5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just pop the needles off my gauges...?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 01:17 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Just pop the needles off my gauges...?!

For a reverse indiglo gauge install on an 00-01 max, do the needles just pop-off? Or is there something else to this? All help is much appreciated!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 01:21 PM
S_H_I_F_T_

this worked for me i have a 2k SE with CLEAR needles and indiglows

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...=INDIGLO+NEEDLE

This procedure works on virtually all Nissan meters which has a digital trip/odo. If you have the analog/mechanical trip/odo, don't bother reading.

Background:
Nissan meters w/ the digital trip/odo has a built-in diagnostics function that will automatically position the needles at a fixed location for all 4 gauges (tach, speedo, fuel, temp). This location is useful for needle re-calibration.

Here's what you have to do:
Before removing your needles, you need to mark this 'fixed' location by:
a) Turning key to OFF
b) While holding the trip/odo reset button down, turn the key to IGN position & hold the button down for at least 0.8 seconds. (1-2 seconds is perfectly fine - no need to rush).
c) After that, push the button 3 times in the next few seconds (you'll have about 7 seconds to do this).

You will notice that all segments of the trip/odo will be illuminated.

NOW, when you push and hold the button, the needles will move to a fixed (calibration) mode. You can mark this spot, then safely remove the needles. As long as you're in the diagnostics mode, the needles will move to the set location when you hold the button down & return to zero position when you release the button. You can do this over & over until you are comfortable with your markings.

(To leave the diagnostics, you can simply turn the key back to the OFF position).

Now, you can remove the needles by gently prying them off.

To reinstall the needles, simply go back in to the diagnostics using the steps outlined above. Move the needle base to the 'fixed' location by holding the button down and setting the needles to the location you marked. Then, just push the needles in gently.

If you had removed the needles before marking this set location, you're basically screwed.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:25 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

YAY

That's PERFECT. Fortunatly, I did not mess with any of the needles yet, so I am good to go. Hopefully I will do this right!

Dude, I cannot thank you enough for your help...thanks MANY times over!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 01:27 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

How did you color your gauges like that? They look great!
Old 11-09-2004, 01:31 PM
S_H_I_F_T_

thanks teh gages are just indiglos bought some time ago.. needles are from a 4th gen cluster cuz i was going to use the needle lights as well but they are garbage.. im lucky i stumbled on this then... just make sure u mark the old and new gages for the calibration point and you good to go.. youre welcome 4 the info.. have fun modding
Old 11-09-2004, 01:35 PM
S_H_I_F_T_

FOR SOME REASON I ALWAYS LEAVE THIS PART OUT

Here's what you have to do:
Before removing your needles, you need to mark this 'fixed' location by:
AA) Turn the ignition to ON and change the digitial odo to trip A or B
a) Turning key to OFF
b) While holding the trip/odo reset button down, turn the key to IGN position & hold the button down for at least 0.8 seconds. (1-2 seconds is perfectly fine - no need to rush).
B1) the trip counter will reset to 000.0 (NOT the normal 0.0)
c) After that, push the button 3 times in the next few seconds (you'll have about 7 seconds to do this).

You will notice that all segments of the trip/odo will be illuminated.

NOW, when you push and hold the button, the needles will move to a fixed (calibration) mode. The feul gage may take up to a minute to reach its calibration spot You can mark this spot, then safely remove the needles. As long as you're in the diagnostics mode, the needles will move to the set location when you hold the button down & return to zero position when you release the button. You can do this over & over until you are comfortable with your markings.

(To leave the diagnostics, you can simply turn the key back to the OFF position).

That was it. I got my needles bouncing
Old 11-09-2004, 01:48 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Yeah, I found that out pretty quick! Man, these needles are a beotch to get off!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:25 PM
S_H_I_F_T_

**** i just noticed there was an important part missing. you twist the needles counterclocwise and they come off in a snap.. **** sorry dude i was at work did a quick cut and paste and didnt realize it wasnt in there.. to reinstall push gently