5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bounced off the rev limiter ,damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 11:15 AM

Bounced off the rev limiter ,damage?

Today when i was driving on the highway coming to the off ramp, i was doing about 65 mph i was in 3rd(automatic) i accidently hit the lever into 2nd. And the revs flew to the red line and bounced off a few times. Car did a hard lurch like i was engine braking, quickly threw it back into 3rd. Car seems normal just when i got out after driving it and shut her off it was making those strange pinging noises like when you drive a car hard then get out, you hear those weird noises. Do you guys think i did damage to the tranny?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Stev02

I'm no professional, but if this is the first time, you should be fine. I have a manual and I went into second gear by accident one time and I just hit the redline and then I slammed it into neutral, then into the gear I should have went to (we all do it once). The VQ's are bricks!!

Old 10-07-2004, 11:41 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I accidently downshifted into 2nd going from 6th to 4th and bounced my rev limiter, no problems afterwards.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:44 AM

i blew two of my coil packs when i had a miss-shift.not saying thats what made it blow but my ses light came on almost instantly after that happend. i would not recommend doing it everyday thats for sure but when i was younger i used to do burnouts with my vtec powered accord with the needle bouncing off the rev limiter all the time...and she ran like a champ
Old 10-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was talking to someone who did 3rd-2nd at redline by accident and blew his motor... I wouldn't say the VQ's a "brick"...
Old 10-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MAX0830
i blew two of my coil packs when i had a miss-shift.not saying thats what made it blow but my ses light came on almost instantly after that happend. i would not recommend doing it everyday thats for sure but when i was younger i used to do burnouts with my vtec powered accord with the needle bouncing off the rev limiter all the time...and she ran like a champ
Who knows, if the coils were that close to blowing... the vibration and/or extra demands of high-RPM operation could have thrown them over the edge.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:25 PM

I've done at the track and i have a auto(accidently shifted into Nuetral)and with a supercharger and have no damage.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:28 PM

You're definately going faster than 65mph to be bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd gear
Old 10-07-2004, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
I was talking to someone who did 3rd-2nd at redline by accident and blew his motor... I wouldn't say the VQ's a "brick"...

thats because on most cars the rev limiter only stops the rpm when you are say taking whatever gear you are in to redline. When you mis-shift from say second to third the rev limiter doe nothing and the rpms fly past it. One of the turbo or s/c guys did it and his e-manage or something said it was at like 9or 10k rpm's. I have a s/c and hit the rev limiter several times and there is nothing to worry about. Just when the needle passes the rev limiter its pretty much over.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Pizda Boy

i've done it many times.... having an autotragic 4th gen my car doesn't like to downshift by itself when i drive around the city... so i just keep driving in 2nd most of the time (spd limit 25mph) . . .when I get on the highway with the music turned up, i forget that i'm in 2nd and just keep going until i feel that the car's not accelerating anymore... i look at the speedo & the rev limiter is just dancing around there... happened to me about 4-5 times and no problems yet....

VQ is a very strong engine.... i drive my car pretty hard on a daily basis... 135,000 miles & going stronger than ever...
Old 10-07-2004, 01:19 PM

I'll let you knowif anything funky happens on the way home today from work. Thanks for all your responses.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by spirilis
Even a brick will fail at 9000 RPMs -which is where a shift from 3rd to 2nd will take you if you are at 6500 RPMs in third gear and bang into second- I would like
Man, he's got one helluva strong (and insensitive) shifting arm/hand to drag the shift lever into second at those RPMs...I ga-ron-tee there was a lot of resistance from trying to get 2nd gear spun up to those RPMs..dem synchros were hurtin'

To answer the question of hititng the rev limiter doing damage, the answer is 'no', that's what it's there for.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:51 PM

I think we've all done that a few times, if not many times (purposely for a major boost or just by mistake). It shouldnt cause damage at all. Its not the best thing to do on a daily basis just as mentioned above but it happens, not to worry about it. As far as the VQ engines - they are bulit strong like bricks, but there is always some that dont last as long just like anything else and esp with cars. Also how the car is driven over time has alot to do with it well, if you beat on your car day in and day out, dont be surprised when the engine or tranny gives out. Its just common sense!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:32 PM

Umm... hey... How did you get an auto to shift down at that speed? Its elecronic control should have kept it in 3rd. At least all the autos I've driven do that...
Old 10-07-2004, 03:02 PM
mjg

what's the big deal? i hit the rev limiter now and then. That's what the rev limiter is for, to protect the engine.

I mean, it's not the ned of the world, or even a major concern. Constantly doing it is just not good.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:18 PM

yeah im pretty sure that the rev limiter is on there so that you dont break anything.........that is why it limits the rpm........right??? i dont thing that any of the motor or trans mounts like bouncing around that much but its there to keep you from breaking things, i mean ts is coming out with an ecm that will raise the redline to like 7200 i think, so obviously 6500 is not to hard on the engine.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:57 PM

yeah buddy redline for 2nd gear is def around 76 mph.. so you must have been going faster

i ahve hit the limiter going from 1st to 2nd a few times its rather scary but nothing happens its just shutting off fuel and then turning it on.. but im not so sure about 3rd to 2nd but if you were going slower than 70 you prob didnt hit the limiter. even tho the Revs will FLY right to around 6000.. so you must have still been accelerating
Old 10-07-2004, 09:18 PM

Nothing suxs more than hitting the rev limiter while getting off the gas...that loud BANG was enough to make my hood latch lock in place for a couple days that I couldn't open my hood.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Hibernating...

Originally Posted by Galo
I ga-ron-tee there was a lot of resistance from trying to get 2nd gear spun up to those RPMs..dem synchros were hurtin'

To answer the question of hititng the rev limiter doing damage, the answer is 'no', that's what it's there for.
Not quite correct. Unlike when hitting the rev limiter from below as you would during acceleration, the rev limiter will NOT keep your engine from over revving when you accidentally shift into a lower gear while at speed. Sure, the rev limiter will do it's job of cutting fuel and spark, but the gear ratio of the lower gear you just shifted to will force the engine towards the RPMs that correspond to the gear ratio and speed you're travelling. Depending on the severity of the over revving you can definitely cause damage to your engine.