my deal that they can't seem to get it fixed. Think they would be up for that?

absolutely not, I highly doubt they'd pay for an aftermarket stereo and install it.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:53 AM

1-800-nissan-1

had to this number a few times. if you don't like the persons answer, ask for a supervisor. good luck man.

-chris
Old 09-20-2004, 01:01 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Just wanted to add that most lemon laws have a proviso similar to "the defect must substantially impair your ability to safely operate and drive the vehicle"

Engine, transmission, differential, frame, etc. Very rarely radio, trim pieces, etc. will be approved.

BTW -- They're not obligated to "buy you a new car" at all, even if they buy yours back (they're not really "buying" it back, they're taking over the payments/cancelling the lease or refunding the vehicle's retail cash value if you own it)
Old 09-20-2004, 01:13 PM

I think that KCM outlined the correct approach. Make sure that you're polite and point out that all you are asking for is for Nissan to make the the item work properly. Also make sure that you have all of the dates that work was done on the unit so that if you end up writing to Nissan you have all of the dates correct.

Peabody
Old 09-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Mass_Media™

I have a call into the dealer as we speak...they are going to get get back to me after they do some "research." So we will see what they come back with. I might suggest replacing my 2k1 with a 2k5 as soon as they come out, free of charge of course under the lemon law! Actually I really like my AE, just not all of the problems I have had with it.
Never hurts to talk to them. I just talked to my mom during luch she got her warrenty extended to 7 year 100,000mile warranty. But again your is audio so....don't know about that.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ryans Maxima
absolutely not, I highly doubt they'd pay for an aftermarket stereo and install it.
I didnt honestly think they would pay for it...just a joke. But with the amount of time/parts, etc. that they are putting into this mess, they just as well have. And I never got the call back from the dealer today...so I will be calling them again in the morning. They have definitely been very polite with me so far, and I have been the same with them. So no reason to get upset...yet.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If they can't fix the problem within three tries, get a lawyer. They have to buy the car back under the lemon law.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by paralyse
Just wanted to add that most lemon laws have a proviso similar to "the defect must substantially impair your ability to safely operate and drive the vehicle"

Engine, transmission, differential, frame, etc. Very rarely radio, trim pieces, etc. will be approved.

BTW -- They're not obligated to "buy you a new car" at all, even if they buy yours back (they're not really "buying" it back, they're taking over the payments/cancelling the lease or refunding the vehicle's retail cash value if you own it)

My situation would obviously not apply.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:20 AM

Update!

So I never heard back from Nissan on Monday, so I called them back today. To make another long story short, they basically told me that I would have to take it to a place that specializes in radio repair, pay for them to diagnose the problem, and then they will "try to work with me" to get whatever the problem is fixed. So now they want me to spend $ out of my pocket for something that was originally under warranty but was never fixed! They said if the problem relates to something they had tried to fix (in their 5 attmepts), then they will reimburse me for the diagnosis. What should I do?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:39 AM

So I never heard back from Nissan on Monday, so I called them back today. To make another long story short, they basically told me that I would have to take it to a place that specializes in radio repair, pay for them to diagnose the problem, and then they will "try to work with me" to get whatever the problem is fixed. So now they want me to spend $ out of my pocket for something that was originally under warranty but was never fixed! They said if the problem relates to something they had tried to fix (in their 5 attmepts), then they will reimburse me for the diagnosis. What should I do?
Personally, I would try to find a friend with some radio knowledge to help you track down the problem. Obviously the dealership you are working with is inept to fix your problem. This could be as simply as a bad cable which will cost you $5 and a few hours of your time. If you have a new amp and you have a new headunit and you still have the problem, it has to be a connection whether it is a poor sodder in the radio or bad crimp in a cable. DONT go back to that dealership. I have made it a pact that I will never return to a nissan dealership out of warranty, you will probably get the job done cheaper and better without the hassle at a Pop&Son shop that is located right in your town.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:24 AM

Final Update!!!

This whole thing is just funny. Took my car into the stereo shop...they couldn't replicate the problem. I explained again to the repairman what had been happening, and he said it sounded like an amp problem. So he looked at the amp in the trunk, messed with it a little, then followed the wires out of the amp that run along the back seat/front of trunk and came to a white clamp. When he touched that clamp it fell apart...clamped it back together and fixed the problem COMPLETELY!

So Nissan spent over $1,000 on my stereo (2 new head units, new amp, and supposedly checked over the wiring) for no good reason, and I spent over a year and a half with a huge annoyance all because of a stupid wiring clamp.

Foolish.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:24 PM

Could you clarify what you mean by a white clamp? Was it a ground for the amp or a point where wires were spliced? Any pic of the spot? Just curious.

BTW - You had different symptoms than the TSB addresses since both your rear speakers were out. This isn't likely anyone else's problem who has cut out on just one side.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:31 PM

I dont have pictures yet...haven't gone to pick it up. It was a speaker wire clamp. The guy who fixed it was shocked that there was even one there...said the wires usually just run from the amp directly to the speakers. If you had your trunk open, follow the wiring out of the back of the amp towards the driver side of the trunk...you will find a white clamp directly behind the drivers side back seat (behind the "carpeting"). That's the one.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:52 PM
teddibear703

HEY! my front right speaker does that too!!! lol... its off until i turn it up really loud, then it turns on and i can lower the volume and have that speaker remain on...
Old 09-28-2004, 12:53 PM

Check the clamps and save yourself some time!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:55 PM
teddibear703

can u post a picture of the white clamp and exactly where it is in the car? My front right speaker goes in and out and would be great if i could fix that...
Old 09-28-2004, 12:57 PM

Like I said I don't have the car back yet (tomorrow at the latest) and my problem was with the rear speakers anyway. I will see what I can do once I get the car back. If all else fails, just follow the wiring and see what you can find!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:59 PM
teddibear703

thanks, when u get the car back, can u post a pic of the clamp? Maybe there's a clamp for each speaker... hopefully i can find it... u said its under the driver seat?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:38 AM

Ok, here are some pictures of what I am talking about. You should be able to figure out where this is pretty easily. In the trunk, right above the pass-through opening behind the rear drivers side seat...but like I said, this clip was only for the rear speakers.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:07 PM
teddibear703

is that white clip in the trunk? doh, i cant really access my trunkl....
Old 09-29-2004, 03:21 PM

Yep, trunk. Got something in the way? See if you can get to it through the back seat.