5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Will This Be Your Last Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

no way I am buying another nissan after this one. I hate the customer service, it is like pulling teeth to get warrenty work done, and when i bought the car i was lied to just to make a sale. i am not a happy customer. But yet, I still do love my car... aside from the annoying wind noise, and rattles when i go over bumps.

next car, will not be used... never doing that again. G35 is the way to go... but then again, by the time i am ready to buy another car, there will be far better cars out then the G35.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:53 AM

Since mine is just about paid off, I'm going to keep it for some time. I'm on my 2nd Maxima and I've loved them both. I do want to look into getting a 2nd vehicle...maybe a Grand Cherokee down the road for camping, beach trips, etc. and to tow my bike.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:06 AM

I like the inside of the 6gen, and the front of the 6gen, but the back I just CANT stand. I have been looking at the Murano actually lately. But I still dig my 2k max. I wouldnt get the 6th gen maybe like others said a 2k2 or 2k3 for the 3.5

Greg
Old 11-12-2004, 09:12 AM

I'll either move to a 5.5 gen or the 7th gen if it is nice. If neither one of those happens, I'll drive mine into the ground and wait for the GT-R to come out in the US and snag one of those.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:17 AM

i'm planning to drive my maxima to the ground. if i do get another sedan it must be RWD, but seeing how the maxima's last forever (10-15 yrs) my next car will most likely be a truck/suv for hauling snowboarding gear. 4 wheel drift in the snow!
Old 11-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Banned

can't wait for the skyline...
Old 11-12-2004, 09:34 AM

Can't say for sure, though I have had no problems outside of an accident. My next purchase WILL be a 350Z in about 6 months. Then possibly a Murano for the soon to be Mrs within 2 yrs.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:07 AM

Last Maxima for me...next will be German...E46 M3 or E55
Old 11-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Banned

I'm thinking about upgrading to a Honda Civic...

Seriously, I don't know what you guys are talking about with poor service. If anyone is in NVA or MD, try Jenkens in Fred-neck or the Nissan dealer in Gaithersburg on 355 (great for parts: never tried their service dept.). I never had a problem with either except when I complained about the paint job: both said it was my driving habits.

I agree on the 6th gen outtake. can't say I like any of it except for the engine.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:00 AM

This will be it for me and Maxima..I'll probably drive my 01 to the ground, but if i need another car..I will most likely be an Acura ( TL or RL). I dont mind the 6th Gen Maxima, but I dont have the time or the energy to bicker with Nissan service to get things done under warranty. In my last car ( Honda), the service never charged me a dime, even to check the CEL...Nissan wants to charge me $40/ 0.5 hour to diagnose any problem on a $30,000plus car. Being in canada, we dont have autozone to get things like this read!!
Old 11-12-2004, 11:03 AM

It'll be nice to get nissan to read this thread...this should drill some sense into them...
Old 11-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Last

Last Maxima (I dont like the direction in styling).

It will be my last Nissan/Infiniti ever. The constant fight to get items covered correctly under warranty soured me on Nissan. I expect "small" problems (for initial purchase) and to have them fixed without hassle or fight. Not with nissan. Every excuse in the book is tossed at me. And I have caught them in lies, which infuriates me.

I get better service AND quality from my local Ford dealer. Yup, thats right. My wifes 15K four cyclinder car has NO rattles, no wind noise and when its serviced, its done correctly the first time and NO ADDITIONAL damage is done to the car! Paint sticks to the car and other than brakes/tires and filters no money outta my pocket.

Nissan has cut to many corners and will start drifting back into money problems if they are not careful.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by takkar
It'll be nice to get nissan to read this thread...this should drill some sense into them...

They dont care.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:12 AM

i would have to agree with most people on this thread. I love my car and i dont want to get rid of it but it seems like all the factors are against me. The dealerships and service are horrible, the 6th Gen is ugly and the price is way over 30Gs. I dont know that even a nice lookin 7th gen will bring me back.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:14 AM

This car was my first Japanese car. Previous vehicles were Fords (89 and 96 T-birds). I really love how solid and quiet this car is, not to mention the performance/hp. Had some problems like everyone else (5 Bose stereos later...) but I still like the car. I really love some of the features like the heated seats/steering wheel and the HID headlights.

BUT I really miss RWD and I can't stand how lousy the friggin turning diameter is. I could manuever my big heavy T-bird with ease compared to this Maxima, mostly noticable when trying to park the car in tight spots.

I'm also not impressed with the stock tires they put on these cars - it'd be different if they had decent dry traction, but the Potenzas just suck no matter what.. my T-bird was easier to deal with in the rain. I'm just ticked because I'll have to put a set of tires on my car before winter (just hit 20k miles) because these RE92s are just dangerous.

My lease is up in March '06 so depending what's out there I'll probably go with a lightly used G35 sedan or possibly a Lexus GS400. I can't seem to find a bad thing about those GS300/400 cars. Plus I hear both Infiniti and Lexus really knows how to treat their customers. With Nissan they don't care if you own the top end Maxima or a Sentra..

One thing I can say for sure is my next car will be Japanese!
Old 11-12-2004, 11:18 AM

i dont think i will own another maxima..i want an m3 so badly thats my next car....
Old 11-12-2004, 12:00 PM

this is my first and probably not my last max. i personally like the 6th gen. (not nearly as much as the 5th or 3rd, but more than 1 or 2) (tied with 4th gen) i am going to have my max for a long time unless, god forbid, something should happen to it. after that i may pick up another maxima, but right now am leaning toward 350Z or G35 coupe. (need the sports car before i have kids, and then again after) i am happy with nissan and the service. i would consider a TL or RL, maybe GS. IMO toyota seems to be becoming the GM of japan and the cheapness is starting to show.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:28 PM

Damn you 5th genners really hate the 6th gen huh??
Old 11-12-2004, 12:37 PM

About dealerships: Having been on the Honda side of things for a year, I can say the two dealerships I have dealt with (one in Minnesota and one in NY) have both been horrible, so the problem of bad dealers isn't obviously only Nissan. On the contray, after two bad dealership experiences in NY (Vestal and Amity) I've finally found a good Nissan dealership here in St. Cloud, Minnesota. It's completely changed the way I look at Nissan service to the point where it's not like pulling teeth anymore. But it's still not enough to keep me from jumping ship from the Maxima, which leads to my next point ...

On hating the 6gen - it's a nice looking car and all, and I'm sure it's fast, but it's way too big and they've definitely upped the price range to put it out of reach of former Maxima folks. It's just plain overkill for someone like me.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:30 PM

Next car may be a Infiniti G Sedan or M45. I would perfer if the car was made in Japan. If th 6th gen was RWD, then I would get it.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Qmax03

If i decide to keep the car itll be here for YEARSSSS to come my sister will get it in another year then my little sister , me either ill get a g35c or a lex GS430...depending on if i want somehting smaller or larger. BUT NEVER ANOTHER NISSAN... cars are good but service SUCKS

Old 11-12-2004, 03:20 PM

Since i didnt see anyone post this i thought i would. More cars are becoming hybrids, im sure many of you have head the news that in 2 to 3 years
Toyota will offer a hybrid Camry
Honda will offer a hybrid v6 accord which will get over 30mpg
Nissan will offer a hybrid Altima
So who knows what the future holds but the Max's just doesnt seem as bright as it used to.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:37 PM

Oh , I have every intention in driving this bish into the ground, as my business/commute car........But the next car will be a no-nonsense luxury brand
Old 11-12-2004, 05:47 PM

Bought my 01 SE brand new. I love the car but not overly impressed with the service at the dealership. Seems everytime I go in I need brake work done. I've given up taking it there even though the car is still covered under warranty. It isn't pratical for me to take to another Nissan dealership. There's only 1 in the west end of Ottawa.

I'll not be upgrading to the 6th gen or any other Nissan/Inifinity. The G35 looks awesome and has great specs but Nissan's service sucks. My next car will probably be an Acura TL.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:53 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

First and last for me. I don't like the 6th gen.....It was fun , while I had it.....but that's it for Maximas....
Old 11-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Unless the 7th gen maxima turns out to be something incredible, (i'm not holding my breath)...
Old 11-12-2004, 07:52 PM

I think the only thing that people are waiting for to come out from Nissan will be the Skyline, i believe other then that everyones interest has been going down like the market crash in the 20's.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:09 PM

first and last for me, ill keep it as a daily as long as she lives though.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:05 PM

I honestly think this thread is very good in topic. So far, all the negative feedbacks indicate that the Maxima model is heading to extinction! Usually, the so called "brand/model loyalists" are the one who will be the repeated buyers. The faith of the Maxima future doesn't seem too bright as this thread is slowly accumulated with negative comments from owners who are disappointed especially with the dealers in responsible for the poor services and lack of customer appreciation. In addition, Nissan seems to slowly fade out the Maxima model as their recent introduction of new models (Altima/G35) that are equivalent or better in price/performance.

I think this thread should be a "sticky" in 4th - 6th gen forums so that we, the true enthusiasts of the Maxima nameplate, voice our opinions as to how we should be treated by Nissan and their associated dealerships for purchasing their so called "flagship" model. Perhaps we can tally all the responses and forward it to Nissan headquarters. I know this has been done before with other related issues such as poor paints, warped rotors, etc... But who knows, this may help save the Maxima nameplate from extinction? If not, the information from the responses will help educate others in better understanding the expectation from our respected "enthusiast" Maxima owners.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:16 PM

I love my max, but now for the same price I could get an STI or EVO, which I would probably get instead of another Maxima.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:15 AM

This will definatly be my last maxima. I will be looking for a used but nice 350Z to slap a twin turbo on. I don't think the maxima is a good enough mixture of luxury and sport to not want one or the other.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:50 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Next car will be an Infiniti. Mostly due to service differences between the two.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:14 AM

this is my last maxima and might be last FWD ......love the VQ, I would go for infiniti or maybe acura
Old 11-13-2004, 06:31 AM

good to see a thread like this. i'm battling myself right now to just keep her(2k2max) or get on the evo. the max is the **** though, but not a lot of options for modding which i knew but tried to ignore but it aint working anymore. my only complaints are the back deck rattle, bullsh!t bose speakers cutting off, and the death warrant craptenzas. those are all minor and my nissan dealer has been good to me, so its just me wanting to do more with my car mod wise. i'm gonna ride her out for at least a year or two. luv the mix of luxury and sportiness tho
Old 11-13-2004, 06:44 AM

This is my second max - I had a 4th gen previously. But this will be it for me. The 6th gen interior feels like a big gimmick and the front end has never grown on me. Actually, Nissan's interior styling trend on a whole over the last few years has generally left me cold. The 5th gen interior is classic, clean, and feels pretty upscale for the price.

My next car is many years down the road but will likely be an Acura, Lexus, or BMW.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:51 AM

This will most likely be my last Maxima. It's my second one and I have loved both of my Maximas a great deal. I started with a `93 SE and then graduated to a `01 SE. However, I don't like the direction Nissan decided to go with the design of the newest Maxima. I think that the new Altima SE-R looks pretty decent, but I've never been a fan of the Altima's body styling, and that's one of the reasons I can't bring myself to enjoy all the looks of the 6th Generation Maxima. I only really like the rear of the 6th Generations; I can't stand to look at the front-end or the sides. It looks like a bloated Altima to my eyes.

I will probably hold on to my Maxima for a few more years, or maybe just keep it in the family. But I don't really see myself purchasing another Maxima if Nissan continues to design them the way they have been. The Maxima, for me, has always been a car with comfort, roominess and speed. That's one of the reasons why I purchased a second, when my first died. I will most likely buy an SUV next, if not an SUV then the new TL. I've wanted a Chevy Tahoe Z71 for the past three years, but they are pretty damn expensive and they swallow gas. The winters in NYC can get real nasty and the Maxima doesn't perform too well in the white stuff.

~ Kirk
Old 11-13-2004, 06:57 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

this thead won't do anything to wake nissan up, since the average age buyer is 35-40, who cares about us young bucks trying to get our trill you know.

anyways, I love my 2k2 and I'm sticking to it. if I get anything else I'm paying this one off and staying with it. my next car or anything would be an suv " ARMADA " for the new england weather.

Nissan for life!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2004, 07:07 AM

yes this will be my last maxima I hate 6gen they look ugly, right now I’m owner of 2002 6spd and I love it. And also I hate that the 6gen is made in US.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:12 AM

probably the last one for me. I do not like the direction is going with their styling and I definately do not like the customer service. I feel my Max has had several minor and annoying problems that the dealers refused to do anything to help.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:40 AM

Considering I probably have to go to the dealer this afternoon to pull SES light codes, I'll let you know if they make me pissy too.

I've only had my max a few months, but for a front-wheel-drive sedan with an automatic transmission.... its still a nice car. Practical, clean, and quick enough. (but i want my manual tranny!)

As for whether I'll get another, I dont know. Hopefully I can keep her for at least till I'm out of college, at which point I'll need something a little sportier (and RWD!)

Quick Reply: Will This Be Your Last Maxima?