5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ever had this happen to you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 06:48 PM
LithiuMax

Ever had this happen to you?

As I was driving today I noticed something different about the sound quality inside my car. After I pulled over to listen more closely, I decided to conduct a series of tests to determine what was wrong with the sound. It turned out that both of the driver side speakers (and maybe the tweeter, it's hard to tell) are messed up. They produce very quiet, garbled, muffles sound that sounds like an AM stations fading in and out of frequency.

Why did this happen? Is there an easy fix? I have sort of been waiting for something to go wrong with my stock setup (other than the aftermarket sub+amp) so that I could replace the speakers and maybe the 6-disc changer, but I'm not sure if I want to do that if this is an easy fix.

Any ideas?

Old 11-11-2004, 07:08 PM

Were you playing a CD at the time? If so, I suspect it is the infamous "speakers cutting out" TSB that has been experienced by many including myself. If you were playing a CD, try taking it out and just listening to the radio. If it sounds normal with the radio, then it is definitely the aforemention TSB. I would bet your dealer will try and blame the problem on your sub and amp if you take it in too, so I would watch out for that. Dealers will try and blame burned CDs for this problem too even though that's not the case.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:15 PM
LithiuMax

Originally Posted by BigFly_2K2SE
Were you playing a CD at the time? If so, I suspect it is the infamous "speakers cutting out" TSB that has been experienced by many including myself. If you were playing a CD, try taking it out and just listening to the radio. If it sounds normal with the radio, then it is definitely the aforemention TSB. I would bet your dealer will try and blame the problem on your sub and amp if you take it in too, so I would watch out for that. Dealers will try and blame burned CDs for this problem too even though that's not the case.
Hmm.. why would it sound like **** with the CD, but not with the radio? I was playing a CD at the time. I have about 18,000 miles on the car, and have played music for about 17,900 of them. Is this about the average amount of miles for this to happen (if it is, indeed, the problem you mentioned)? I would not mind buying new speakers, but I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:34 PM

The same thing happened to my moms 03 *** max. She took it to the dealership and they replaced the head unitwith no questions. Shouldnt have any problems
Old 11-11-2004, 08:39 PM

Perhaps the laser inside the CD's unit is dirty. Try getting a kit to clean it up?
Were you playing an original recorded CD's or a copied?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:48 PM

Yes, very common problem with the 6 disk Bose. Left channel fades while playing CDs. Mine does it but only once in a while. A good hard right turn usually fixes it. I'm at 70K so no warranty fix for me. Get it fixed while you can.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:43 PM
LithiuMax

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Yes, very common problem with the 6 disk Bose. Left channel fades while playing CDs. Mine does it but only once in a while. A good hard right turn usually fixes it. I'm at 70K so no warranty fix for me. Get it fixed while you can.

Hmm.. mine doesn't just sound faded.. it sounds like it's muffled and almost as if the speakers are blown. It's sort of a rumbling noise.

Damn, I just remembered that I have a dash kit on the headunit, so I may not want to replace that.

Does anyone know if this is an issue that disappears with new speakers, or has it happened with aftermarket speakers as well?

I was playing a burned CD when it happened.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:24 AM

It's not the speakers, it's the headunit. If you replace just speakers and not the BOSE unit, you are not solving the problem.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:58 AM
"tse-tse fly"

the same prob happened with my 6 disc in dash bose cd i was playing a burned cd then the whole left side goes out then one day i drove hard over train tracks and it came back then it went out again i had an 00' se and never had this problem i put my system in not too much longer and the problem is gone i guess it is the head unit now i cant get and good fm am radio reception wtf do i gotta do
Old 11-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Same prob here, only when playing CD's.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by LithiuMax
Hmm.. mine doesn't just sound faded.. it sounds like it's muffled and almost as if the speakers are blown. It's sort of a rumbling noise.

Damn, I just remembered that I have a dash kit on the headunit, so I may not want to replace that.

Does anyone know if this is an issue that disappears with new speakers, or has it happened with aftermarket speakers as well?

I was playing a burned CD when it happened.
As mentioned, it is the headunit that is the problem. I had the same problem on my 2k2 and I can tell you that sometimes it plays fine, sometimes it sounds muffled as you say yours does, and sometimes it cuts out altogether. When you go over a bump, it will also fix itself sometimes.

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-017.pdf

Here is a link to the TSB, take it to the dealer and make them replace the headunit. I hope you have a good relationship with your dealer because I would bet they try to blame it on your aftermarket stuff.