5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Problem With Sunroof...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2001, 08:29 AM

Last night I was out. Had the sun roof completely open. Stopped to get some gas. When I get back in the car, the sunroof was 3/4 closed. I thought it was strange because I know I didn't close it.

So, I hit the sun roof (one touch) switch so that the sun roof would go back to being completely open. It only opened a 1/2 inch before stopping. I hit it again, only moved another 1/2". This time, I tried holding the button so that it would retract, still only another 1/2". It took about 6 pushes of the button to get the sunroof to completely open.

Then, I tried "one touch" closing the sun roof. Same result, movement in 1/2 inch increments. No one touch movement. No holding the switch to get the sun roof to completely closed.

Then I noticed something after closing the sunroof completely. If I hit the open/close switch (not the tilt switch) to the close direction after the sun roof has already been closed, the sun roof tilts upwards.

Now, I have used my sun roof quite a bit since I've had my car and I don't recall the sun roof tilting upwards after being in the completely closed position from the sun roof open/close switch.

Has anyone run into this problem?

It looks like I'll be paying Nissan Service another visit, which I'm not happy about because I don't like the thought of someone tooling around with the sun roof.

Oh gosh!
Old 04-15-2001, 08:34 AM

Wierd problem, probably something electrical. Is it an aftermarker sunroof? The factory sunroof doesn't have "one touch" option.
Old 04-15-2001, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
Wierd problem, probably something electrical. Is it an aftermarker sunroof? The factory sunroof doesn't have "one touch" option.

of course it does
Old 04-15-2001, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
Mine has 1 touch... :-)

(no I'm serious... it comes like that on ALL max's)

-Tom
Old 04-15-2001, 09:16 AM

It's a factory sunroof. And it definitely has one touch. Even if it didn't, I shouldn't be experiencing the problems with closing and opening it. I think it's an electrical/logic issue.

Hey, can someone try tilting their sunroof with the "close" switch with their sunroof closed to see if it will tilt upwards.

Note: I DO NOT assume responsibility for someone having a problem with their sun roof as a result of doing this!

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:17 AM

Here is a heads up, all the roof control (one touch open/close) is incorporated on the motor's circuit board, so if it's that that is gone, which sounds about right, then they have to change the entire motor. I thing some early 5th gens (june 1999 - oct 1999) had this issue, I rembember seeing similar threads.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by bert
Here is a heads up, all the roof control (one touch open/close) is incorporated on the motor's circuit board, so if it's that that is gone, which sounds about right, then they have to change the entire motor. I thing some early 5th gens (june 1999 - oct 1999) had this issue, I rembember seeing similar threads.
That's fine. Because if that's the case, I'm getting rid of my Maxima. I refuse to put up with a refurbished sunroof on a car that's only a year old.
Old 04-15-2001, 10:13 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by OnyxMaximus

That's fine. Because if that's the case, I'm getting rid of my Maxima. I refuse to put up with a refurbished sunroof on a car that's only a year old.
I think they will only replace the motor, not the entire sunroof itself....
Old 04-15-2001, 10:20 AM

I was just outside fiddling with the sunroof. I had it all the way open. Tried messing with the tilt button. The tilt down/close button now tries to close the sunroof. It only moves in 1" increments. Same as the full function open/close sun roof button. If I hit the tilt up/open button it tries to retract the sunroof. the only way it works properly is if the sunroof is completely closed. Something is is definitely wrong.

I purchased my car used two months ago. It makes me wonder if the original owner sold/traded the car back to Nissan because of the quality issues, e.g. creaks and rattles, sunroof, paint, etc.
Old 04-15-2001, 10:20 AM

Sorry, guys, for some reason I thought we didn't have "one touch" option. Good luck with the fix, like others said, it's probably just an electrical problem.
Old 04-15-2001, 12:21 PM

I had this exact problem also. It is the circuit board that controls the sunroof. They should replace the motor/control board assembly. No problems since, and that was about 9 months ago.

Sidenote: some other people in the group had this problem a while back. I told the dealer the solution, but it still took them 3 visits to fix something that should have been fixed in 1 visit in less than an hour. They ended up stealing a part from a new car on the lot to fix mine. Typical dealership incompetence.

Good luck,
Kevin
Old 04-15-2001, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by MaximaKev
I had this exact problem also. It is the circuit board that controls the sunroof. They should replace the motor/control board assembly. No problems since, and that was about 9 months ago.

Sidenote: some other people in the group had this problem a while back. I told the dealer the solution, but it still took them 3 visits to fix something that should have been fixed in 1 visit in less than an hour. They ended up stealing a part from a new car on the lot to fix mine. Typical dealership incompetence.

Good luck,
Kevin
Thanks for the info. As far as them stealing a part from a new Maxima, I definitely wouldn't buy any cars from them!
Old 05-22-2001, 02:43 AM

Re: Sunroof

Any news on what the resolution was on Onxymaximus' repair? My car had a similar problem (2K, late production). The dealer replaced the motor - now the auto open/close doesn't work till I use the tilt button once and the window doesn't fully close using the auto switch - has to be bumped closed with the tilt button.

Does anyone have any hard facts on what is going on that I can put in front of the dealer to get this solved once and for all? For instance, is there a series of motors/boards to be avoided? I've talked to Nissan and they say there is no TSB.