5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car won't start after clutch replacement and tranny seal question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Car won't start after clutch replacement and tranny seal question

Ok. need some help.

I finally finished the clutch replacement but I can't get the car to start.

I've got everything back together again but when I tried to start the car up it turns over but won't catch.

It appears that everything required to get the starter to turn over is fine since the starter is going. That should mean the grounds are correct, the starter connections are ok, and the connectors are attached properly. Is it possible that there is still a problem with the starter even if it is turning over?

Any thoughts?

The items I can think of are the air intake system, the fuel system and the computer system.

All portions of my cai are properly attached and the connector is attached. I can smell fuel after attempting to start several times so I presume that there is no problem with the fuel.

The only thing I can think of is that during one of the hurricanes here in Florida a lot of moisture got in my garage - the starter and crank position sensor were sitting out. Could moisture have damages one or the other?

ALSO - I'm not sure I have the driver's side axle properly seated. I replaced the tranny seals (don't ask me why - it just caused me problems). Does anyone know if you should be able to see any of the seal once the axle is in?

thanks in advance!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:49 AM

im thinking crank position sensor...
Old 10-19-2004, 08:05 AM
drag racing is for wussies

Pull the plugs out, and dry them out. Reinstall them, put your foot on the gas pedal all the way to the floor and HOLD it. Crank the engine over and it should fire up and run really rough till it clears itself out. What happened is your engine got flooded with gas- like a lawn mover n such small engines tend to do. When you nail the gas pedal all the way down and crank it- that puts the ECU into CLEAR FLOOD MODE, and it will not squirt any fuel via injectors into the combustion chambers. It will only initiate spark. After it starts to run, you will need to rev it up a few times to basically "clear its throat out" I think its this cause you said you smell fuel, which automatically would throw a red flag for me if I was the person diagnosing the car.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:44 AM

thanks for your help - as usual.

if i have let the car sit for a while, would it work to just floor it and crank without drying the plugs?

also, is there a way to test the crank pos sensor?
Old 10-19-2004, 08:51 AM

Crank position sensor has a wave pattern, and best way of checking it is on a oscilicsope to make sure the pattern looks good. Unless you damaged yours in the process, there should be no problem. You didn't install any light weight flywheel or anything like that on the car ? When installing a Fidanza flywheel, you need to remove the crank position sensor relluctor wheel off the off flywheel on the new one or you will have nasty problems later- removing the tranny and all to reinstall that wheel on the back of the new flywheel. You could try flooring the gas pedal without letting the plugs dry, sometimes it works sometimes it don't. It won't hurt to try it.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:21 AM

i didnt replace the flywheel but did remove it and have it resurfaced.

The only ring that was there was on the clutch side of the flywheel - between the bolts holding the flywheel to the engine and the flywheel.

So, guess i'll try the flooring thing. thanks.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:32 AM

This might be a longshot, but did u put all the bolts back in the tranny bellhousing. I had one missing when I did mine, which cause my car to turn over forever before starting. The simple fix was to order a new bolt from DAVEB and install it, fixed the problem.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:26 AM

I believe so. There was the starter bolt, the shifter brace bolt (or whatever you call it), I think three along the bottom, four up top and then the one I had to access from the passenger wheel well. I'll check my fsm diagram to see if I got them all.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
I believe so. There was the starter bolt, the shifter brace bolt (or whatever you call it), I think three along the bottom, four up top and then the one I had to access from the passenger wheel well. I'll check my fsm diagram to see if I got them all.
There are 2 bolts for the starter, a long and a short. The one that was giving me troble was left of the starter about 1 inch. I had to order this bolt from DaveB because I lost it. It solved my starting problem. Also, you might want to clean off the the CPS, mine had gathered quite a bit of metallic debris on it.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MAX2000JP
There are 2 bolts for the starter, a long and a short. The one that was giving me troble was left of the starter about 1 inch. I had to order this bolt from DaveB because I lost it. It solved my starting problem. Also, you might want to clean off the the CPS, mine had gathered quite a bit of metallic debris on it.
You are right - there are two on the starter. Both of those are there. Maybe I need to check and see if I've got the right bolts in the right holes???? I presume the one left of the starter was the short bolt and the other one was the long bolt??

Cleaning the cps is on my list. I just left it the way I found it when I put it in. I figured if it worked before . . .

thanks
Old 10-19-2004, 11:18 AM

You are right - there are two on the starter. Both of those are there. Maybe I need to check and see if I've got the right bolts in the right holes???? I presume the one left of the starter was the short bolt and the other one was the long bolt??

Cleaning the cps is on my list. I just left it the way I found it when I put it in. I figured if it worked before . . .

thanks
The chances are you have got them in the right holes. The bolt closest to the firewall is real long and doesn't have threads all the way down the bolt. The left one is a shorter one, so you really cannot mix them up. The bolt that I am talking about isn't part of the starter assembly, but rather a hole in the bellhousing. It is about 1" to the left of the starter(left bolt). I think that not having this bolt caused a bad ground between the tranny bellhousing and the engine block. My engine would start, but would crank for a real long time before catching. Also, make sure all the bolts are snug. Like I said, it could be a longshot, but it's a real simple fix if it works.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by MAX2000JP
The chances are you have got them in the right holes. The bolt closest to the firewall is real long and doesn't have threads all the way down the bolt. The left one is a shorter one, so you really cannot mix them up. The bolt that I am talking about isn't part of the starter assembly, but rather a hole in the bellhousing. It is about 1" to the left of the starter(left bolt). I think that not having this bolt caused a bad ground between the tranny bellhousing and the engine block. My engine would start, but would crank for a real long time before catching. Also, make sure all the bolts are snug. Like I said, it could be a longshot, but it's a real simple fix if it works.
Ok. I have them in the correct holes for sure. I recall that now.

Also, I'm sure I have that bolt just to the left of the starter - I missed that one when I was taking them out!

All bolts are torqued to spec and threadlocked - wasn't sure whether to threadlock or not but figure that would keep any from vibrating out and thought I saw some threadlock on the bolts I took out.

I wonder - is it possible that the threadlock caused a ground problem??
Old 10-19-2004, 01:33 PM

Ok. I have them in the correct holes for sure. I recall that now.

Also, I'm sure I have that bolt just to the left of the starter - I missed that one when I was taking them out!

All bolts are torqued to spec and threadlocked - wasn't sure whether to threadlock or not but figure that would keep any from vibrating out and thought I saw some threadlock on the bolts I took out.

I wonder - is it possible that the threadlock caused a ground problem??
I cannot answer if the threadlock will effect grounding. I know that my dealer told me to clean off the bolts and the holes/threads. Does the FSM recommend thread locker, I didn't use it.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:24 PM

im thinking crank position sensor...
My thoughts also
Old 10-19-2004, 04:32 PM

Have you tried kickn the throttle wide open and starting it like that ? Bolts have nothing to do with starting the car up. Can you hear the fuel pump working while trying to start it ? Pull the plugs out and inspect them for any fuel. I have started engines up with no trannies installed on them. Engine doesn't care if the tranny is there or not. I did a automatic to a 6spd manual conversion on a 00 Maxima and the fuel pump crapped out from sitting without it runing. Could be a fuel pump issue. Check your plugs, then try the wide open throttle start. Its something very simple.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Have you tried kickn the throttle wide open and starting it like that ? Bolts have nothing to do with starting the car up. Can you hear the fuel pump working while trying to start it ? Pull the plugs out and inspect them for any fuel. I have started engines up with no trannies installed on them. Engine doesn't care if the tranny is there or not. I did a automatic to a 6spd manual conversion on a 00 Maxima and the fuel pump crapped out from sitting without it runing. Could be a fuel pump issue. Check your plugs, then try the wide open throttle start. Its something very simple.
ding . . . ding. . . ding. . . We have a winner!

Tried your suggestion of flooring it and starting when I got home last night and it worked!

Guess it was just taking too long to start the day before and it flooded.

Of course, I also cleaned the crank pos and checked all the connections and grounds.

Thanks Blackbird - you da man!
Old 10-20-2004, 08:58 AM

No problem, Been in alot of diff situations after doing engine swaps n stuff like that so I know what are the eassiest things you can do to make an engine start
Old 10-28-2004, 05:51 AM

Followup - I now think my starter is bad.

When I try to start the starter is turning the motor over but on the first attempt I get the starter sound followed by a "clashing" sound just as the car wants to start. But it doesn't start. The sound is similar to when you attempt to start when the car is already on but different. I suspect the gear part of the starter is somehow stopping the engine from completely starting.

Then I'll have to try again a whole bunch of times to get it to start.

If I just keep cranking - the starter will go but it won't even come close to starting - basically nothing will happen. The only way it will start is if I do a quick burst from the starter and let off. If it is going to start it BARELY catches and starts. If it tries to start and I haven't let off on the starter I get something similar to the clashing sound.

But, I have to attempt that numerous times. During those attempts I will get that sound the starter solenoid makes when the grease is dried up inside (I had that before occasionally) - after I let off on the starter.

It is the starter, right?

Anyone know who sells starters for less than Nissan's $250? I guess a junkyard but not sure it's worth the savings. It is probably just the solenoid but I don't think they are sold sep. Guess I could try the rebuild.

thanks!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:28 PM

Followup - I now think my starter is bad.

When I try to start the starter is turning the motor over but on the first attempt I get the starter sound followed by a "clashing" sound just as the car wants to start. But it doesn't start. The sound is similar to when you attempt to start when the car is already on but different. I suspect the gear part of the starter is somehow stopping the engine from completely starting.

Then I'll have to try again a whole bunch of times to get it to start.

If I just keep cranking - the starter will go but it won't even come close to starting - basically nothing will happen. The only way it will start is if I do a quick burst from the starter and let off. If it is going to start it BARELY catches and starts. If it tries to start and I haven't let off on the starter I get something similar to the clashing sound.

But, I have to attempt that numerous times. During those attempts I will get that sound the starter solenoid makes when the grease is dried up inside (I had that before occasionally) - after I let off on the starter.

It is the starter, right?

Anyone know who sells starters for less than Nissan's $250? I guess a junkyard but not sure it's worth the savings. It is probably just the solenoid but I don't think they are sold sep. Guess I could try the rebuild.

thanks!
Thats what mine was doing before I replaced the bolt that was missing that I described above. I took the starter off and put in the bolt, everything went back to normal
Old 10-28-2004, 12:38 PM

Hmmm. I checked the bolts and they are tight.

I think I'm going to buy a new starter and when I take off the old one I'll check it and maybe reinstall and see if it works.

It needs the regreasing treatment anyway.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:30 AM

starter was bad. swapped it out for a napa $150 version.