5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Will This Be Your Last Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 10:18 AM

I recently drove my friend's RX330, and I loved it so I dont know if i can stick with midsized cars anymore. The New TL is also f*cking nice. I dont know.... hopefully the 7th gen can change my mind because the 6th gen looks like a battleship.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:14 AM

I also believe that many 6gen buyers bought the car becuase of the reputation its built and the realibility ratings from the 3fd-5gen max and i wont be suprised if these new buyers will be a little disappointed.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:25 AM

We love the 2k but now more Max for us. Too expensive to not drive it until it is dead. Never really liked the 6 Gen Max.

I am with most of you guys: G35 Sedan or new Legacy (real sharp car)
to replace the Maxima. I do like the 2005 Frontier.....

Travis
Old 11-13-2004, 11:29 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

my friend at the dealer stated that they don't know if maxima's death is coming but they assume that nissan will make it a "q45" size car and leave the sport to the altima.

(they is people at nissan)
Old 11-13-2004, 11:38 AM

Most of the new buyers bought the car becuase of the reputation its built and the realibility ratings from the 3fd-5gen max and i wont be suprised if these new buyers will be a little disappointed.

I love my max's but I'm not sure about Nissan again .....

But the true is "The faith of the Maxima future doesn't seem too bright as this thread is slowly accumulated with negative comments from owners who are disappointed especially with the dealers in responsible for the poor services and lack of customer appreciation...."

I think some thing like that kill the 300z before...
Old 11-13-2004, 02:21 PM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

good thread.

just starting to settle into this car so it will be my daily for many more years to come. when it's time to move on i'll be taking a very serious look at the new M45. if utility becomes more of an issue i'll be looking at a titan or new LR3.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Definately a last Maxima for me. Had many minor problems with the car since 40k mark. All these problems add up to big bucks. Compared to Toyotas i had before, Maxima is a hassle to maintain. The metal seems to rust much quicker than other cars I owned and overall the materials dont last long. Additionally no other car company i was ever involved with has ever treated me with such ignorance as Nissan. even with warranty left i still dont go to the dealer because of the hassle. They will rip me off anyways so I rather do all the work myself or go to my trusty non Nissan mechanic shop.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:56 PM

my first and last maxima. in fact, already sold it and picked up a new G35 Coupe. i miss it but the G35 makes up for it.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:58 PM

I cant say for certain that my 02 SE will be my last Maxima but, I can say with GREAT certainty that the 6G Maxima will never have a place in my garage. (The only exception being a rental, possibly.)

That said, Maximas are currently priced too close to more upscale sedans (i.e.: TL, G35S, A4) for me to really consider as a viable option. The spirit of the Maxima (3/4/5G) now exists in the Altima 3.5L.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:27 PM

Last Nissan...

This is my first and last Maxima. It has, for me, destoyed the myth of Japanese build quality superiority. My wife's American built Honda is superior in every way except power (4 cyl. vs. 6cyl.)

After owning a 2001 Sentra SE and now a 2000 Maxima SE I can't see myself owing another Nissan in the near future. Very poor build quality, poor dealer service (and I go to the best dealership in the state according to some), oddly
missing features in a near-luxury model, etc.

I really wish I could have afforded a Max in its glory-days. I always wanted one of the early 4DSC! Or a 240Z...

Oh well, you pays your money and takes your chance. You can't take it with you anyway...
Old 11-13-2004, 08:40 PM

Wow... I'm surprised, but not really, to see how many negative posts there are in this thread over the past few days....

I'm surprised because my 2k2 6 speed has been awesome (problem free and great performance since I got it) and its disappointing to hear so many of ya have problems with your 5th Gens....

On the other hand, I've been in recent Altimas and a 6th Gen Maxima and they're awful... so I guess I can't fault anyone for not wanting another Nissan... and as mentioned many times before... I've had a bad experience with Nissan dealerships...

As far as next cars are concerned, if I were to get one now... it'd be a 2005 Legacy GT, or maybe an SUV of sorts...
Old 11-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Engineer/Inventor/Maximanian

This is definitely my first and last Max. I need more haulin' room and the handling of front wheel drive is a real turn-off. I have sported out the ride and handling as much as possible and still find the G35 to be a more balanced driver.

The 6th Gen Max is too close in price to the G35; I'd take a G35 over the new Max in a heartbeat! My next car will be rear or all wheel drive, power north of 300 HP, the list is short: either a FX45 or an S4 Avant.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:51 PM

i was surprised to see soo many negative requests too. the 2k2 has been good to me besides very minor things. but the future of the max is whats playing the biggest part it seems. too bad on Nissan's part. why can't we get some legit luxury with serious performance, the new infiniti m45 anyone?? what a sexy car a long with the g coupe. for all the negatives, is the fufutre playing more of a role or is it mainly the service if you had to chose one??
Old 11-13-2004, 09:02 PM

i love my 5th gen and would most likely get another nissan, not necessarily a maxima, but i wouldnt mind gettin one of the new 6th gens, theyre just as fun to drive, and have a lot smoother ride due to the independent rear suspension. It all depends on the money situation, but i am most likely going to keep my 5th gen for another 10 years.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:11 AM

last nissan, gotta make room for the infiniti's
Old 11-14-2004, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
last nissan, gotta make room for the infiniti's
i agree, i dont want to be unfair to the infinitis... or the BMWs, or the Benz, or the.....
Old 11-14-2004, 09:54 AM
drag racing is for wussies

I will never trade my 01 Maxima in, runing her to the ground. 100K miles on her, and she runs, accelerates better than new- plus gets way better gas mileage. My next ride- 06 Titan SE OffRoad KingCab 4WD- with a 4" suspension lift and a 4" body lift, bead lockers, big SupperSwampers on it, a Light bar. I need a tall rig If Toyota comes out with the new Tundra V8 Turbo Diesel, then I'm for sure getting that Diesel rocks !
Old 11-14-2004, 09:58 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

depends on if I decide to keep my Max until the 7th gens come out. If not, definately a G35.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:40 PM

Wow!!!! Too many complains about the service, and something else............. I'm still wonder why I can't keep my eyes away from the TL's, CTS or the new subaru ..... Even worst when my wife start talking about the 4runner.... Sad right!!!!!!!!! but maxima era semms to be dead soon........... Don't get me wrong I love my car but when something goes bad (Eng coils!!!) ouch!!!!! Dealer quotes ouch!!!!!! ........Someone said M45 mm seems to be sexy lady.........But still I'll keep my baby for about 2 years more.........
Old 11-14-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by maximadave
depends on if I decide to keep my Max until the 7th gens come out. If not, definately a G35.
I just hope that the 7G isnt designed by the same studio that designed the 6G. The 6G design studio should have a place reserved on Scott Peterson's lap when he gets fried.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:25 PM

once my max is tired, and its time to retire, I would like to get a bmw 540, or 545, assuming this is ten years from now. something bmw, german in the 5 series range with a V8
Old 11-14-2004, 06:24 PM
meh

I go back and forth sometimes. I got my 03 new and so far, the car has been great, needing only oil changes and turned rotors and pads. The car is leaps and bounds more reliable and sportier than the car I replaced it with, and so in that respect I am happy with the car. I've only had one experience with the dealership, and while not being horrible, left much to be desired in terms of service, so from then on I've pretty much shunned any dealership and have the work done myself.

I don't mind the 6th gen, but don't think that that would be a car that I would replace this with. I've been thinking alot on the new M-series of Infinitis and that has really caught my eye. But I'd also like a second, fun car and for that I've been thinking maybe I'd replace this with cheaper daily driver (along the lines of new mazda 3, used wrx, etc.) so I could spend more money on/for the second car, rather than having one really nice car.

Then again, maybe I'll just keep the car forever and just pay it off, and use it as my dd.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:34 PM

This is gonna be my last Maxima. I kinda wanna turbo it or maby even do a twin turbo but i havent found anywhere or anyone that can do that. I know that i for sure want a turboed car next. Love the feel of a turbo at work, not to mention the sound. Maby not my last Nissan though...kinda intrested in the 300zx TT's. Or maby a supra TT could be next? Something reletivly cheap and super fast, so i dunno. i love my Max though..
Old 11-17-2004, 01:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My last Maxima for sure

My 2000 SE Maxima blew its engine at 57k miles--1 month after warrenty expired. Nissan refused to help. I will never buy a Nissan product again.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:53 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

You said that in your thread that was locked as well. Why keep posting about if you're not going to buy another "Nissan" product. Better yet, why register on this site just to say the same thing over and over again?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:54 AM

Most likely this is my last but i am not going to say for sure, who knows what the future holds for the max. My next car is going to be more sport oriented either and STI, Cobra, M3, or.......... G35 coupe with the 4.3 liter stroker kit and a super-charger
Old 11-17-2004, 06:03 AM

My car has had no problems whatsover (03 SE with 36k miles) However it will be my last maxima ever. Maybe since I'm getting older, and just joined the professional world (go accountants!!! Woo hoo!) I kinda want a more refined car, less road noise, smoother ride. I'm not looking for power anymore, just enough power is fine for me. My next car will probably be an ES330 or an avalon.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ryans Maxima
I'm not looking for power anymore, My next car will probably be an ES330 or an avalon.
that's redundant.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

I have been driving a Maxima since 1998. It just has lost some of its luster. I am probably going to move on to another maker. Acura/BMW are next in line for me.
I still love looking at my car every day though.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yes this will be my last nissan maxima --6th generation does not compare to my 2k2 --it was awesome when i got it but it slowly got crappier as the 3 years ive had it gone by--prob wouldnt buy a nissan at all --maybe an infiniti g35 sedan but who knows
Old 11-17-2004, 12:53 PM

Agreed with above. My 01 is like a man on steroids for a few years but it does NOT age well, compared to my older Accord.

A little more refinement and comfort, rather than crude power, is called for my next car.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Maxima Pilot

I have 27.5k miles on my three-year old SE 5-speed and, other than the rotor warping issues I fixed for good with the Wilwood brake kit, my car has been flawless and completely reliable....nothing, NOTHING at all has gone bad with this car -and it's still fun to drive, lovely to look at and all that.

That said, it likely will be my last Maxima because I intend to drive it until my retirement (five years from now) at which point I'll prolly buy a pickup to tow a boat behind......

I dunno which pickup, I do know what boat: a Grady-White 265 cuddy with twin 150hp Yamaha HPDIs
Old 11-17-2004, 03:54 PM

When i first started this thread i thought it was going to be evenly divided, but after seeing everyones post it looks like over 90% of the people are admitting that most likely this will be there last max. I guess it shows how nissans styling and quality has decreased.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by Ryans Maxima
My car has had no problems whatsover (03 SE with 36k miles) However it will be my last maxima ever. Maybe since I'm getting older, and just joined the professional world (go accountants!!! Woo hoo!) I kinda want a more refined car, less road noise, smoother ride. I'm not looking for power anymore, just enough power is fine for me. My next car will probably be an ES330 or an avalon.
Sorry to hear that you are an accountant..........
Old 11-22-2004, 10:00 PM

Yes. Not that I have anything particularly bad to say about the Max, but after two it's time for a change. The next one will be RWD - maybe a G35.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:13 PM

maybe a 7th if they can get 300 to the ground. I wish the mad a sentra that could compete with an EVO or an Sti beings this normal versions are in the same class. Could you imagine an all wheel sentra with a twin-turbo vq35 with something like 405bhp and 450lbs. swet dreemz~~~~~~
Old 11-23-2004, 06:56 AM

This will be my last Maxima and probably my last Nissan. I have been so unsatisfied with my 2k2 Max that I leave the keys in it at night in hopes that someone steals it and burns it or dumps it in a lake.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not no, but HELL NO! Longest case of buyers remorse I ever had! Lasted well over a year. Everytime I read something bad in this forum, it happed to my car. The local devilship is as horrible as you guys from other areas are reporting. This is their flagship??? If this is how much they care about the flagship, they're in deep dodo. I wouldn't touch another Nissan for love or money! I have the super black paint job and it looks like it's 10 older than it is. I believe it's too late for Nissan to pull their heads out of the sand.
Mitsu*****i here I come!
Old 11-26-2004, 12:14 PM

I moved from a 92 Honda Accord coupe. It was a great jump, especially with a baby. I am not sure if I'll buy another Max but I am sure I WILL NEVER BUY NEW CARS EVER AGAIN! Regardless of how much money I have. Rather buy any used car and modify then spend full price on any car that depreciates (every car). Who's with me!?
Old 11-26-2004, 01:27 PM

Will this be my last maxima?

Yep.

There are entirely too many nicer vehicles out there that do what I am looking for.

The 6th Gen Maxima is hideous to the "Max" and Nissan is pushing the Maxima into the big sedan role...losing it's sporty nature it use to have.

The Maxima was suppose to stand out as a sporty FWD 4 door. the 4th Gen begin it's transition from sporty to sedate. the 6th Gen has completed the transition. just to clarify, Being fast in a straight line doesn't make it sporty. Sorry.

I'll probably end up buying a WRX or IS300.

Quick Reply: Will This Be Your Last Maxima?