5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I've Decided Tein H-tech and GR2

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 03:50 PM

I've Decided Tein H-tech and GR2

One thing that helped me come to this decision is I purchased GR2s a couple years ago for my cougar and they seemed like nice struts... I am sick of hearing about H&Rs and Maxspeeds and sagging / wearing out issues (seems like these springs have a lot of drama attached). Also if I spend the money the car better handle MUCH MUCH better. Well....

WHERE is the cheapest place to find Tein H-techs and KYB GR2 struts.

They can be 2 seperate locations, but I found the GR2s on shox.com for $350 for a set of 4.

Help me save some money please....
Old 11-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

H&R's DON'T SAG, not any more than any other spring over 10-15 years. The "sag" everyone talks about is the drop of the spring. H&R's drop 1.4" in front, and 1.3" in back. There is a little more wheel-well to tire gap in front because of this. Don't forget that front wheel-wells on most cars are larger than the wheel-wells on the back, to allow for the front tires to turn and absorb shock without rubbing issues. Some people don't like the gap, and make simply inaccurate statements that the springs "sag in back", when in reality it is the way the springs are designed. That is also the reason why H&R springs ride closer to stock (smooth, not harsh), because there is more suspension travel left intact in the front suspension.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:53 PM

I hope it turns out good for you. Checkout Ebay or the group deal forum.

BTW, the reason that people compare between the Maxspeed and H&R springs was because they provide the same drop at the front/rear. Then the controversial debate arised stating that both springs provide similar performance at a different cost. But in reality, they are NOT. I have had the H&R springs/Tokico Blue for awhile am still very happy with its performance. There were several threads in the past dicussing the pro/con between the Tokico Blue & GR2 also. The best way to make the decision when choosing the suspension setup is to get ride from a local member with that particular setup, IMO.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:03 PM

Ebay checked - All I found was S-Techs
Found some HPs for $295 shipped..

It is tough because I don't even know anybody who is in the Atlanta / Columbus , GA area... I wish I knew somebody from the area who was lowered so I can feel it out. From what I have heard Tein H Techs are pretty compliant (Not jarring) and they are about the same drop as H&R
Old 11-13-2004, 05:11 PM

Not really with the drop. They are similar in pricing though. The major differences would be the engineering/manufacturing between the two brands.

H&R = German
Teins = Japan

Here are some links:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=341961
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=322033
Old 11-13-2004, 06:25 PM

I have this same set up. I love it. PM me with email addy if you want some pics.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by filtor1
I have this same set up. I love it. PM me with email addy if you want some pics.
It isn't too "jarring" is it? A nice comfortable ride with performance?
Old 11-13-2004, 07:01 PM

I heard H-Techs are good, talk to Edward Lee and HCT67 ... but I also heard GR-2s are much stiffer than stock and the HPs.... all the best...
Old 11-13-2004, 07:36 PM

I have the ......

I have the Tein H Techs with Illuminas. I love this setup. If I were you I would go with the Illuminas for a extra $130 over the GR2s for the adjustabilty & resale should you decide to go back to stock at some point. Settings of 3 front 3 rear you would be suprised at how nice the ride is. Think about it this way if you dont like the harshness of the GR2s theres nothing you can do. With the Illuminas you have 5 settings to play with.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kevon1
I have the Tein H Techs with Illuminas. I love this setup. If I were you I would go with the Illuminas for a extra $130 over the GR2s for the adjustabilty & resale should you decide to go back to stock at some point. Settings of 3 front 3 rear you would be suprised at how nice the ride is. Think about it this way if you dont like the harshness of the GR2s theres nothing you can do. With the Illuminas you have 5 settings to play with.
Sounds like good advice to me....

Ride looks good too, Kevon...
Old 11-13-2004, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Sounds like good advice to me....

Ride looks good too, Kevon...
Well thanks!
Old 11-14-2004, 02:32 PM

Having the luxury of adjustable shocks is probably very nice, but it doesn't seem to appeal to me very much for some reason. Maybe because I also own a 99 cougar w/sport package and it has GR2s! The car handles like it is on rails, literally. I can take turn 15 MPH faster in it easily with no wheel slippage or body roll (STOCK SPRINGS). I don't think there is too much I could do to the maxima to make it as stiff as my cougar and as long as the maxima wont be "jarring" I can handle it.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by mdloops
It isn't too "jarring" is it? A nice comfortable ride with performance?
At first it is very abbrasive. I drove to Miami and through a construction area my glove box opened over medium size bumps. After the first 300 miles, the ride became much better. Through downtown Tampa, it is rough due to the crappy roads, but on the highway, it rides exactly how I want it. Very smooth, and very responsive. From a performance standpoint, I give rave reviews. I have almost 0 body roll, even with a trunk full of luggage.

I chose this setup based upon the slightly softer spring rate coupled with a stiffer shock/strut. And last but not least is the even drop. Upon installation I had the stock springs and the H&R's to compare to. There was a huge difference in build between the Tien's and the stockers. The Tien's were also a bit thicker than the H&R's. The Tiens do come prewrapped with the plastic ring on top and bottom, which the others do not, for niose reduction. I also took pics of the springs as well, for comparison purposes. I am, however, not smart enough to post pics here. Like I said before, I can send you pics of the comparisons as well as th drop. Sorry so long,

Chris