5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Everyone Who Bought the D2 Coilovers Please Comment Inside.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 04:18 PM

Everyone Who Bought the D2 Coilovers Please Comment Inside.

Since the GD forum turned into an informational forum in the end and then died. I thought I would start this one to help us who bought out.

I really didn't know where to set this so I just did it then adjusted them. I ended up compressing my spring about a half inch by turning the bottom nut. Mike at Urban Import said to leave an inch gap where the spring is actually loose when off the car is what people where doing. I guess I was under the impression that the spring should at least be tight. I like how my car sets now. Anyways.

What I would like to get started is response in two areas.

1. How did you set your springs as far as before installation with compression?

2. What setting on the shock did you find best for everyday driving?

Thanks and lets make this an informative thread.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:48 PM
Need A Light?

I stretched out my springs to give me the maximum suspension travel.....and I set mine to 1/1 for daily driving....and 36/36 for racing....
Old 10-13-2004, 08:06 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by steven88
I stretched out my springs to give me the maximum suspension travel.....and I set mine to 1/1 for daily driving....and 36/36 for racing....
Where are you getting these numbers? Mine have 4 marks on the dial. I actually count the number of turns of the ****.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:09 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by oakes57
Since the GD forum turned into an informational forum in the end and then died. I thought I would start this one to help us who bought out.

I really didn't know where to set this so I just did it then adjusted them. I ended up compressing my spring about a half inch by turning the bottom nut. Mike at Urban Import said to leave an inch gap where the spring is actually loose when off the car is what people where doing. I guess I was under the impression that the spring should at least be tight. I like how my car sets now. Anyways.

What I would like to get started is response in two areas.

1. How did you set your springs as far as before installation with compression?

2. What setting on the shock did you find best for everyday driving?

Thanks and lets make this an informative thread.
Mine are set so that the collar comes up to the bottom of the spring and is just snug when the car is raised up. My settings on dampening are, turn **** all the way towards "L" until it stops. Then Turn towards "H" one complete turn of the ****. My ride is better than stock and since the springs have settled, the ride is very plush. I really don't feel like the car is lowered until I cross railroad tracks or fly around a sharp curve going 80.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by skalberti
Where are you getting these numbers? Mine have 4 marks on the dial. I actually count the number of turns of the ****.
He is reffering to a post in the group deal where someone reffered to 36 "clicks" either way he means all the way either direction.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Need A Light?

Yes Oakes57 is correct....I set mine to either all the way stiff....or all the way soft.....to me its not worth going in between....cuz when I wanna race....I do it the right way and crank that stiffness up so I can get a bomb launch.....and when I go daily driving I like mine real soft....plus I don't bottom out even on the softest setting becuz these coilovers give me maximum suspension travel.....I can slam this thing to the floor and my suspension travel will still stay the same....this thing is awesome....I highly recommend D2 coilovers
Old 10-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by steven88
Yes Oakes57 is correct....I set mine to either all the way stiff....or all the way soft.....to me its not worth going in between....cuz when I wanna race....I do it the right way and crank that stiffness up so I can get a bomb launch.....and when I go daily driving I like mine real soft....plus I don't bottom out even on the softest setting becuz these coilovers give me maximum suspension travel.....I can slam this thing to the floor and my suspension travel will still stay the same....this thing is awesome....I highly recommend D2 coilovers
and exactly what kind of noises are your coilovers making?
Old 10-16-2004, 06:03 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i have enough preload on my springs so there is a 1-1.5 inch gap from the top of the spring to the bottom of the top plate when the car is completely jacked up. My clearance from bottom of dust boot to the dual plates is about 6-6.5 inches IIRC

I have the rears set at 20 turns from the lowest setting and the fronts at 5 turns from the lowest setting
Old 10-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Need A Light?

Lumbee1 - At first my car made an awful clanking noise everytime I turn the steering wheel at 5mph.....I know for a fact a few other members experienced this....but the fix for this problem is real easy....well I dont know if it applies to everybody.....but it applied for me...

All I did was I loosen the top pillowball mount NUT and re tighten it expect this time not as tight as it was stock....but still a snug fit....then sprayed a bunch of silicon spray on the nut and below the nut.....went to a local parking lot and turned the wheel about 10 times left and right until the noise was completely gone.....it will gradually go away so make sure after u do this procedure, you break in the lubricant by steering left and right alot....the noise will eventually go away after awhile....mine is completely gone as of today *knock on wood*....